Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Instument Cluster Freaking Out

Driving this weekend and the instrument cluster starts freaking out with gauges bouncing around, the entire cluster going blank for a few seconds then coming back etc. Happened several times over maybe 30 minutes of driving. I'm taking it in to the dealership Friday to have it checked out, which I imagine will result in a re-flash of the computer, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about the longevity of the electronics in this car. It only has 4,000 miles on it now.

Anyone else experience this issue?
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Lord Dirt

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Sounds like you need to go to a dealership quickly
GARNET RED TINTCOAT 2SS, A8, NPP DUAL EXHAUST, MY LINK AUDIO SYSTEM W/NAV, 20" Staccato M183 Black Niche Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 Tires, ROTO-FAB CAI, Black ZL1 Spoiler, DARKEST LEGAL TINT, Black "SS" TIRE VALVE STEMS, CAMARO SS LICENSE PLATE FRAME
Lord Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
I've heard about it but typically not that often in that amount of time, only good news is that it sounds like it's happening enough that the dealer should be able to replicate and address the problem. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
I just got mine fixed yesterday. It was doing that PLUS the whole screen went black. The dealership UPDATED the software yesterday.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
I just got mine fixed yesterday. It was doing that PLUS the whole screen went black. The dealership UPDATED the software yesterday.

AND fixed it, for now............................................

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Blazin383

It's going in Friday morning, but I won't let my wife drive it until it gets fixed out of fear that the engine control electronics my join the instruments and leave her stranded somewhere... or worse! So far it hasn't affected how the car runs, but who knows! Certainly the engine is completely controlled by computers too!

The first thing I noticed was when I came out of a restaurant and discovered the car was unlocked. I have the auto lock engaged, so it's not like I forgot to lock it, but sure as heck when I came out of the restaurant it had apparently unlocked itself. It's after that that the instruments started freaking out.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Blazin383

So I took the car to the dealership today. They said the tech spent 90 minutes on the phone with the Chevy tech support people moving up the support chain until one of them recognized the issue. They said it's an IPhone / Chevy Bluetooth interface issue due to a recent iPhone update. And Apple is supposedly working on it.

I'm skeptical since if it were an iPhone/Chevy Bluetooth interface issue why aren't there tens of thousands of people having the same issues and raising hell over it? My dealers service rep said its the first time he's heard of it.

Additionally, I've had the car for 5 months and driven it 4300 miles with the same iPhones. If it's an interface issue why did it only show up last weekend, and why has it been fine since?

I'm not at all convinced the iPhone is to blame.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
I do not see how that would effect your instrument cluster. I have the update, used it in the car for the first time this morning. Actually thought things were improved. Not sure they are correct on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
So I took the car to the dealership today. They said the tech spent 90 minutes on the phone with the Chevy tech support people moving up the support chain until one of them recognized the issue. They said it's an IPhone / Chevy Bluetooth interface issue due to a recent iPhone update. And Apple is supposedly working on it.

I'm skeptical since if it were an iPhone/Chevy Bluetooth interface issue why aren't there tens of thousands of people having the same issues and raising hell over it? My dealers service rep said its the first time he's heard of it.

Additionally, I've had the car for 5 months and driven it 4300 miles with the same iPhones. If it's an interface issue why did it only show up last weekend, and why has it been fine since?

I'm not at all convinced the iPhone is to blame.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Blazin383

I was less than happy about their suggested resolution. Their resolution was "un-link your iPhone from the Bluetooth and don't use it". To me that's like saying we discovered your engine is over heating because of the air conditioner so we suggest you don't use your air conditioner. Unacceptable!

They suggested that I disconnect the iPhone from the car for a month and see what happens. After I explained that the phone interface feature was one of the big selling points and had a lot to do with my decision to buy a $50,000 car from them rather than a competitor, and that it's also a significant part of how my wife and I communicate while we're mobile. I told them what I'm going to do is leave the phones linked to the car and if it happens again I'll immediately disconnect the phones and see if the problem goes away. If it clears up immediately we'll know it's likely got something to do with the phone, if not, there is another issue somewhere.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
Driving this weekend and the instrument cluster starts freaking out with gauges bouncing around, the entire cluster going blank for a few seconds then coming back etc. Happened several times over maybe 30 minutes of driving. I'm taking it in to the dealership Friday to have it checked out, which I imagine will result in a re-flash of the computer, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about the longevity of the electronics in this car. It only has 4,000 miles on it now.

Anyone else experience this issue?
This happened to me about 3 weeks ago on the freeway. The gauges all fluttered around and then completely shut off for about 5 seconds, then came back on again. It's only ever happened that one time so far...

I was on the phone, but I wasn't using the bluetooth. Seriously doubt it has anything to do with the bluetooth. That sounds silly.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #11
msznolv

Drives: Red Hot 2016 2SS
Last night my cluster started freaking out. Tach and Speedo would drop to zero then back then back to zero. Then StabiliTrak warning came on. Then every warning came on. Two weeks ago I was just cruising down the highway and the cluster went to zero and stayed there. I pulled over and shut the car off, waited a few seconds then started it back up. Was fine until last night. Calling the dealership this morning to get it in. I noticed bluetooth mentioned in the thread. I have an Android and the last week or so it hasn't connected to my phone properly. It'll say it connects but when I try to use voice commands to make a call, it says there's no phone connected. Then magically it works again. Never had any of these issues since I bought it in Dec last year. I'll post what the dealer says after I get it in.

Update: Dealer found nothing wrong. Of course it wasn't doing it today when I drove it in. They're blaming my Vitesse throttle controller which has been installed for over 6 months with no prior issue.

Last edited by msznolv; 09-28-2017 at 02:57 PM.
msznolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Raiders69

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 6speed
I have a 2016 Camaro SS 6speed and after 3 trips to the dealership they still haven't figured out why my rpm needle continues to bounce around randomly. The car runs great but the rpm needle just bounces around.
Raiders69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #13
bkircher

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Garnett Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders69 View Post
I have a 2016 Camaro SS 6speed and after 3 trips to the dealership they still haven't figured out why my rpm needle continues to bounce around randomly. The car runs great but the rpm needle just bounces around.
I'm having the same issue with mine. They are claiming it's a loose ground wire somewhere. I have a trouble ticket going right now with GM. I'm taking mine into my dealership Monday to have them try and fix it again.

Also you should look at the topic I have for this issue as well.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509006
bkircher is offline   Reply With Quote