Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 AM   #29
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Waiting for the stupid service manual to be released by Chevrolet ....

In the mean time you can pull the fuse for onstar. Only downside to this is that the microphone is embedded in the same control module so you lose the in-car mic.

Doesn't bother me at all since i dont talk on the phone while in the car.

Hopefully once the service manual is released, the instructions to get to the module will be in there and I'll be able to open it up and disable the radio portion of the control module only and leave the rest intact and active.
It would be great if the OnStar transceiver could be "unplugged". I have no problem enabling it whenever I go to sell the car.

OnStar itself should be an option in its entirety. With everyone owning a smartphone that has a very good GPS these days the only real benefits of OnStar are remote door unlock (and since virtually every car in the last 20 years has had remote locks I don't know how anyone would lock their keys in their car) and theft recovery. Neither are worth it to me.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:19 AM   #30
tcbracing

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
It would be great if the OnStar transceiver could be "unplugged". I have no problem enabling it whenever I go to sell the car.

OnStar itself should be an option in its entirety. With everyone owning a smartphone that has a very good GPS these days the only real benefits of OnStar are remote door unlock (and since virtually every car in the last 20 years has had remote locks I don't know how anyone would lock their keys in their car) and theft recovery. Neither are worth it to me.
Some other advantages to Onstar...

- Turn by Turn navigation - when not equipped with Nav, you can still get INTEGRATED navigation without tying up your cell phone

- In Trip Diagnositcs - Onstar can remotely access your on board diagnostics while you are driving down the road and can give you trouble codes so you can verify if that CEL is serious or can wait

- Vehicle locator - Access to GPS location of your vehicle from the remote app.

To me it's like car insurance - you might not ever need to use everything it can provide, but when you do, you're glad it's there. If I can't afford $15-$20 month, I shouldn't be driving a new Camaro...

2SS Convertible, Mosaic Black, Red Hashmark, Adrenaline Red Interior, A8, NPP, MRC, 56R Wheels

6/6/2016 Dealer entered order
6/7/2016 Received order # TMXWV0 - Status 1100
6/11/2016 Status 3000
6/22/2016 Status 3400 - TPW 6/27
6/29/2016 My car is born!!
7/13/2016 Status 4300
7/14/2016 Status 4B00
7/18/2016 Status 4200
7/25/2016 Status 4800
7/29/2016 Status 5000 - Drove home!!
tcbracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:57 AM   #31
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbracing View Post
Some other advantages to Onstar...

- Turn by Turn navigation - when not equipped with Nav, you can still get INTEGRATED navigation without tying up your cell phone

- In Trip Diagnositcs - Onstar can remotely access your on board diagnostics while you are driving down the road and can give you trouble codes so you can verify if that CEL is serious or can wait

- Vehicle locator - Access to GPS location of your vehicle from the remote app.

To me it's like car insurance - you might not ever need to use everything it can provide, but when you do, you're glad it's there. If I can't afford $15-$20 month, I shouldn't be driving a new Camaro...
When running GPS on my iPhone it doesn't tie anything up. I can still play music and use the phone. Bluetooth and Car Play gives you everything on the car's display screen.

Usually a serious CEL is accompanied by other indicators or bad performance. Non-essential CEL is nothing to panic about immediately. Besides, we've gone 30+ years with the CEL and no over the phone disgnostics.... It's not gonna kill your car.

And if you don't know where your car is, should you really be driving in the first place?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #32
tcbracing

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
When running GPS on my iPhone it doesn't tie anything up. I can still play music and use the phone. Bluetooth and Car Play gives you everything on the car's display screen.

Usually a serious CEL is accompanied by other indicators or bad performance. Non-essential CEL is nothing to panic about immediately. Besides, we've gone 30+ years with the CEL and no over the phone disgnostics.... It's not gonna kill your car.

And if you don't know where your car is, should you really be driving in the first place?
And where do you mount your iPhone so that you are able to see the navigation? I have yet to find a good place in this interior. And then you're going to say "use CarPlay", but sometimes I don't want to listen to my iTunes and if I am listening to XM and have CarPlay enabled, as soon as a command comes over GPS, it switches back to iTunes...

As far as where your car is, I was implying if you aren't the one driving it (perhaps your significant other).

This really wasn't meant to be a pissing match, we get it, you don't like it, however, some us have had to use it and appreciate what it can do.

2SS Convertible, Mosaic Black, Red Hashmark, Adrenaline Red Interior, A8, NPP, MRC, 56R Wheels

6/6/2016 Dealer entered order
6/7/2016 Received order # TMXWV0 - Status 1100
6/11/2016 Status 3000
6/22/2016 Status 3400 - TPW 6/27
6/29/2016 My car is born!!
7/13/2016 Status 4300
7/14/2016 Status 4B00
7/18/2016 Status 4200
7/25/2016 Status 4800
7/29/2016 Status 5000 - Drove home!!
tcbracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #33
fastball
Banned

Quote:
And where do you mount your iPhone so that you are able to see the navigation? I have yet to find a good place in this interior. And then you're going to say "use CarPlay", but sometimes I don't want to listen to my iTunes and if I am listening to XM and have CarPlay enabled, as soon as a command comes over GPS, it switches back to iTunes...

As far as where your car is, I was implying if you aren't the one driving it (perhaps your significant other).

This really wasn't meant to be a pissing match, we get it, you don't like it, however, some us have had to use it and appreciate what it can do.
That's why it should be an option. You like it, you should pay extra for it. You don't like it, you shouldn't be forced to have it.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
You don't like it, you shouldn't be forced to have it.
So is it possible to escape from the dealership with your new Camaro with OnStar guaranteed to NOT be turned on even for the free initial trial?

Personally, I don't see anything about it that I'd ever use . . . I'd buy my own scan tool as an example of how I'd stay outside this sort of connectivity.

Norm
Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #35
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I think what we are seeing is the features that allow the new "teen driver" GM has been advertising for the Malibu.

I don't have kids, but I know I might like to know how many hard accelerations they were doing if I did.

OnStar is like any other service. It will appeal to some but certainly not all. We have it on both cars and if nothing more than the safety and security package. The ability to download directions from my phone to my car is a good feature. Me? I don't like using my phone for navigation. Mrs. Number 3 is a serious Wazer and even though we got NAV on her new ATS she still uses her phone.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #36
MCatucci

Drives: 50th 2LT RS
I just received my first report and was offended at the information they've been gathering. I was like "WTF?!" While I like the idea of having EMT called if I had an accident and am unconscious, this type of info is pure BS.
MCatucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #37
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:

There is no need to mount your cell phone. I always plug mine into the USB port and use Android Auto. The navigation is all right there on my 7 inch screen. I don't even need to look at that because it directs me verbally. And while that is going on I can take and make phone calls through my infortainment center as well as receive and send txts, all verbally. And I can do this while listening to any of my music apps. All through the infortainment system.

I can also listen to XM, FM, AM, or my thumbdrive in the other USB port while using Android Auto.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #38
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
What's funny is I just got an email on this smart driving thing. Yea, it'll be a hard pass.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #39
fastball
Banned

So obviously the dealers all have the 2016 Camaro Helms, or at least access to it, by now, but the general public still does not.

I'm not joking. I want to disable my Onstar but keep my speaker and microphone for bluetooth and cell calls.

Where the flip is the Helms for chrissake?
Old 09-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #40
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
So obviously the dealers all have the 2016 Camaro Helms, or at least access to it, by now, but the general public still does not.

I'm not joking. I want to disable my Onstar but keep my speaker and microphone for bluetooth and cell calls.

Where the flip is the Helms for chrissake?
Seriously. This is absolutely pissing me off.

I want my overpriced shop manual!!!!!

as is, i've had the onstar fuse pulled since day one of getting my car back in February. Not having the ability to have voice calling has not really been missed. but i do prefer to have the option functional if i ever need to use it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote