Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #267
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
[QUOTE=Gen6_1Le;10087039 you can pick one up now in the mid 30s .[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link? I'm looking at buying another and have only seen a couple with high mileage in the high 30's, rest are low mid 40's. Are you looking at auction prices?
LateBrakeU2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #268

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Bring back the Beretta name? Haha. As stated by others, there is more of a difference for $10k to the V8 SS vs V6 than simply adding the LT1. I get it though, lets go back to the "good ol days" of V8 cars that cant stop or turn, especially for how fast they can go. GM makes a hell of a product and you guys want to take it back to the dark ages. GM would love to put the mullett stereotype of the Camaro behind them, and you want to drag them right back into the mud.
That's not saying much for the current line up of I4 and V6 LS and LT Camaros.

Are those engines putting the Camaro back in the mud somehow? I don't think so. A V-8 could be added to the LS trim quite economically, and it would be a far cry from a car that can't stop or turn. The V-6s have more power and torque now than most "good ol days" V-8s, and even with a LT1 would handle way better than the mullet cars of yesteryear... But they won't do it because they can bleed an extra 10K out of customers just to get a V-8.

A non-SS, non 1LE, non Z/28 Camaro with a V-8....OMG, the Horror!...I don't understand the desire to unnecessarily pay a ton more money for way more than a simple engine up-grade that could be had for a lot less than a 1SS.

Last edited by 90503; 02-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #269
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Do you have a link? I'm looking at buying another and have only seen a couple with high mileage in the high 30's, rest are low mid 40's. Are you looking at auction prices?
What do you consider high mileage ? I just pulled a few up on cars.com with under 30,000 at $39k ,i am sure they will bite if you throw the right money at them . The prices will only keep coming down till the market dries up , which may this year . I think the sweet spot will be between 36k to 39k and these car are going to disappear . The z28s with above 50,000 miles are seeing the auctions because they just don't make for good used cars at a lot of dealerships. I think that goes for any cars with carbon ceramic brakes from chevy to mercedes .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #270
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

Are those engines putting the Camaro back in the mud somehow? I don't think so. A V-8 could be added to the LS trim quite economically, and it would be a far cry from a car that can't stop or turn. The V-6s have more power and torque now than most "good ol days" V-8s, and even with a LT1 would handle way better than the mullet cars of yesteryear... But they won't do it because they can bleed an extra 10K out of customers just to get a V-8.

A non-SS, non 1LE, non Z/28 Camaro with a V-8....OMG, the Horror!...I don't understand the desire to unnecessarily pay a ton more money for way more than a simple engine up-grade that could be had for a lot less than a 1SS.
Why don't you just buy a V6 camaro ?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #271
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
What do you consider high mileage ? I just pulled a few up on cars.com with under 30,000 at $39k ,i am sure they will bite if you throw the right money at them . The prices will only keep coming down till the market dries up , which may this year . I think the sweet spot will be between 36k to 39k and these car are going to disappear . The z28s with above 50,000 miles are seeing the auctions because they just don't make for good used cars at a lot of dealerships. I think that goes for any cars with carbon ceramic brakes from chevy to mercedes .
High mileage is a relative term on these as there are dozens out there with 5k or under. I looked at those on C.C and figured wholesale was probably mid thirties, but gotta think the one's with 20-30k are going to be tough to move given the nature of the car. Will be interesting to see what these do in the next year, especially if there's no gen 6. I was all set to buy a 1LE, and while they are an incredible value at 40k so is the Z. It's a safe bet the Z is close to the bottom and will hold it's water better than a 1LE, with even a potential upside when they are "discovered"
LateBrakeU2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #272
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
High mileage is a relative term on these as there are dozens out there with 5k or under. I looked at those on C.C and figured wholesale was probably mid thirties, but gotta think the one's with 20-30k are going to be tough to move given the nature of the car. Will be interesting to see what these do in the next year, especially if there's no gen 6. I was all set to buy a 1LE, and while they are an incredible value at 40k so is the Z. It's a safe bet the Z is close to the bottom and will hold it's water better than a 1LE, with even a potential upside when they are "discovered"
There were a good bit of the Z28s that were leased and are about to be returned to dealerships, after that ends i would think they will bottom out . I really believe you can get a Z28 to close to 30k . They will be a tough sell and many will hit auction . They have a uphill climb.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #273
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Try me . Is it just for having the v8 ? You can buy an 18 1ss for 35k or less now . I am not sure how much chevy would have to take out of the 1ss to lower the price by 3 to $5,000 without hurting the camaro. The gen 5 Z28 was a stripper built for the track , that hurt sales, you can pick one up now in the mid 30s .
send me a link i need a $30+k Z/28
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #274
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
send me a link i need a $30+k Z/28
There are a few on cars.com at 39k , make them a offer . i would think they are tired of watching the tires dry rot on the lot.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #275
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:

No, the I-4 and V6 arent dragging the Camaro backward. Thats becausr they are pushing forward, just as you said, the power of these engines are meeting or exceeding "the good ol days". They take the whole package into consideration, tires, suspension and brakes are built.for those cars. The V6 1LE simply applies the SS components as upgrades. If you put a big V8, with 100+ more horspower, using the tires,brakes and suspension of an I-4 or V6, yeah it's not going to stop or turn very well. It may still handle or stop better than a 3rd gen, but GM isnt going to build a car to "just beat" a 30 year old car from 3 generatiins ago. Manufacturers improve cars with successive generations, not go backwards. Then start throwing in the mullett comments, yeah, it would take the Camaro backwards.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #276
KevinTernes

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
.... GM would love to put the mullett stereotype of the Camaro behind them, and you want to drag them right back into the mud.
What's wrong with a mullett?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #277
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The fact that people who aren’t interested in this car, spend the time and effort to make such a comment, makes me laugh.
or the people who have the same year and model but don't own one
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #278
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
OR the fact the he has a 17 ZL1 1LE he must a high up at GM or ???.
well to be fair if I worked at gm I wouldn't be on a Camaro forum telling confidential information hahah I have family that does but he doesn't tell me anything like I hope and wish. I just have a good job lol
Old 02-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #279
Kise

Quote:

youre only looking at it from a customers standpoint. there might not be a giant market for a bare minimum v8 as most people these days love the technology that It comes with.
also when designing these they spend millions on developing and producing each different part.
for the 6 gen they spent over 13 MILLION on developing the exhausts & producing them. not trying to be rude, legit question, do you think they would spend those kind of figures to produce a watered down version of a 1ss? most of the time people that cant afford a zl1 wont get one. same with an ss (I have a 2ss as my daily) same with the v6 to I4. just to produce a cheaper, affordable v8 (that they already have the 1ss, 2ss, 1ssLE, 2ssLE, zl1, zl1LE) for an extremely small market, GM will have to spend millions to design develop and produce.

Last edited by Kise; 02-26-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: correction.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #280

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
youre only looking at it from a customers standpoint. there might not be a giant market for a bare minimum v8 as most people these days love the technology that It comes with.
also when designing these they spend millions on developing and producing each different part.
for the 6 gen they spent over 13 MILLION on developing the exhausts producing them. not trying to be rude, legit question, do you think they would spend those kind of figures to produce a watered down version of a 1ss?
If I recall, the 6thGen originally eliminated the LS Camaros from the line up. They had 1LT and 2LT only for the V-6 and I-4....Then came the V-6 1LE....Lo and hehold, to boost sales, the LS versions magically returned...Watered down versions of models are the foundation of the whole line-up...More and more offerings come around...ZL1-1LE, etc....Sales aren't going up because of high-end, high priced models...

Adding a V-8 option in the progression of engine options with low end trim, is not a watered down version of anything...It's simply another option that Camaro does not offer in the line up without a major leap in cost, that could be avoided with an LS trim Camaro with a V-8....Like you say, not to be rude but multiple versions, power trains and trim levels are available that weren't prohibited by saying it's too much to cost to develop. Might it need a few tweeks different from the V-6?....Sure, it will. But it's not undoable or a threat to the current 1SS or 2SS models.

To say an "economical" V-8 is impossible or too much development required is to overlook what has been done already to see that it is doable. Keeping the V-8 priced out of reach for some is a huge market that Camaro is missing out on....And they won't just buy a V-6 or I-4 only because that is more affordable.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote