Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
JLT CAI and tune update

On January 14, I installed the system. The system’s main components are the CAI, an SCT X4 and a tune designed for this CAI.

Note that it takes about one business day to receive the JLT tune after emailing the stock tune to Vinny at JLT, which is what JLT states on their website.

The install was simple. As you can see from the picture, the CAI is clean and it looks good.

I removed the sound tube and plugged the firewall. The JLT CAI will accept the sound tube setup if you wish. I don’t miss it. I think the engine sounds great without it.

The only thing I changed for the install was that I replaced the JLT firewall plug with the Gen5DIY firewall wall plug. I believe it looks better and for sure it seals tight to the firewall.

I have now driven 220 miles since the install. Several separate drives over several weekends with a combination of city, highway and interstate driving.

On the first drive after the installation, I was a little concerned. I was driving slowly out of my neighborhood and then onto some local streets up to a restaurant for breakfast. The engine surged the whole time. I was thinking perhaps I installed the MAF sensor backwards. Anyway after breakfast we drove around for another 50 miles. I still noticed a little surging at low speeds, initially. However, by the time I got back to my neighborhood, the engine was performing normally.

Every drive since then has been great. I have run through a few shifts at 4,500 – 5,000 rpm (1-2, 2-3. 3-4), then I run out of road plus I am well over the speed limit at that point. Although I do not have dyno numbers to back it up, the engine feels stronger. Granted, after spending about $750, I may be wishing it to feel stronger, but, I don’t think so.

Peak gains I expected, but, the other pleasant surprise is how much better the car feels during normal driving. Throttle response feels sharper. Just starting out in 1st gear, the response is better. Very pleased with the improved driving characteristics.

When I asked Vinny at JLT about the tune characteristics, he replied: “That's the beautiful thing about the tuning package; the car will feel better everywhere. We're simply giving you more of the power that was already there but just unlocking it in the soft tuning from the factory. Much of this is done by limiting the torque restrictions the factory tuning has.”

Overall, I am satisfied with the JLT set up.

--KLG--
Attached Images

2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Very nice. I’m happy to hear you’re satisfied with it. I had one on my 2014 and I liked it very much. Had this been out when I purchased my CAI, I would have gotten this instead.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote