Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #29
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
In stealth the valves stay closed on startup. It's still somewhat noisy on a cold start but I don't think it's any different from the standard exhaust.
This.

For anyone saying they didn't get it because they don't want to make the neighbors mad... just put it in stealth mode when starting, valves stay fully closed. Much quieter than otherwise. But honestly, I quit doing that. Every neighbor I have has their own annoyances (letting their dogs bark, late night loud music by the pool, too sensitive car alarms, honking at their kids to hurry up, etc) ... so hearing that beast roar overrides my concern of annoying them!
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
But honestly, I quit doing that. Every neighbor I have has their own annoyances (letting their dogs bark, late night loud music by the pool, too sensitive car alarms, honking at their kids to hurry up, etc) ... so hearing that beast roar overrides my concern of annoying them!
Haha, yep, I did the T mode thing out of respect for the first couple weeks, but stopped it. Unless it's ridiculously loud, people here don't give a crap. Plus, it's an older neighborhood where the houses were built like bunkers.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #31
MostlyHarmless

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matamatic View Post
Has anyone installed the Chevrolet Performance axle-back exhaust system on their SS and how does that sound during start/operation?
A few weeks ago, I rented a 17 SS for a week while on a business trip to see if I liked driving the car. The only time I was able to hear the exhaust from the outside was when I did an auto start while walking up to the car. As stated previously in the thread, it had a pretty good pop to it and I thought maybe the Chevy axle-back would be a bad idea for my future car as I leave the house very early AM and don't want to start a war with the neighbors (Well maybe not all of them).
It also had me curious since it says on the Chevy website that active noise cancellation is included for the Bose systems. Does that automatically compensate for the axle-back or does it need to have the software tweaked in a setting, or new software installed to have the ANR work to the new configuration?
Yes I have the Chevy GMPP Axlebacks. Bought them online and had my dealer fit them. I bought my 2016 2SS from dealer stock and got a great deal. Ideally would have got NPP (had it on my C7 and loved it) but the deal on the car was too good to miss

The Chevy product is either a Borla or Corsa (I forget which) but has a little Chevy symbol stamped on each tailpipe which is a nice touch

Honestly it is not better or worse than a bunch of the aftermarket solution that you could fit more cheaply, but for me personally the ability to keep my warranty intact was worth the higher price.

The Chevy product does come with a dealer installed time but no idea what that actually does.

Mark
MostlyHarmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #32
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Yeah, that signature GM large displacement roar-to-life start-up can't be quelled easily. Still think it's a little quieter in T mode.
Quote:
Haha, yep, I did the T mode thing out of respect for the first couple weeks, but stopped it. Unless it's ridiculously loud, people here don't give a crap. Plus, it's an older neighborhood where the houses were built like bunkers.
You seem to have a misunderstanding. The valves open on startup in tour mode. Only stealth mode will keep them closed.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #33
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I'm quite happy without it. To me, frankly its a waste of money without a bump in hp.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #34
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
You seem to have a misunderstanding. The valves open on startup in tour mode. Only stealth mode will keep them closed.
Duh, you're right, didn't even know it existed, as it's not listed in the drive mode selection menu. And, I can't remember seeing it in the manual. Never guessed it would be in the infotainment settings menu. I stupidly equated Stealth with Touring.

Another case of RTFM!

So I ran out and tested it and yes, it cuts off the SS's balls even on startup. Thankfully, I don't need it where I live. But it does make a noticeable difference for those that are worried about the start-up volume.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #35
Sportsfan949

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Non-NPP
Borla upgrade here

2016 2SS non NPP, installed Borla axledack this winter, can’t wait till it warms up
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #36
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I'm quite happy without it. To me, frankly its a waste of money without a bump in hp.
Yes true, about the HP bump! I think most of us get the NPP option or an aftermarket exhaust mainly for the more aggressive sound. Funny how the NPP exhaust on the Corvette with the same engine (LT1 455 HP) gains 5 HP and 10 lbs. ft. of torque , but on the Camaro with NPP...nada! Must have to do with the "suitcase" exhaust on the Camaro? The NPP exhaust on the Corvette with separate mufflers must flow better!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #37
torqueaddict

The sound of the exhaust note (esp the V8) is one of the joys of driving this car. NPP was a must. Gains irrelevant.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #38
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Quote:
The sound of the exhaust note (esp the V8) is one of the joys of driving this car. NPP was a must. Gains irrelevant.
I agree.....mine came with the standard exhaust and is just too tame sounding, so I am installing the Borla ATAK axleback next week. If it came with the NPP exhaust I would have left it alone.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #39
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
I've had both. My 1SS was non-NPP even with Flowmaster sounded good and was happy with it. When I traded it in for a 1LE with NPP the first startup I was sold on NPP. It just has the tone/sound that IMO the car should have. I guess i'm old enough (34) to be over the being loud for the sake of being loud so the straight headers or muffler delete doesn't do it for me but track mode NPP is great when I'm having fun but tour is perfect to actually have a conversation or radio or whatever. Really maybe Borla that retains NPP would be the only thing I'd even consider changing on my car and I really don't see me even doing that unless a used one for a good price came available.
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #40
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
With cutouts can you have them open partially or is it full open full closed? If you can run them partially open I would think that would be the way to go as you can find that nice medium range where it adds just the right amount of sound without sounding like an old broke down hick truck lol.
You can have them partially open as well.

I have now had SS’s with and without NPP.
Non npp is still quiter than npp in stealth mode and sounds better too imo.
Npp definitely sounds better in all other settings however, not just louder. Miss the decel popping too.

Interesting thought about the non npp probably weighting less than npp.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #41
Believe it

Drives: Camaro SS. 2001 Z3 M coupe
BTW, all come standard with the suitcase. I also have the Chevy Performance option. It is well made and has an awesome sound at start up and cruise, no drone and scary roar at wot. It is supported by Chevy, gets rid of weight and looks excellent. Cold start will rattle some windows, though.

Heartily recommend the product, and negotiate with several dealers for all in price, I paid less than list installed, and that’s the dealership that gets my business, they get it.
Believe it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #42
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Like I stated before , I love the sound of the NPP, but not going to pay extra to have it and the fact that theres no HP increase makes it a moot point . My son backed the camaro into the garage and Ill tell you the stock exhaust sounds fine . ( if you're inside the car it's noticeable quieter , but outside it sounds raspy like the old school flowmasters )
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote