Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Limited Slip Question......one wheel burnouts

So I'm watching Wheeler Dealers the other night and they are working on a Mustang with a limited slip. After driving they suspected a rear diff issue because they were only laying rubber with one wheel. This gets me to thinking.......I have a limited slip and when accelerating hard the passenger rear always breaks loose and same with burnouts. Does this mean I have a problem? Does it need a fluid change? Does it need new gears or friction plates? Is it low on fluid?

I also have a slight highway vibration that did not go away with having the tires re-balanced and after reading some threads maybe these two things are connected.

Thoughts?
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i hate to say it but i believe the friction plates are shot.could always change the fluid and add the correct GM limited slip additive and hope for the best...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
Are you turning while doing a burn out? Sometimes one side will unload and you can get one wheel peel. Happens to me once in a while, but never if I'm going straight. My truck does the same
Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
ohyeahjay

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
For all the time and money involved in doesn't hurt to just have the diff oil changed and looked at. If you have a good service manager they might change it for free or you pay half if you tell them you suspect something is wrong and want it checked out.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I am not a shill for Amsoil in any way. But when I had issues-mainly noise, going all the way back to a 1992 Blazer, Amsoil cured the problem WITHOUT ever using limited slip additive. I'd probably use what GM recommends for a Camaro. New fluid in diffs AND trans can sometimes cure a lot of ills.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Northeast16SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace16 View Post
Are you turning while doing a burn out? Sometimes one side will unload and you can get one wheel peel. Happens to me once in a while, but never if I'm going straight. My truck does the same
I am usually turning when I notice it. I am also usually turning left so all the weight is on the outside wheel which is the wheel that is breaking loose. I would expect that the inside wheel would be the one spinning. I did some research and someone recommended doing some low speed figure eights in a parking lot which can sometimes free up the clutch plates and then follow it up with a fluid change. He posted B4 and after pics and it fixed the problem.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Northeast16SS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahjay View Post
For all the time and money involved in doesn't hurt to just have the diff oil changed and looked at. If you have a good service manager they might change it for free or you pay half if you tell them you suspect something is wrong and want it checked out.
This seems like a logical place to start and good upkeep at the same time. I'll also try some straight line burnouts and see what kind of patch it leaves behind. Best road test ever!
Old 09-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Northeast16SS

Straight line burnouts produced posi marks if anyone cared.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast16SS View Post
Straight line burnouts produced posi marks if anyone cared.
I guess you fixed it

Perhaps on the turn the outside tire slips because it has more side-load on it.
Though I'm pretty sure both of mine spin as the ass slides around real nice.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
If you have the stock "Nannies" program on with your car you would have traction control trying to counter the spin on the one wheel, with torque management ;with it" Un-tuned" it can take power from the spinning wheel killing some power also,

now with the Button depressed to the required time to take traction control and stabillitrak off you still would have torque management built in to deal with left, ( that requires a tune to erase that evil power robbing bit of programming) and that does not help ....on top of the fact the engines torque down and rock a car back right first so you need good trailing arms and good toes and their bushings to help limit wheel hop especially right side which breaks free easier...........
Old 09-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
mjb_baldy

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss/RS
Mine does the same thing.. Either start spinning before you start making your turn or start after you make the turn.. Other wise you may only spin one wheel as the car is doing what it's supposed to do during a turn. Turn tight doesn't chirp the wheel while turning as its not a posi. I have done it a few times and boy does it make you disappointed in the car.. 500+rwhp one wheel peel.. It's depressing
Old 09-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #12
Northeast16SS

I'm still getting to know this car. I've only put 2,000 miles on it. Much more to learn.

Last edited by Northeast16SS; 09-13-2016 at 09:20 PM. Reason: unfinished
Old 09-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
LSD's in a tight turn will always bind up one wheel and make it hop a little. The harder the turn, the more the effect. The hop will allow it to take off until the nannies have a chance to kick in, usually takes a half second or so.
If you're breaking loose and only spinning one wheel, you've got a problem with your LSD.
Lots of people claim these LSD's are crap, but for the most of us the way we drive, they're more than adequate.
If you want to upgrade, throw in an Eaton Tru Track. all gear driven similar to a Torsen Diff. I have one in my Jeep. Warning though. They can be "clunky" in a manual transmission.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote