Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
GPI Stroker Dyno Graphs Added!

I'll put it all out there....

Been a tough go of it past 6 months. 12/27 had to put my best friend of 15 years to sleep. 4/5 my grandmother passed. 4/8 my ex wife passed after a 5 year battle with cancer. 4/25 my wife tears her achilles and has to have surgery (out of work 2 months).

Thought I was done with the bad lol then 5/25 driving 40mph down Jackson street "something" went wrong. I immediately pull into a car wash and wait for the tow truck.

Man I couldn't believe it...the one thing in life that hasn't let me down and always puts a smile on my face.

Continued......

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody

Last edited by Mydivorcegift; 07-22-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Backstory behind the car.....

Back in September made the drive to GPI. SS4 Cam, ported/milled heads, intake rod mod, circle D converter, and built trans. My decision to go there was based on their proven results at the track and from what I have read standing behind their work.

Little did I know soon we would find out if they do in fact stand behind their work.

I have had a bad lifter/bad cam, a broken spring, and a broker rocker before. The sound and demeanor of the engine that day reminded me of these. So when I got home with the tow truck I pulled the valve covers hoping to see either a broken spring or a broken rocker. Neither....

Continued....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

I'm really bummed. Only 9 months and 6000 miles later I have a broke car. So I called Aaron and told him what happened and what I'd found. He said they need the car so he has agreed to come get it.

It took 2 weeks because of Memorial Day weekend and the following weekend was the AR mile but 6/8 James (service manager at GPI) shows up with his truck and enclosed trailer. James isn't spoke of a lot on here but he is a good, cool guy!

Continued....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

I told Aaron from the start I didn't expect GPI to drop what they were doing so it took about a week for the car to get in rotation. It was torn down and it was shocking what was found....

A broken valve seat I've searched and it looks like I am one of about 3 in the entire LS world to experience this. Valve hits the piston, damage to the block, etc.....

When life gives you a lemon make lemonade.

Continued......

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Aaron said GPI would take care of it. Then he called me a day later.

If I want to cover the rotating assembly GPI would build me a 416. Most would jump right off the bat but things have been difficult around the house. A lot of extra, unforeseen expenses, Monique out of work. I needed to discuss with the other half and look at "budget". Told Aaron I'd get back to him....

Needless to say I got back to him the next day. It really is a no brainer since it is free labor.

So the build will be an N/A 416, VVT build.

Compstar rotating assembly
Re-using old heads after they have been gone through
New GPI stroker cam
Ported intake (already have rod mod)

I'm going to spring for the Johnson lifters and a new oil pump based on Aaron's recommendation of "while we are in there" for some extra piece of mind.

I'll post pics along the way and stay tuned for the results

Much praise and to the GPI crew.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
It sucks to have stuff go wrong, but is awesome to be able to offer assistance in a bad situation.

I hate that you had a problem with the valve seat, but being that it was heads we had ported, thats on us!! Happy to take care of it, and be able to offer some upgrades along the way!

Normally companies would fear seeing a post like this. I don't. I think it is good for people to see that as a shop, even with a great reputation, stuff can happen. This is when you separate the good guys from the bad guys.

There was a machining error on your head and maybe 1-2 more that has been corrected for quite a while.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we sincerely appreciate the opportunity to make the car better than ever.

Ryan S.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
It sucks to have stuff go wrong, but is awesome to be able to offer assistance in a bad situation.

I hate that you had a problem with the valve seat, but being that it was heads we had ported, thats on us!! Happy to take care of it, and be able to offer some upgrades along the way!

Normally companies would fear seeing a post like this. I don't. I think it is good for people to see that as a shop, even with a great reputation, stuff can happen. This is when you separate the good guys from the bad guys.

There was a machining error on your head and maybe 1-2 more that has been corrected for quite a while.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we sincerely appreciate the opportunity to make the car better than ever.

Ryan S.
Amen It was really a main point of me going with GPI. So many times people post bad things when they happen and throw the shop under the bus. It's awesome to able to document this and show the difference between a fly by night shop and a shop that takes pride in their work and stands behind what they do.

I'm excited and looking so forward to the results. I've been without a car for so long it will be like getting a new car when its done

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Carnage and out with the old.....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Great story, OP you deserve the best!! GPI stand by their products! Cant wait to see the results!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Great story, OP you deserve the best!! GPI stand by their products! Cant wait to see the results!
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Me too. Don't really know what to expect as I really haven't seen that many stroker builds on here. I am thinking and hoping maybe 525/500

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Most companies have the "pay to play" response when things like this happen. And to be completely honest when we (the consumer) make the decision to modify our cars weather or not its from a shop or something we take on, you always have the risk of something going wrong that we should fully accept before hand. To see any vendor step up and offer you the service that you now are getting is outstanding in my book! I applaud Ryan and the whole GPI staff for making things right with you and your build!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFASTNOTLAST View Post
Most companies have the "pay to play" response when things like this happen. And to be completely honest when we (the consumer) make the decision to modify our cars weather or not its from a shop or something we take on, you always have the risk of something going wrong that we should fully accept before hand. To see any vendor step up and offer you the service that you now are getting is outstanding in my book! I applaud Ryan and the whole GPI staff for making things right with you and your build!
Couldn't have said it better

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Few other tidbits going in.

Swapping stock injectors for LSA's. And going to clean things up a bit under the hood with red holley valve covers and relocating the heater hose.

Should run nice and look nice

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFASTNOTLAST View Post
+1
Glad something went right for you! Enjoy the power of displacement.

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote