Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
V6 with 20K miles using oil

Hello all!

I have a 2016 V6 with 21,000 miles and I find that I'm using about 1 quart of oil over 5,000 miles. I've never had a new car before so I was curious if this is normal?

I love this car, and drive it hard sometimes because it's fun, but it's not like I'm driving around at redline or anything. Most of my miles are freeway at 75mph in 6th gear (Manual).

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A quart in 5000? That's acceptable, from gm's perspective....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Depending on the oil you use, some oils are more evaporative and volatile than others. Don't believe all oils are created equally.

I've personally never had that much consumption.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Put paper or something clean under your engine and let that sit for as long as you can. If you don't see any drops, check the intake and see if that is all oily.

If you have oil in the intake, you might want to get a catch can. Otherwise, you way need to have it looked at. I doubt a dealer would consider that a warranty problem unless you got drips.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
That's borderline not good, but is normal.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
thewurzernator

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE RAPID BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
That's borderline not good, but is normal.
most manufactures believe that up to a qt per 1000 miles is considered normal use, any more than that is excessive. 5000 miles= less than a 1/4 quart per 1000, normal and acceptable.
thewurzernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
bishopski

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T
One word: Carmax
Old 02-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Have you changed your oil with a different brand motor oil recently?

Increase oil consumption when switching brands is a normal thing but should drop off after a few oil changes.

But otherwise try a different brand motor oil may burn less, you want to look for a low NOAK number.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Start with the basics rather then thinking the worst thing possible.

Do you change your own oil ? If so do you check your levels right away or after the oil settles ?

If you do not change your own oil then it could be just as simple as 1/2 qt less then what should be put in then 1/2 qt going away.

I always change my oil start the car let it run then check the stick this pushes the oil into all the places it needs to go.

If these things are not a variable for you 1 qt low in 5k miles is more then ive had on any car that did not have a leak of some sort.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The LGX engine GM did away with the "Positive" portion of the PCV system in an attempt to slow the rate and severity of the intake valve coking all GDI engines are experiencing, and it in practice has little effect but does sacrifice engine longevity by allowing most of the damaging contaminants to now remain in the crankcase settling into the oil and accelerating wear to the engine. That and if you did not follow the proper break-in (not owners manual or dealer, but direct from GM to the techs):

We designed a proper system for the LGX that corrects this and provides full time evacuation correcting this and removes most all of the contaminates (Raw fuel, water, sulfuric acid, and the abrasive particulate matter all GDI engines shed.

So you may have several issues occurring, the most likely is poor ring seating in that critical first few hundred miles. If so, that period has passed and it is difficult for the rings to seat further. The second is due to the poor design change of the PCV system allows far more oil and other compounds to form deposits between the rings and ring lands allowing excessive blow-by (from allowing crankcase pressure to be present at all times now forcing more blow=by and burned residue into the area between the rings and ringlands. Let us know if you need more details on all of this.

Also, we have a shop in FL that would do your installation for free to help explain this if you choose.

Do it once, do it right, Elite Engineering USA
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
COmaro

Drives: Many
Seriously, a quart every 5000 miles is nothing.

I've had brand new engines that used a quart every 1500.

But this brings up another pet peeve of mine. Change your oil MORE OFTEN than the manufacturer's recommended interval. They aren't recommending a 5-7-10K interval becasue that is what is best for your engine's longevity, they are under pressure to show that their engines are "low maintenance" and "environmentally friendly" by not "needing" frequent oil changes. 10K miles? Sure, if you run your engine on a stand in a clean room its entire life.

By 20,500 on my vehicles I'm on my sixth oil change: 500, 4500, 8500, 12,500, 16,500, 20,500. And that is only if I have not tracked the car, towed with it, or taken a long hot highway trip, then I change even more frequently.

People can yak at me all day about how this is not necessary. Here is my response: 240K, 260K, 295K, 310K. Never a head off of any of them.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
There is not much I can do about the break in process now, but what was posted here is pretty close to what I did. Except there was 40 miles of test drives before me, so who knows if they ran it to redline or anything.

I have always changed my own oil, but I've never owned a car with less than 200K miles. I usually get them for about $100 and drop in a new motor. This is my first new car, and I get lifetime oil changes so I was pretty excited that I don't have to deal with recycling the oil myself.

I can bring it in for a free oil change with 30% left, that's about 4,000 miles or so. I'm also happy to put a half quart in when it's low. My main consern is if this is a serious problem. I'd really love to be able to take this car to 250K and not have to go buy an engine from a junkyard to rebuild.

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Something that might interest ya as well.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 02-27-2017 at 05:30 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
viewska

Drives: Red Hot Vert
I dont have any averages to offer, but I have 4k on the clock and am about 20% up the oil hash marks on my dipstick. I think I'm right there with you on consumption, but I hit high revs every time I drive so I expect to burn some.

I had a v10 that would run down a quart every 1,000 and it neede special oil that you could only get online or at dealership. BTW this was within the advertised specs for this engines consumption so a quarter every 5k sounds good to me HAHA
viewska is offline   Reply With Quote