#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #29
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Simple test.

Take your ZL1. Have someone drive it. Then tell them to go away somewhere. While they are gone, swap the intake. WHen they come back, have them drive it again. Ask them if anything is different and note their response.

A few weeks after that, have that person drive it with the aftermarket intake. When they are done, tell them to go somewhere. Swap back to the stock setup. Have them drive it again. And then note their response.

This is the simplest, most fool proof test that anyone can do. I actually did this with a K&N drop in air filter on someone's car. I didn't tell them what I was doing. I simply had them pop the hood and then I swapped out the filter when they weren't around. When he came back I told him to drive the car. After driving it he asked me what I did because it felt "faster".

So can we please knock it off with the generic statements about how the ECU "adjusts". I don't care how it adjusts or what it adjusts to. Opening the intake will make any engine breathe easier and that WILL be noticeable. Oh, I'm wrong? Ok. Breathe thru a straw. Run 5 miles breathing thru a straw. Oh don't worry, your heart rate and blood pressure will adjust to it. So when you wake up in the middle of the road after running less than a few hundred feet and you see a paramedic standing over you telling you that you passed out then you'll understand. An engine is the same exact way. It literally breathes. Afterall, the vast majority of Human inventions were designed to replicate the Human body. Anyway, an engine breathes. And no darn tuning will compensate for an engine breathing thru a straw or breathing thru a decent open intake system. It is utterly impossible. It cannot be done. Unless the ECU says "hey this thing is faster and we need to make it slower so let's pull timing so it is just as fast as it was before now".

Or if you doubt me, clog your intake and race a similar car for pinks. But make sure you have some comfy shoes when you do that.

Freeing up the intake is a mechanical change. Tunes are not. So a tune cannot adjust for making an engine breathe better. At most, it is simply adjusting the AFR or whatever within specific parameters. But the engine is still going to breathe better. Hands down. And an engine that breathes better WILL outperform one that does not breathe as good. Even if there is no tune.

If it doesn't, then riddle me this...why are our cars faster in colder air? Oh, you mean the tune doesn't adjust and magically slow it down?? (GASP)!! Is that physics? Yes. Because in colder air, effectively, our cars are basically breathing better. The tune might adjust so the ratios or whatever stay within spec. But that is it. Your engine breathes better, it performs better. The end.

An awesome story by Blaqwhole.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #30
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Simple test.

Take your ZL1. Have someone drive it.

You lost me here...
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #31
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Anyway, that is an awesome intake. And it is good to see other options. I mean, there's enough of us with Roto-Fab, lol!!

I am not sure how well a 5 incher would work considering even the Big Gulp can have some fitment issues. I'd like to see a 5 incher and how it would work with the hoses and the pulleys etc. I do not think any of us would actually ever even need a 5" since the BG and other like-sized intakes are capable of taking us to the limits of pump gas and well into quad RWHP numbers. But again, breathing better is the goal. So perhaps there would be some advantage.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #32
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Simple test.

Take your ZL1. Have someone drive it. Then tell them to go away somewhere. While they are gone, swap the intake. WHen they come back, have them drive it again. Ask them if anything is different and note their response.

A few weeks after that, have that person drive it with the aftermarket intake. When they are done, tell them to go somewhere. Swap back to the stock setup. Have them drive it again. And then note their response.

This is the simplest, most fool proof test that anyone can do. I actually did this with a K&N drop in air filter on someone's car. I didn't tell them what I was doing. I simply had them pop the hood and then I swapped out the filter when they weren't around. When he came back I told him to drive the car. After driving it he asked me what I did because it felt "faster".

So can we please knock it off with the generic statements about how the ECU "adjusts". I don't care how it adjusts or what it adjusts to. Opening the intake will make any engine breathe easier and that WILL be noticeable. Oh, I'm wrong? Ok. Breathe thru a straw. Run 5 miles breathing thru a straw. Oh don't worry, your heart rate and blood pressure will adjust to it. So when you wake up in the middle of the road after running less than a few hundred feet and you see a paramedic standing over you telling you that you passed out then you'll understand. An engine is the same exact way. It literally breathes. Afterall, the vast majority of Human inventions were designed to replicate the Human body. Anyway, an engine breathes. And no darn tuning will compensate for an engine breathing thru a straw or breathing thru a decent open intake system. It is utterly impossible. It cannot be done. Unless the ECU says "hey this thing is faster and we need to make it slower so let's pull timing so it is just as fast as it was before now".

Or if you doubt me, clog your intake and race a similar car for pinks. But make sure you have some comfy shoes when you do that.

Freeing up the intake is a mechanical change. Tunes are not. So a tune cannot adjust for making an engine breathe better. At most, it is simply adjusting the AFR or whatever within specific parameters. But the engine is still going to breathe better. Hands down. And an engine that breathes better WILL outperform one that does not breathe as good. Even if there is no tune.

If it doesn't, then riddle me this...why are our cars faster in colder air? Oh, you mean the tune doesn't adjust and magically slow it down?? (GASP)!! Is that physics? Yes. Because in colder air, effectively, our cars are basically breathing better. The tune might adjust so the ratios or whatever stay within spec. But that is it. Your engine breathes better, it performs better. The end.

An awesome story by Blaqwhole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
You lost me here...
Old 12-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #33
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Anyway, that is an awesome intake. And it is good to see other options. I mean, there's enough of us with Roto-Fab, lol!!

I am not sure how well a 5 incher would work considering even the Big Gulp can have some fitment issues. I'd like to see a 5 incher and how it would work with the hoses and the pulleys etc. I do not think any of us would actually ever even need a 5" since the BG and other like-sized intakes are capable of taking us to the limits of pump gas and well into quad RWHP numbers. But again, breathing better is the goal. So perhaps there would be some advantage.
thanks, they did try several designs that were bigger and different designs with the stock throttle body, but really created airflow issues with the MAF and made it loose power. to go bigger than this you have to change the throttle body
Old 12-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #34
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
You lost me here...
That was the Ole Smoky Peanutbutter Whiskey talking.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:47 PM   #35
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
That was the Ole Smoky Peanutbutter Whiskey talking.
lol, I have a hard time giving up the keys to my SS. I can't imagine how protective I'm going to be with the ZL1.

Of course, I have reason for it. When I had an 06 GTO, I had to drop it off to get a door touched up because some dope swung their door into mine. The body shop (a certified Chevrolet shop) put 80 hard miles on it. The reason I knew that they were hard miles is the average MPG would consistently show 17 MPG. When I got the vehicle back, the MPG was showing 12. Their excuse was that they had Corvettes at their dealership so they didn't care about my GTO.

I obviously thought it was BS because it doesn't matter if you service Ferraris, if a different type of performance car is brought in, people tend to get curious, and the trashiest among us will take other peoples' property and pound on it.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:51 AM   #36
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Following
Old 12-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #37
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Its a nice looking piece but you really have to have it in your head to grasp the gains, you really need a dyno run to show because youre basically not going to feel those numbers in the seat besides any placebo effect that takes place. Its much more about looks (1), and sound (2)...gains are pretty negligible in the grans scheme of things.

My real beef with these things is that they're actually worth about a 1/4 of the MSRP. Id reach deep just to free up some S/C whine but that's the only way I'd consider a CAI
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #38
ZL1plumbin

Drives: ZL1 1LE on order
Quote:
You lost me here...
ZL1plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #39
ZL1plumbin

Drives: ZL1 1LE on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Its a nice looking piece but you really have to have it in your head to grasp the gains, you really need a dyno run to show because youre basically not going to feel those numbers in the seat besides any placebo effect that takes place. Its much more about looks (1), and sound (2)...gains are pretty negligible in the grans scheme of things.

My real beef with these things is that they're actually worth about a 1/4 of the MSRP. Id reach deep just to free up some S/C whine but that's the only way I'd consider a CAI
After hearing those hellcat redeyes SC whine ….. man that’s so addicting.
The only reason I would put one on the ZL1 would be to hear that SC more.
ZL1plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #40
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1plumbin View Post
After hearing those hellcat redeyes SC whine ….. man that’s so addicting.
The only reason I would put one on the ZL1 would be to hear that SC more.
The LT4 blower whine will never be the same as the Hellcat though. That being said, coming from a Hellcat to the ZL1, I missed the whine for a little while but it doesn't bother me at all anymore.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #41
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
well, the car was dyno'd for over an hour, the car does relearn and immediate starts pulling and adding timing almost immediate.

not only do they try different styles, some which actually lost 50hp, they also test other manufactures intakes on my car at the same time.

They can't be dyno'd with the hood down because you can't create enough airflow to keep the car cool like it would be on the road, so it actually would be getting MORE air on the road with the hood down not less. The car is designed to flow air through the car and to the intake area. The intakes actually produce more power on the road due to the volume of air flowing to and through the car.
So with that being said ^^ how did this intake still gain 20HP and 30TQ with a stock tune that reverts and starts adding timing etc?
Old 12-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #42
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
...how did this intake still gain 20HP and 30TQ...
I'll tell you how.

It doesn't.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote