Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
does the Magnuson come with best tune as option?

Also we know these new superchargers are designed for longer runners, what is the runner length vs EForce?
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Can't speak for the Magnuson, but the E-Force tune surprised both myself and the local tuner when I did a dyno run. As per the tuner, the AFR's were spot on for the LT1 (being a DI) and a PD system. the knock sensors were just on the ragged edge of cutting in, and timing was about where he puts his tune. (He's done several LT1 corvettes with prochargers lately.) He think's he could pull a few more ponys out, but not much without adders to the system. (And a much cooler day!)

My opinion is you shouldn't see a dime's worth of difference between the two systems. Can't be much difference, given the TVS2300 guts are the same as well as the head configuration, supercharger configuration and spacing are nearly the same. If I had to guess. the runners might be longer in the Magnuson simply because the Mag looks taller. So, yea, the difference might be in the tune, but I don't see Magnuson putting out a bad software product. But really, there can't be a huge differences. Either one is a great choice.

The more I drive my E-Force the more I'm beginning to really appreciate this FI system. For a daily driver, it's a big step up from the turbo system I have on the Audi. No more, ah, here comes the power; it's just there! With the E-Force, I think my 2SS is now right in that sweet spot of having the right balance of power, handling, comfort, usability and style. 450 ft.-lbs. of torque at 2500 is taking some getting use to though; my right foot needs re-training.

Last edited by Atomic Ed; 06-15-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
sweet write up. I got a reply from Mag, they do include a tuner.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Atomic Ed

A side-by-side physical comparison would be entertaining. But performance comparisons are always fraught with so many variables.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Can't speak for the Magnuson, but the E-Force tune surprised both myself and the local tuner when I did a dyno run. As per the tuner, the AFR's were spot on for the LT1 (being a DI) and a PD system. the knock sensors were just on the ragged edge of cutting in, and timing was about where he puts his tune. (He's done several LT1 corvettes with prochargers lately.) He think's he could pull a few more ponys out, but not much without adders to the system. (And a much cooler day!)

My opinion is you shouldn't see a dime's worth of difference between the two systems. Can't be much difference, given the TVS2300 guts are the same as well as the head configuration, supercharger configuration and spacing are nearly the same. If I had to guess. the runners might be longer in the Magnuson simply because the Mag looks taller. So, yea, the difference might be in the tune, but I don't see Magnuson putting out a bad software product. But really, there can't be a huge differences. Either one is a great choice.

The more I drive my E-Force the more I'm beginning to really appreciate this FI system. For a daily driver, it's a big step up from the turbo system I have on the Audi. No more, ah, here comes the power; it's just there! With the E-Force, I think my 2SS is now right in that sweet spot of having the right balance of power, handling, comfort, usability and style. 450 ft.-lbs. of torque at 2500 is taking some getting use to though; my right foot needs re-training.

Man that E-Force sounds great. I have the auto 2SS, and my E-Force came in yesterday. Was delivered to my installer. Scheduled to be installed Tuesday. Can't wait!!!!!
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
The maggie has a slightly taller lid, better rotor porting, bigger intercoolers, and with the inlet adapter arrangement, it is capable of accepting up to a 108mm throttle body. Other than that they are the same rotating group and have the same powertrain warranty. The Maggie is now CARB approved.
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
Man that E-Force sounds great. I have the auto 2SS, and my E-Force came in yesterday. Was delivered to my installer. Scheduled to be installed Tuesday. Can't wait!!!!!
You are going to love it!! I am curious what the difference is in the kits, if any. I suspect it's just the tune.

Do post a dyno run when you get it done.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
The maggie has a slightly taller lid, better rotor porting, bigger intercoolers, and with the inlet adapter arrangement, it is capable of accepting up to a 108mm throttle body. Other than that they are the same rotating group and have the same powertrain warranty. The Maggie is now CARB approved.
A tip of the hat to the Maggi then.

I am wondering, due to the design of the Maggi/E-Force, if the concept of runner length is even valid. Wouldn't the total post-compressed volume be more important/equivalent?

The bigger intercoolers caught my eye. I'm already noodling on ideas on increasing overall cooling efficiency. 160* thermostat is an easy try. Maybe a double row A/W radiator, Evan's cooling, or bigger intercoolers, maybe. IAT's shot up pretty fast on the dyno, but is was a hot day.

I fight heat in this area more than cold
Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 AM   #9
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
"does the Magnuson come with best tune as option?"

and not a single comment about a magnuson tune - hilarious. If forums were ever on topic, 90% of posts wouldn't exist.

Since we really arent discussing magnuson at all, which sucks, hopefully you all have a better experience than I did with Edelbrock. Tons of heat and an occasional loss of power. Definitely couldnt handle the summer heat of AZ - ended up selling the car to avoid years of issues.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
"does the Magnuson come with best tune as option?"

and not a single comment about a magnuson tune - hilarious. If forums were ever on topic, 90% of posts wouldn't exist.

Since we really arent discussing magnuson at all, which sucks, hopefully you all have a better experience than I did with Edelbrock. Tons of heat and an occasional loss of power. Definitely couldnt handle the summer heat of AZ - ended up selling the car to avoid years of issues.
What the.....?? You sold your car because you didn't want to deal with the IAT/timing pull issue? No reaching out to others here? And you drag up an old topic to make this announcement?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 AM   #11
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
What the.....?? You sold your car because you didn't want to deal with the IAT/timing pull issue? No reaching out to others here? And you drag up an old topic to make this announcement?
An "old" 3 month topic that hits first on a google search for the very subject Im looking for.

All I want to know is if the stock tune with the magnuson SC system is good and is there anyone in these forums that uses it. Tuning outside of magnuson supplied tune voids their 3 year/36 month PT warantee (I actually read the fine print), hence why I want what comes with the S/C - unless others chime in with negativity towards it.

Thats 1 on-topic comment..and probably the last <sigh>
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #12
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
even better than that, he over paid on the install in the first place, it suffered some kind of failure (I'm guessing Oil Pump Gear as it was a Mustang), he got it fixed THEN sold it at auction for cents on the dollar

check out his post history, its pretty funny stuff

he now pops up in every thread telling people mods are a waste of money and then starts asking loads of questions about a magnusson install
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
The basic Magnuson Tune for the 2016 Camaro is good and functional. Their basic tunes are extremely conservative and are as good as just about any "kit" tunes, I have seen/dynoed.

I believe that you will find the E-Force Kit making more power out of the box, but I believe this is due mainly to additional boost.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #14
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
More boost doesn't automatically equal more power, it's a balance of timing/boost for a specific octane/IAT which produces the most power. 8-9 PSI on pump gas might have been OK for an LS, but it is a bit much for an LT1 running pump gas.
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote