Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #99
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
That is indeed where the wear tab would be.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #100
Hooves

Drives: 2016 1SS Mosaic Black MRC NPP A8
Has anyone ran Carbotech XP10 up front and a high performance street pad in the back just for the track? I put EBC Yellowstuff pads on the front and rear, but I need more for one of the tracks I run.

I'm going to try running XP10 up front and leaving the Yellowstuff on the rear. My understanding is that running those different compounds may cause some hiccups with the ABS, but I don't think it should be detrimental.

What say the experts? Also, I'll report back when I've run a day or two with that combo.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #101
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Has anyone ran Carbotech XP10 up front and a high performance street pad in the back just for the track? I put EBC Yellowstuff pads on the front and rear, but I need more for one of the tracks I run.

I'm going to try running XP10 up front and leaving the Yellowstuff on the rear. My understanding is that running those different compounds may cause some hiccups with the ABS, but I don't think it should be detrimental.

What say the experts? Also, I'll report back when I've run a day or two with that combo.
XP 10 will diffinatelly do a better job on the track ( and on the street in the spring/summer as long as you are ok with squeal ). Using a 'weaker' pad in the rear is a common thing ( I run xp8), however if the difference is too big the tail might kick out when you brake.

PS- I'm switching to XP12 front , since the 10 started fading on me.
I talked to Carbotech and they said it should work with 8 in the back. I will try it on back roads first.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #102
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post

I think XP10 front and Yellowstuff rear would be fine. I used to run PFC99 front / Yellowstuff rear on C6 with slicks and it worked fine.

If I were you, I would use up the yellowstuff, and move over to XP8 for rear.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #103
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Is there any reason you guys have moved away from the factory rear pads? I only ask because they seem fairly decent and there isn't much braking needed from the rear. Plus the rear rotors are vented really nicely. When I ran Grattan with Hawk HP+ up front and factory pads in the rear the car seemed to do great. I felt no weird imbalance or anything. I have no other setup to compare this to other than stock front and rear pads - so, just a question...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #104
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Chances are, your car's rear pads are smaller than its front pads, meaning that they'll run a little warmer than a simple comparison of braking effort distributions would indicate. Plus there isn't as much cooling available for them and the air that is available is somewhat warmer than the air available to the front brakes.

I'm guessing a little when I suggest that plots of friction coefficient vs temperature differ, perhaps considerably. This means that front vs rear brake balance would vary as they heated up. While ABS would tend to keep things from getting out of hand, you could end up overworking the front brakes if the rears were no longer pulling their share.

I've run HP+/HPS, XP10/XP8, and XP12/XP10 combinations, but never a true track pad up front with a pad with mfr claims of acceptability in (limited) street duty.

Norm