Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 05-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #15
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
and that's why i do my own oil changes.
This x 1000. Buy some good service ramps and do it yourself. It takes 15 minutes and you can be sure it was done correctly. I have heard far too many stories like this over the years to feel comfortable trusting these services to someone else.

However, I do know that some people can't do it themselves because they don't have a place to work on their cars. (like those of you living in apartments or condos without a garage to work in) If that is the case please make sure to check the oil level before you drive off or better yet insist that you be allowed to watch them perform the service. (sometimes they will substitute different cheaper oil than the one you paid for if you aren't watching)

I would be super pissed if this happened to me though OP, I think I would probably change the oil again relatively soon after watching everything like a hawk and be sure to send an oil sample off for analysis to a place like this http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ to make sure there is no additional wear or damage. I don't think you necessarily will have problems as others have said here already but its better to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #16
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
and that's why i do my own oil changes.
I probably would on mine as well if I wasn't friends with the oil change supervisor at my dealership's service department. He just got the promotion and has looked out for my car the last two times it was in for maintenance.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:21 AM   #17
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
the oil change supervisor at my dealership's service department. He just got the promotion
LMFAO
Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #18
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
It will be fine, Don't worry about it, I also would be upset, But, It has 47.5K left on the warrantee, You will be all set, Relax and ENJOY!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #19
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Not a Camaro, but the dealer pinched the o-ring on our TDI Jetta and it puked half of its oil out a few hundred miles after the change, most of it all over my garage floor. Car was probably 2.5-3qts out of 6 low, but it never popped an oil light or anything. Dealer towed it back and fixed it. 10K miles later and no issues.

If the car never saw low oil pressure it never knew it was low so you're probably fine.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #20
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drags1998 View Post
It will be fine, Don't worry about it, I also would be upset, But, It has 47.5K left on the warrantee, You will be all set, Relax and ENJOY!!!!!
I never get the "It's under warranty, don't worry about it" attitude.

This kind of thing is unacceptable. Period.

In this situation since there's no immediate damage, you never know what might show up later. I'd have taken pictures/video of the dry dip stick and made the service manager sign an acknowledgement agreement stating he/the dealer understands they failed to follow the mfg manual for the oil change.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #21
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Agreed Fastball, NOT acceptable,PERIOD!!!! But no one can Change that now.Plus, It WILL be fine.
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver16ss View Post
I call Bluff on this whole thread. Just not adding up. Lol!!
I'd call BS on any story that sounds like a successful dealership visit before doubting this one.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #23
Swamplife

Drives: 75 Montey
It's bests to change your own oil. Some lazy azz dealer techs will only change the oil and not the filter. But if you do use the dealers offer to change your oil. CHECK IT BEFORE YOU LEAVE!!

Past: 68 Camaro SS 396ci
67 Nova SS 327ci
66 Impala SS 427ci
99 Camaro SS 622ci w Big Dukes by Sonnys
76 Z/28 w 68 MO code 302 Z/28 Motor
Swamplife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #24
AdvanSuper

Drives: 1SS HBM w/MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
It should be fine, she's under warranty.
That's a shitty outlook. I wouldn't want them doing warranty work if they can't do a simple oil change. Besides that is damages from improper service, not a failure of the car on its own.
AdvanSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #25
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
I'd call BS on any story that sounds like a successful dealership visit before doubting this one.
U have a good point
Old 05-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #26
2silverbee

Drives: 2016 2SS, BLACK/BLACK
HEY BIG MIKE,

SHIT, WHEN I HAD MY 2010 CAMARO, I BROUGHT IT TO THE DEALER FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND THE BOZO FORGOT TO PUT THE GASKET IN THE FILTER, SO HERE I AM DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AND I SEE SMOKE COMING OUT MY TAILPIPES! BEING ONE OF THE SMARTER WOMAN IN THE WORLD I PULLED OVER AND CALLED THE DEALERSHIP, SAID WTF , THEY SENT THE SAME BOZO OUT WITH 6 QUARTS OF OIL BUT NO GASKET AGAIN!! ULTIMATELY I MADE THE DEALER WARRANTY THE MOTOR FOR 2 MORE YEARS, IT HAD 100,000 AT THE TIME. BUT LUCKILY NO PROBLEM WITH THE MOTOR, AND MY LIGHT NEVER CAME ON. ITS SAD THAT NOBODY CAN DO THEIR JOB CORRECTLY ANYMORE
2silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
2silverbee

Drives: 2016 2SS, BLACK/BLACK
P.S

THAT KID NO LONGER WORKS FOR THE DEALERSHIP, HE GOT FIRED!!
2silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #28
ImperialSScamaro
Im a noob

Drives: Black 2016 1SS
with my 2012 when i lived in Jacksonville Florida they only put 6 quarts of oil in my 1SS M6, if i hadn't checked it before i left there very well could have been possible issues. Trust me i let the manager know how dumb it is to add any kind of fluids with out checking the gauges, dip sticks ect..

2 weeks ago i went to a place here in LA to get my oil changed cause they did such excellent service fixing a tire that i got a nail in. i took them my owners manual of my 2016 SS M6 and pointed out the 10 quart requirement. To there shocked faces they said they actually added 11.
i was thinking the extra was from the filter but sure enough it was spot on full.

CHEVY DEALERSHIPS ARE NOT ALWAYS SPOT ON!
ImperialSScamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro oil change gone bad