Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #15
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
All the cops around here with that new fancy laser radar keep me from driving like a jackass.

Even with a radar detector once that laser sets it off, it's too late you're busted.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #16
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Track day novice groups are generally safe. All novice group drivers have instructors in the car, and most are generally very cautious. First time out will definitely be some nerves, but it's not long and you start getting relaxed and comfortable. Definitely the way to go if you want to start exploring the limits of the car, legally, and safely.

For me, the track satisfies the need for speed. Enough so that I never really have the urge to drive like a jack*ss on public roads. That said, there's a time and a place for everything.
SCCA? Or are there other options?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #17
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
SCCA? Or are there other options?
I personally go with this club in CT, and there are similar clubs elsewhere. Check with the track closest to you, and ask which clubs sponsor events.

http://www.scda1.com/
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
I see you're in NorCal. My personal favorite track in NorCal is Thunderhill Raceway in Willows. On their website (and many track websites) you can check their events calendar to find the right track day provider for you. Just make sure before you go that your insurance will cover you in a crash (some don't cover anything off a public road, others say as long as it's not an actual race or competition, you're covered). Just don't make the mistake I did and total your car on the track only to find you have no insurance to cover you.

The risks on the track are far lower than driving hard on the street. You can often blow a corner or spin out and not hit anyone/anything or go flying off a cliff when you're on a well designed track instead of your local roads. And because it's a controlled environment, there's no need to worry about the usual road hazards like oncoming cars, cyclists, hikers, rocks in the middle of the road, etc. Your first day at the track will also make you a much better driver on the street because you will be much more aware of just how your car behaves in situations where you are running hard. When I started going to the track 10 years ago in college, I noticed I started driving/riding much slower on public roads, because I get my need for speed handled at the track, and I had a better appreciation of the time it takes to slow from high speeds quickly, or how your car feels through turns at 100mph. My experience on the track (expert) also saved my life in a near death motorcycle accident because I was able to react and brake so hard and so fast when someone turned their car left in front of me when heading in my direction and I did a stoppie into the side of his car and my body missed the car all together, soaring past it at 30mph and somehow hitting the ground where I only broke 4 lumbar vertebrae. But had I not had that track experience, my body would have smashed into the side of his car and I'd probably be dead....

Long story short, track days may be intimidating at first, and they can get expensive for sure between track fees, tires, brakes, fuel, etc....but there is no better substitute for becoming an expert driver than putting in a lot of time at the track.
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote