Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #15
camarocid

Drives: Chevy Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Unless you're really truly in love with the 5thgen's styling I wouldn't take it over the 6thgen performance and features wise.
That's the thing. I do prefer the body style of the 2015, hands down. And $10,000 isn't a little bit of money. The way people talk though about the 5 gen is like it's a crappy car and I just don't get it
camarocid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
As said, don't bother with a 5th gen (no offense). The 6th gen is definitely worth the money. I have a 1SS and don't miss any of the 2SS options other than the HUD, which I can live without. The cloth seats are VERY comfortable.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #17
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocid View Post
You say that, but I see 2SS for $36k right now. Camaro is having the worst year in sales
Then buy it.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #18
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Currently trying to get a camaro. My price limit is about $35k, which puts me into 2SS range if they do a red tag event this year. With sales being in the gutter, that is very likely.

I need some input/help on a couple options I know the folks here are gonna be super knowledgeable.

1SS: I like leather, but I could live with cloth depending on quality. How is the quality? Is it a cloth fabric, or more of a smooth suede?

2SS: I see this car has 9 Bose speakers... I'd probably want to upgrade down the road. Is that possible? I know Bose can sometimes be a PITA to upgrade. How does the system compare to the 1SS?

2015: so I wouldn't normally consider given the upgrades done with the 2016+ models, but if I trade my vehicle in for this I would basically get a paycheck to go buy an intake, exhaust, and maybe something else. How nice are these comparatively? Is it really a $8,000 upgrade? I linked the used one I found

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=165778090

Any help or input would be appreciated!
The 6thgen SS is as fast as my '13 ZL1 as delivered stock....your potential upgrades will not get you there for the money...but buy what YOU want and stop with the back and forth
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #19
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Drive them both.

I think the choice will be clear after that.

I had a 5th gen before my 6. Night and day.

You will have to go internal work or a supercharger to beat a stock 6g SS btw. Handling is just as far apart. The feel and fun to drive meter is a lot higher too.

BTW I got my car for 30,600 new and its a 1ss. Its very nice for a base car. You can also replace some of the plastic parts with leather which adds a nice touch. Interior lighting can be added if you want it. All in all with the features and digital dash it does not feel like a base car.
The price I paid for my 16 new was the same price I paid for my 2010 new lol. I got almost 25% off.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:09 PM   #20
Dennis Northwest

Drives: 16 1SS A8 NPP
If you're strictly a performance guy the 1SS gets the job done and saves you about $5 grand. If luxury is important than the 2SS is better. The direct injection on the sixth gen and the stiffer chassis makes it a no brainer on passing on the 5th gen. I have a 1SS and wish I had the better stereo and side detection monitors but wouldn't pay the extra money to have them.
Dennis Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #21
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Wow, a 1SS for $30k! I musta been robbed. I bought my 1SS with MRC and npp for $38k out the door(tax, title, everything). Where did you buy it if I may ask because that is the best deal I've seen, and I thought I did a lot of research.

And I have cloth seats OP and they are very comfortable!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 AM   #22
Max RS

Drives: 2016 SS AT
The 2015 SS is a nice car but as recommended above, drive both. When I was looking to buy a SS moving up from my 2013 V6 Convertible, my dealership had a 2015 SS with 5000 miles at a killer price so I took it out for a test drive. It felt no quicker than my tuned LFX V6. I was disappointed as it looked great but did nothing for me on the test drive. I waited and when the 2016 20% discount was offered, I test drove a 2016 2SS and the rest is history. Once you drive a Gen 6 SS, there is no going back, the LT1 is that good. Test drive both. Price is always a concern depending upon your budget but make sure you will be satisfied with your purchase. Gen 5 and Gen 6, both great cars but in my humble opinion, Gen 6 is far superior.
2016 2SS AT
Max RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The 5th gen was out of the question for me when I bought my 2016 2SS new last year. It's a completely different car in both interior looks, engine, powertrain, technology, chassis, ect.

The 2SS is more than just the leather, there's tons of other great things you get (there's a list on Chevy's website). If my budget was $35k I'd be getting into a used 2016 with under 10k miles, but that's just me. Huge saving, car is broken in, any warranty/recalls already fixed, practically brand new still. I would have done this last year if I could have found a used 2016 but they were too new and I wanted a 6th gen so I had no other choice but to buy brand new. I kind of wish I waited 6 month because it's a huge loss when you buy new.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #24
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Sounds like you have talked yourself into the 2105 based on all your comments. if after driving the Gen6 you still feel that way, you have validated your decision and can feel pretty good about it all.

I was not into the Gen5 version at all personally. Never would have considered a Camaro at all until they put the Alpha platform under it & the LT1. Then it was high on the list & I drove the competition. Night & day has been mentioned several times in this thread. I agree totally.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #25
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
That's the thing. I do prefer the body style of the 2015, hands down. And $10,000 isn't a little bit of money. The way people talk though about the 5 gen is like it's a crappy car and I just don't get it
I don't think others are saying Gen 5 is a crappy car - You asked for their opinion so they are providing the comparison between gen 5 and gen 6.
It's more like Gen 5 is a good car, Gen 6 is a better car.

It almost sounds like you like Gen5, and you want to hear others agreeing with you that Gen 5 is a great buy. Well, if you can get it at great price, they are great cars, but as everyone says, it won't be comparable to Gen6, in terms of performance.

Drive gen 6 first, then gen 5. If you are fine with performance of gen 5 comparing to gen 6, go for it, especially since you like the style of gen 5 better, and you would save a lot.

It's your car. You should buy and drive what you like, not someone else.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #26
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
If you go with the 2015, then you should be able to get a better price. Not many people want the old body style and the price should be a significant amount lower. $24k would be a reasonable price for that car you linked IMO

In 2013 I got my 2011 with 7k miles on it for $23,500. It was a 2SS, and that was still the current body style
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #27
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
2015: so I wouldn't normally consider given the upgrades done with the 2016+ models, but if I trade my vehicle in for this I would basically get a paycheck to go buy an intake, exhaust, and maybe something else. How nice are these comparatively? Is it really a $8,000 upgrade?
Your saved money invested in performance parts will not get you to 2016 levels, and you would still have a 2015 chassis. Arguably the greatest improvements have been made in the chassis.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #28
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I don't think anyone is saying the 5th gen is crappy at all, it is just that the 6th gen is a vast improvement, it's build on a compelled different platform (Alpha like the ATS) and uses the new Vette's engine so it's significantly fast and much better in handling/performance. That's not really an opinion, it's been proven on the track so I'd say it's fact.

The 5th gen is a great car, I think if we were talking last year you'd save about $10k over a new 2016 which you couldn't really save much on a used on (if you could even find a used '16 in the early spring/summer of 2016). That savings may be worth it if you preferred the look of the 5th gen. Now that you can get a used 2016, and save a lot, it changes things quite a bit.

A lot of car shows compared the Mustang GT to the 5th Gen Camaro SS in head to head matches, today with the 6th gen they don't even bother because it's more in the M3 and M4 category, that's what they have been testing against since it's been improved on so much. And those cars are in the $70-80k territory.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote