Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 AM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
In today's information age, it really is pretty much "no haggle" across the board. With the ability for the potential customer to literally browse the lots of an unlimited amount of dealers without putting on their pants, dealers have to all but put their best price out there from the get go.

For this reason MSRP's are priced out closer to margin than the old days. Dealer's won't typically discount too much unless there is a factory incentive involved, the mark-up just isn't there to play with. Now, there are a couple of different incentives, there are customer incentives, the one's that are advertised, cash back, red tags, etc. Then there are factory to dealer incentives, these are the ones the customer may not know about. So the dealer holds these in their pocket, until they need them to get you to sign. The dealer still gets their money, and the customer still thinks they "won". Same game, just different game plan.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
RobertSmith

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenSeven View Post
When buying my Camaro, I had an odd experience with the end-of-the-month theory.

On April 30th (last day of the month), late in the afternoon, I went to a dealership that had the car I wanted sitting on the lot. After the usual chit-chat BS with the sales staff, I told them I'd pay $48K OTD (Out The Door) for the car. It turns out there was no way they were budging off the $48,450 MSRP. Not A Chance. Zip. Zero. Nada.

I left the dealership expecting my phone to ring at any moment saying they had reconsidered. Nope.

After I got home, I hit the 'net and found a Camaro at another dealer that was identical except that it was Garnet Red (the first one I tried to buy was Hyper Blue), a $395 option at the time, and it's MSRP was $48,845.

Hmmm... it never hurts to ask... Sooo...

The next day (Uh-oh... May 1st! The beginning of the month!), I contacted the second dealer about the car and made my offer of $48K, never expecting them to accept it after what had happened the night before.

A couple of hours later after a few phone calls back and forth, they told me the best they could do was $48.3K OTD.

The extra $300 would be splitting hairs at this point, so... We have a deal, SOLD!

Three days later (the car was still riding the train when we made the deal) I was at the dealer to pick up the car. I was fully expecting "unforeseen events" or other shenanigans to arise that would change the price.

Nope, the deal was done. Did the ridiculous amount of paperwork needed to buy a car and drove it home.

I was genuinely surprised... on the 1st of the month they sell a car below MSRP?

It still amazes me how different dealers from the same company can have completely different philosophies regarding the sales process.
I think the key there is no time spent on the lot means their money can go elsewhere. They can make a lot of money on Camaros but it is also likely they might have to wait quite a while to get it.
RobertSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #17
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
When dealers say no haggle, they're banking on getting customers that frankly don't haggle.

Makes it easier for them to sell cars at higher prices.

But they will still haggle if you make an offer and you're serious. Get up to leave if they don't come close and watch what happens.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #18
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I've heard a similar pitch before on internet pricing. They told me that they lower the price within $500 of what their bottom line is to attract customers and compete with other dealer's internet pricing so when you come in there's not really any room to negotiate. Internet pricing was about $3-4k off MSRP on a $35-40k car so it seemed to make sense, I still knocked off another $1500-2000 from that price so I wouldn't trust them when they say that, just go somewhere else even if it's an hour or more away, find a huge dealer with a large inventory, you usually get a better deal on a car in the lot because they want to sell inventory first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkertill03/10/2016 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been shopping around and as of late I've noticed several dealers plop down their brochure that's states something along the lines of "our systems will always price the cars competitively within the region so there is no haggle or hassle"

They don't even give you a chance to talk discounts or pricing saying their system does it all for them. One of these days I'm gonna lose my sh*t and ask them why they are even employed if a system does it all for them....

Anyways, while I still somewhat have my cool, have any of you experienced this as well? How do you get past this? Three of the four dealers I went to have been stubborn as a bull and won't even consider talking any further discounts or deals beyond their GM discounts
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #19
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
No Haggle= Bend over and take it up the arse

Supply and Demand. Right now, there are 30,000 Camaros in dealer inventory and customers have the upper hand in determining price if they know what they are doing. You can shop numerous dealers on the internet until you find one that will deal. This is like the ugly guy at the dance. Keep asking girls to dance until one of them finally says yes.

EOM, EOY, Red Tag, dealer that is sitting on inventory and you can score a deal.

If you special order or buy a high demand car, dealers have little reason to discount it. Ford dealers were charging 10k over sticker for the RS.

There are quotas that dealers have to meet. And don't forget dealer holdback. The dealer can sell you a car for less than invoice and still make money.

GM will have to move some cars soon:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...z&ocid=BHEA000

Last edited by wavsine; 03-14-2017 at 10:33 AM.
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
sstoronto

Drives: 2017 2SS.
There are nuances between the US and Canadian buying experience......
The CDN dealer network is naturally smaller, thus a not a lot of internet pricing, etc.
With the crappy low CDN dollar, the margins are a lot lower (just try converting the US price to CDN...then compare it to the actual CDN price).
Most Canadian dealers tend to still prefer the "dog-n-pony, show up and let's work out a deal" way of working.

Also, I find that Canadian dealers tend to focus on the price before freight and taxes. It's hard to negotiate an "all in" price, as they'll always separate the price from the "supposedly" fixed fees.....

All the advice given is great, but the OP may not be able to apply it via a Canadian dealer.

OP, you may want to also consider posting this in the "CANADA" section as well.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #21
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
If I can't get the price on the car down, I'll either try to get a better deal on my trade-in (if I am trading in), and/or ask for extras with the car. Small things that add up. Cargo net, full tank of premium gas, car mats (although I'm not sure that's an "extra" these days), vouchers for free oil changes, that sort of thing.

The other thing which can work is saying you're interested in a car at another dealer. "Look, I've found this other deal at this other place - if we can't move on your deal quickly then I'll be working a deal with them instead". Even better if you can show evidence - "this car over here comes with this - can you throw that in for me as well?".

Working deals takes time though, so at the end of the day how valuable is the time you've spent on getting a few hundred extra dollars off. If you could have made twice that amount in the time you spent, it probably wasn't worth the trouble. If the car feels like the right car for you, you'll be happy whether you worked them down or not.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #22
Lemosine

Drives: 2016 M6 Hyper Blue 2SS
In my experience, go online find some great deals around you. Get some print outs, keep them hidden while you are at the dealer. When your inside getting serious, pull out what you have and ask them, "can you beat this?" If they dont budge, get up shake their hand and say, "ok ill go buy a camaro from these guys then". I got my 2016 2SS 3k under invoice Has NPP & MRC. Honestly if you have like 10K to put as a downpayment, they will get serious fast. I was price dealing for about 5 hours, it was manager after manager then got to the owner.
Lemosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
No Haggle=Bend over and take it up the arse
Best way to describe it.

I went to one of these dealers locally. One that has a craphouse full of inventory, a radio and tv commercial complete with apple pie, the flag, banjo music, and an old fat guy that used to be on the radio narrating the line of BS. All the trimmings of being "honest"

Price I was given was easily $2k above other dealers on the new car, and trade in offer was nearly $2k lower than what I finally settled on elsewhere.

I'll sit down and do the "Dance of the 7 Veils" with the sales manager any day to save 3 or 4 grand.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #24
Lurkertill03/10/2016

Drives: Soon to be a Camaro
Wow, lots of responses over night. Thanks everyone.

For those asking, yes, I'm in the big apple of Canada (Toronto) and as sstoronto mentioned, dealers here are all about that no haggle pricing so its a bit difficult to talk them down. Interestingly enough, unlike the U.S., most smaller dealers don't have any Camaros on their lots and the biggers ones are so big they don't care how long the car sits there. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still holding onto Camaros from December (which have already been through the worst of winter outside in the cold and snow)

Edit: Also wanted to include that as another user mentioned, the CDN currency rate is down so much that it would make sense for CDN dealers to not dip the prices much even at month end. If a dealer pays $39k CDN for a $30k U.S. car but the buyer comes in asking for $37k, they're in for a loss unless its a GM discount that they'll get reimbursed for
Lurkertill03/10/2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #25
sstoronto

Drives: 2017 2SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkertill03/10/2016 View Post
Wow, lots of responses over night. Thanks everyone.

For those asking, yes, I'm in the big apple of Canada (Toronto) and as sstoronto mentioned, dealers here are all about that no haggle pricing so its a bit difficult to talk them down. Interestingly enough, unlike the U.S., most smaller dealers don't have any Camaros on their lots and the biggers ones are so big they don't care how long the car sits there. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still holding onto Camaros from December (which have already been through the worst of winter outside in the cold and snow)

Edit: Also wanted to include that as another user mentioned, the CDN currency rate is down so much that it would make sense for CDN dealers to not dip the prices much even at month end. If a dealer pays $39k CDN for a $30k U.S. car but the buyer comes in asking for $37k, they're in for a loss unless its a GM discount that they'll get reimbursed for
Hey Lurker, I'd recommend:
- Roy Foss Woodbridge
- Any "Humberview" site
- Boyer in Pickering
- Wilson Niblett
- Leggat in Rexdale

Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #26
zeekle

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
no haggle goes out the window as soon as you drive up with a trade.
zeekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #27
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
It's just a tactic to get some people to buy at the listed price and to not waste their time as much. You can definitely still haggle and negotiate with them.
marknagy13 is offline   Reply With Quote