#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #15
bluHawk141

Drives: 2015 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
E85 will do the trick for me. Definitely not doing meth. Even without that it's great to see both of these cammed cars putting down this kind of number. Previous version was one mod and then you were out of fuel. Much more promising this time around.
E85 is great, but that will get you running out of fuel even sooner. E85 requires 15 - 20% more fuel.
bluHawk141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Why are you guys putting corn in your tank? Seriously? This is a high performance engine designed for gasoline and you're putting ethanol in it? Not only do you get so much worse fuel economy that the little you save at the pump is far negated due to the amount you have to buy, but it gives WORSE performance, and it can damage your engine. Where do you think those "performance-sapping engine deposits" come from in commercials for fuel additives? How do you think they sell those in the first place? It's from the 10% ethanol we're all used to in conventional gas. It's ****ing terrible for your engine longevity and performance.

There are even some gas stations that offer ethanol-free fuel for these reasons. (http://www.pure-gas.org) Although, they are not numerous because they don't get governmental support for selling it and it's more expensive.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM voids your warranty. Is there a flex fuel sticker on your car or in the manual? I seriously doubt it. Have fun getting explained to why your valves and valve seats are all gummed up, and how GM won't pay for it. I sure as shit wouldn't be ****ing up the engine in my brand new $65,000 car... >_<

Last edited by ForgedReality; 12-09-2016 at 06:03 PM.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #17
zl1_tommy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
Why are you guys putting corn in your tank? Seriously? This is a high performance engine designed for gasoline and you're putting ethanol in it? Not only do you get so much worse fuel economy that the little you save at the pump is far negated due to the amount you have to buy, but it gives WORSE performance, and it can damage your engine. Where do you think those "performance-sapping engine deposits" come from in commercials for fuel additives? How do you think they sell those in the first place? It's from the 10% ethanol we're all used to in conventional gas. It's ****ing terrible for your engine longevity and performance.

There are even some gas stations that offer ethanol-free fuel for these reasons. (http://www.pure-gas.org) Although, they are not numerous because they don't get governmental support for selling it and it's more expensive.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM voids your warranty. Is there a flex fuel sticker on your car or in the manual? I seriously doubt it. Have fun getting explained to why your valves and valve seats are all gummed up, and how GM won't pay for it. I sure as shit wouldn't be ****ing up the engine in my brand new $65,000 car... >_<
So who wants to take this first?
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluHawk141 View Post
E85 is great, but that will get you running out of fuel even sooner. E85 requires 15 - 20% more fuel.
Yup... I love filling up with cheap gas..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post
So who wants to take this first?
LMAO.. just ignore and it might disappear.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #19
nvrlast07

Drives: 2011 synergy green rs
Quote:
Yup... I love filling up with cheap gas..

LMAO.. just ignore and it might disappear.
you guys crack me up, i don't know enough about e85 but i am all years esp when it comes to meth and e85
nvrlast07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrlast07 View Post
you guys crack me up, i don't know enough about e85 but i am all years esp when it comes to meth and e85
Here's a good video on both.

As for E85... the short story is it has a much higher octane rating so you can run more timing which equates to more power. E85 is also great for lots of boost and high compression N/A engines.

It's cooling affects are a big plus as ethanol absorbs twice as much heat during combustion as gasoline, which makes it a much more efficient cooling agent.

It's cleaner burning and leaves fewer carbon deposits on valves and pistons. Exhaust smells better, idles better and has a smoother power delivery.

It gets about 30 mpg less but then you're not buying expensive premium either so the cost is about a wash. Might also be a little hard to find for some folks and the mix ratio could be different depending on where you live which is where the flex sensor comes to play. If you want to run regular 93 octane you can or a mix of both and the sensor will compensate for you. If you are going to the track and want more power run E85.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:23 AM   #21
XWoodyX

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL-1
Quote:
Mr. Lee from the top rope...
XWoodyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:38 AM   #22
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Enjoyed the class tonight professor lee!!
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:42 AM   #23
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Thanks for the video. I've had meth on two of my cars, but I never tune for meth. I simply use it to lower detonation (especially in summer), cooling charged air and cleans the valves and pistons.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #24
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWoodyX View Post
Mr. Lee from the top rope...
LOL Mr Jeremy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Enjoyed the class tonight professor lee!!
Youtube is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Thanks for the video. I've had meth on two of my cars, but I never tune for meth. I simply use it to lower detonation (especially in summer), cooling charged air and cleans the valves and pistons.
...and that's a very good use for it.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #25
zl1_tommy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
If you're worried about MPG get yourself a Prius. You're not daily driving this. WTF is the difference between 17-20MPG on 93 and 10-13 on e85 if you're taking the car out to cruise/race a couple times a week? Calm down.
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
bluHawk141

Drives: 2015 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post
If you're worried about MPG get yourself a Prius. You're not daily driving this. WTF is the difference between 17-20MPG on 93 and 10-13 on e85 if you're taking the car out to cruise/race a couple times a week? Calm down.
I agree about the mileage and e85, and the cooling and octane is awesome. The sucky part is the additional 20% you need to keep you in a safe range on a fuel system that doesn't have too much more head room.
bluHawk141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #27
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
My chemical engineer friends say that e85 is fine so long as you don't let it sit too long in your tank (more than 2weeks) because it degrades much faster than conventional unleaded.

gas in general is all pretty much the same, doesn't matter what station you get it from so long as it's a name brand as franchise agreements require certain quality levels of fuel. technically it is possible to go to an exxon station and end up with shell gas it just needs to meet minimum quality requirements. because of regulations the oil companies no longer transport to stations. they don't even own stations really anymore, they will build where the community can benefit from a new station but sell it as fast as possible to a private owner.

Last edited by datboi448; 12-10-2016 at 01:58 PM.
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #28
joe@kpracing

Drives: 02 camaro
Track times from Guy Boner ZL1

Name:  15936.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  65.4 KB
joe@kpracing is offline   Reply With Quote