Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #85
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
so then, is it not recommended for long pulls IE: highway pulls? Track times where they are in high revs a lot of the time?
Yeah I was warned on doing long pulls. Was told quarter mile but no longer.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #86
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
I wonder if a meth setup for cooling effect would be beneficial.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #87
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
If you had a cooling issue Yes, but you don't, that Procharger intercooler system works really well.

Where you would see the gain is additional fuel and Additional octane but keep in mind you would be relying on the Meth system for fuel delivery, and octane, so if something fails in the system well You can figure it out.

Your best investment right now is a solid fuel system upgrade to open the door that you are currently up against.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #88
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
If you had a cooling issue Yes, but you don't, that Procharger intercooler system works really well.

Where you would see the gain is additional fuel and Additional octane but keep in mind you would be relying on the Meth system for fuel delivery, and octane, so if something fails in the system well You can figure it out.

Your best investment right now is a solid fuel system upgrade to open the door that you are currently up against.

Ted.
Ted,
Do you have any recommendations for how long of pulls you do with a boosted car using stock LT1 components?
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 02-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #89
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Ted,
Do you have any recommendations for how long of pulls you do with a boosted car using stock LT1 components?
I think it is safe to say as long as you are logging your car and low pressure, high pressure fuel pressure holds, and you do not exceed 6 milliseconds of injector opening time you are good to go.

What happens on the dyno may be very different out on the track so I like to leave a little cushion.

I have seen some minor variances car to car as far as fuel pressures and injector opening times.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #90
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Thank you Ted!. I was just about to email you some questions but you already beat me to it with the answers!.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #91
Joe's_cool_1le

Describes my issue. But I have not monitored any fuel pressures while driving it since it was tuned last spring.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ing+gap&page=3
Attached Images

Last edited by Joe's_cool_1le; 02-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #92
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
so then, is it not recommended for long pulls IE: highway pulls? Track times where they are in high revs a lot of the time?
It all depends on fuel and IAT’s. The issue with long pulls is some people’s fuel system can’t keep up and it starts to lean ou, or the heat transfer is too much and your IAT’s go through the roof. IAT’s aren’t nearly as bad and typically can’t tank your engine, but going lean will destroy it.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #93
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
If you go to the track, 1/4 mile you will be hot. I have the same cooling set up set up you do and making a pass at the track I’m getting a little hot by the end of the pass. That’s with ambient temps in the 60’s and at night. Meth would help with it and also allow me to put a little more timing to the car which means more power. I’m reluctant to depend on fuel adders because if it fails, my stock fuel would go lean with the extra timing. Even with a bigger fuel system I’m limited to a higher octane fuel that is not as easy to get. If you are able to tie a shut down to your meth system it’s not as bad, but you can’t watch every aspect of that system electronically and program a shut down to it. In the old days it was much easier.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #94
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Added to the build. Upgrading trunion bearings and adding a meth kit with the 3 gallon trunk tank.

Probably should start a build thread instead of the blown front seal thread.

For any new people seeing this, here is the skinny verses having to read the entire thread.
Blew front and rear seals, 2 ring land pistons with some scratching on the walls that required a .005" to fix. Now forging.

Most likely caused by doing long pulls @ about 600 RWHP and 10PSI of boost. 14k miles on the car with 11k being boosted. Driven very hard with countless pulls from 2nd, 3rd, and top of 4th.
Thanks Joe,

Anyway I can get a copy of what the data log and tune looked like at time of failure, (I'm interested in the lack of Cylinder Quenching that is a piece to the puzzle).

Feel free to PM.

Thanks
P/H
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #95
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Absolutely!

Lean=HOT
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #96
boostednut

Drives: Nothing cool atm
Quote:
I think this car would benefit from water meth more than most.

Meth gives more fuel but I think the proper approach to deal with lt1 piston ring issues is to use water too. I would go for good fueling on DI pump and then do the old 50/50 mix.

Meth will cool intake temps and allow for more timing, but water will cool the combustion front and do most of its state change inside the combustion chamber during combustion. It will have the greatest impact on EGT and in cylinder temperature. It doesn't burn, but it also doesn't stop burning. It just lowers the temperature/displace fuel+air. So find the right amount to lower temps during full load and I think it would prevent failures like this one. Water has the highest latent heat of any liquid, and that makes it tremendous. You don't need a lot of water to really drop temps.

But in theory meth injection should do this too, depending on how you do it.

All why most tuners like to run engines a bit "Fat"; little extra fuel in the combustion chamber lowers the temperature, helps keep parts happy.

Many different ways to skin a cat. I think water meth is perfect for the lt1, but that's just my take.
boostednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #97
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostednut View Post
I think this car would benefit from water meth more than most.

Meth gives more fuel but I think the proper approach to deal with lt1 piston ring issues is to use water too. I would go for good fueling on DI pump and then do the old 50/50 mix.

I think water meth is perfect for the lt1, but that's just my take.
Agreed! Water has benefits in IAT, combustion chamber, and controlling EGT.
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #98
Joe's_cool_1le

Update!
All parts are in and the block is ready for the build. Added a couple items. Meth 3 gallon in trunk, RXT 1200 Twin Disc Clutch, and a catch can (I know catch can probably should have been the first mod lol).