Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
So does the GT4.R mean no Z/28?

So it looks as though the race car GT4.R is based on the ZL1, does this mean there won't be a new Z/28?

Thoughts...
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...Not necessarily....The previous Z/28s that were raced in those IMSA series, etc., ended up being modified so much that they hardly seemed like the production Z/28s...

What's needed for those racing series with the GT4.R is closer to a ZL-1 (or 1L-E) than what the Z/28 has been, or might be in the future....

I think we'll still see a 6thGen Z/28 at some point....when, and what it will be like is getting harder and harder to guess, though....lol....Just my $.02....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
My thought is Z/28 in spirit, with another name, seeing that Z/28 has been the road race car in prior years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The Z/28 prototype we've seen looks like it will share a lot with the ZL1. The fenders and hood look identical, while the fascia is slightly modified for the dive planes.

Still, we haven't seen the actual GT.4, just a rendering GM put out. It could end up using a lot of Z/28 features but they can't say that until the Z is revealed.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
GT4 is a race series / class is it not. This is a car built to fall in that category.
It is not a Z/28. Could be bits and parts learned in developing one. This is a good way to test Tech on the track and funnel it down to the Z/28

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
On the contrary I think this confirms that the Z/28 is real! And that it should be a similar road legal version of the GT4
Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
On the contrary I think this confirms that the Z/28 is real! And that it should be a similar road legal version of the GT4
Perhaps...., but a LT-1 powerplant, built on a Camaro ZL-1 platform, sounds like a stretch for a Z/28....

Some SS and ZL-1 performance mods, spoiler, aero, LT-1 hp bumps, etc., might come from the GT4.R, but I think a street legal Z/28 would need to be more unique than that somehow.....

It will be interesting to see how many of these get built for racing and private customer purchase....and if they get used for weekend track toys....
Old 02-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Perhaps...., but a LT-1 powerplant, built on a Camaro ZL-1 platform, sounds like a stretch for a Z/28....

Some SS and ZL-1 performance mods, spoiler, aero, LT-1 hp bumps, etc., might come from the GT4.R, but I think a street legal Z/28 would need to be more unique than that somehow.....

It will be interesting to see how many of these get built for racing and private customer purchase....and if they get used for weekend track toys....
That sounds a lot like the Z07 Grand Sport formula to me.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

I believe you are over thinking it. Long before there was even a whisper of a 6th gen race car we were seeing the Z/28 mule that was clearly based on the ZL1 body (for the added Aero benefits over the regular SS body). The reason they are using a tuned up LT1 instead the engine that will go in the Z/28 (which I am almost 99% certain will be the LT5) is because it would be impractical to de-tune it to match the GT4 HP/torque restrictions, and the LT5 will weigh more than the LT1.

So by no means does the fact that this GT4 is ZL1 based with an LT1 rule out a ZL1 based LT5 powered Z/28!
Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaro View Post
So it looks as though the race car GT4.R is based on the ZL1, does this mean there won't be a new Z/28?

Thoughts...
I really think this is correct.

I'm betting a Z/28 comes around again but like the last one will be very "special". Meaning with a new LT5 or something of the sort. The last Z/28 knocked it out of the part as far as being track focused. Keeping something in their back pockets while competition tries to catch up would be smart. I think we will see it sometime down the road but R models normally come after the street version, not before.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I really think this is correct.

I'm betting a Z/28 comes around again but like the last one will be very "special". Meaning with a new LT5 or something of the sort. The last Z/28 knocked it out of the part as far as being track focused. Keeping something in their back pockets while competition tries to catch up would be smart. I think we will see it sometime down the road but R models normally come after the street version, not before.
Well, they did debut the Corvette Z06 and the C7.R at the same time. I'll go out on a limb and say that IF they are doing a Z/28, it will be pulled out next to the actual race car. I say that because if they keep the Z/28 in the precedent of the 5th Gen car, it will give a certain credibility to what I'm sure will be lofty (compared to the Camaro line up) priced street legal race car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Well, they did debut the Corvette Z06 and the C7.R at the same time. I'll go out on a limb and say that IF they are doing a Z/28, it will be pulled out next to the actual race car. I say that because if they keep the Z/28 in the precedent of the 5th Gen car, it will give a certain credibility to what I'm sure will be lofty (compared to the Camaro line up) priced street legal race car.
True and I agree, but with this R already out I feel like it's going to take a lot to bring out a Z/28 anytime soon.
Kind of hope I'm right because I don't want the temptation to trade up anytime soon either.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

...All good thoughts and possibilities.....Maybe the Z/28 will be a part of the 6thGen "Re-fresh" in '18?, '19?....

This GT4- "looks" a lot like what was thought to be the Z/28 at the 'Ring, but this reveal of the GT4 seems to have happened when we thought we'd see a Z/28....

Instead, it just looks more to me like it is an R version on a 1LE, more than a new Z/28....Not a bad thing at all....It just makes the niche of what a Z/28 will be more of a head-scratcher....

They seem to be doing a good job of keeping us guessing and keeping things secrets....lol...
Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
True and I agree, but with this R already out I feel like it's going to take a lot to bring out a Z/28 anytime soon.
Kind of hope I'm right because I don't want the temptation to trade up anytime soon either.
Well, unless I missed it, they haven't actually "rolled out" the GT4 car, other than renderings? If you recall, and I'm quite sure you do, the reveal of the ZL1 came on a media day for the turbo 4 car. Up until that day, we were still speculating, like we are today with the Z/28. It seems like the marketing crew for Team Camaro is into deep covert development and surprise reveals.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote