Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #15
Optimus

Drives: Former 2010 and 2013 Camaro owner
It isn't about winning the monthly/yearly sales crown anymore. Building high quality vehicles that are profitable is the new plan and it's working. Not sure how many Mustangs Ford sold to the rental/fleet market but it was a lot more than the GM sold.
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #16
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcal780 View Post
I do agree with you Raptor. I mean, I paid $43k for my 1SS, but there's $5k in just my wheels and brembo's alone. I love my car, and it's really all that matters, but it's certainly not a "deal."
I hear ya. Another example, GM made you pay $43k for a 2016 1SS but just a short time ago my 2013 2SS 1LE with sunroof, NAV and NPP was 43k MSRP and paid $39k. The 1LE package includes the red calipers, $4k wheel and tire upgrade and a bunch of other suspension and cosmetic stuff, etc. Even if you take off the $3k Brembo upgrade you are still at $40k for a 1SS. Great car, But is about $5k too high IMO.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #17
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
I would rather buy a used stingray than a 2SS Camaro for the simple fact it's not too much more and will hold its value better plus have better performance. The Camaro while a nice car is too expensive.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #18
AlexM

Drives: Used to be 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Meanwhile in Ohio...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/talked-oh...164500085.html

Talking about price war...

BEE used to have
MyLink with NAV
Black 10 spoke FR41 wheels (ZL1 Replica)
Roto-fab CF CAI / Scoop and Washer Bottle Relocation KIT
Vmax yellow painted ported TB
Solo HF Cats with Kooks 2.5" catback
SLP Replica Spliter, CF Stripes and CF bowties
Hawk ceramic brake pads
OEM Strut Tower Brace - Yellow Plastidip
Range device - AFM Delete
Halo/DRL Harness (Halo/DRL on day and night while driving)
Engine Cover/Air Compressor Delete
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #19
PH3688
Marines are ghey

Drives: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
you mean making you pay extra to get the thing you really want which is the remastered version of COD4 LOL
Lelz. 👍
Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp23rockstar View Post
I would rather buy a used stingray than a 2SS Camaro for the simple fact it's not too much more and will hold its value better plus have better performance. The Camaro while a nice car is too expensive.
but... a used 2SS will be even less. Flawed logic to compare used and new

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #21
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
Right wrong or indifferent, price will make a difference. Yep, no question, for the additional cost, someone's getting more out of the Camaro, but that doesn't change the beginning talking point of, a Mustang GT starts at X, a Camaro SS starts at X+3-5k.

A few grand will make a difference when justifying a purchase to one's self, or one's spouse, or when calculating the budget for other things.

There are positives and negatives to this approach. Is it a mistake? I don't know, but I figure, as long as GM's making good cars, and the press loves the 6th gen., turning a profit on them, and selling enough to justify a facility to make them, then that'll work.

Look at it as a quantity vs. quality debate, which is really what it is, I think. Depending on what the end goal is, the debate will move one way or the other. Would you rather see GM beat competitors on a track, or in sales volume? That will influence your viewpoint.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilflos View Post
Right wrong or indifferent, price will make a difference. Yep, no question, for the additional cost, someone's getting more out of the Camaro, but that doesn't change the beginning talking point of, a Mustang GT starts at X, a Camaro SS starts at X+3-5k.

A few grand will make a difference when justifying a purchase to one's self, or one's spouse, or when calculating the budget for other things.

There are positives and negatives to this approach. Is it a mistake? I don't know, but I figure, as long as GM's making good cars, and the press loves the 6th gen., turning a profit on them, and selling enough to justify a facility to make them, then that'll work.

Look at it as a quantity vs. quality debate, which is really what it is, I think. Depending on what the end goal is, the debate will move one way or the other. Would you rather see GM beat competitors on a track, or in sales volume? That will influence your viewpoint.
Issue is you could easily have beaten Ford on the track AND in sales. These are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Number 3; 05-11-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #23
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
but... a used 2SS will be even less. Flawed logic to compare used and new
You're right. I'm not disagreeing, just saying I would find more value in a used stingray then a new 2SS.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #24
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
It isn't about winning the monthly/yearly sales crown anymore. Building high quality vehicles that are profitable is the new plan and it's working. Not sure how many Mustangs Ford sold to the rental/fleet market but it was a lot more than the GM sold.
Is the 6th gen profitable? Can you back up the "it's working" statement with the data that proves this? As for quality, jury is still out on that.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #25
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Is the 6th gen profitable? Can you back up the "it's working" statement with the data that proves this? As for quality, jury is still out on that.
I think the "It's working" statement is derived by GM's own statements indicating that this was the direction that they have moved in, to move less vehicles at a higher profit, and that it was going well.

Only time will tell I guess but all we have to go on right now is that all indications from GM up to this point is that this change is by design and going as planned.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #26
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
I find it odd that they would shoot for selling less cars at a higher profit vs selling the same amount at a higher profit.

Logically, it seems like the former only allows one to "break even" with the previous method while the latter would allow for more income to the company.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #27
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
I find it odd that they would shoot for selling less cars at a higher profit vs selling the same amount at a higher profit.

Logically, it seems like the former only allows one to "break even" with the previous method while the latter would allow for more income to the company.
Your not considering the other factors like the cost cutting that moving to a shared platform gives, not having the costs of producing thousands of "fleet" just cars to make a small margin....etc.

Do you have more profits from selling a hundred $1 widgets or selling seventy five at $1.50 and also having cost savings because you produced less widgets?
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #28
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
No, I see your point.

But ATS and CTS aren't exactly flying off the shelf either.