Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-24-2024, 06:59 PM   #1
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
Genuine GM Chevrolet Performance Exhaust Upgrade

I am looking into an exhaust with no drone and choose the Borla S Type but my mechanic said they don't run right afterward and not to modify it.

So does GM guarantee it will run right if I get the performance Upgrade for my 2017 3.6L V6 RS?

Also, does anyone have a sound clip of it for 6th gen or 5th gen? I hear its the same thing as Borla exhaust but is it the Atak louder version or milder S-Type if anyone knows that is.

I tried several times searching forums both for 5th and 6th gen but didn't find it in 15 pages worth of search results. Last 2 search results wouldn't display anything too so here I am asking when someone probably asked same question so apoligies in advance.
Max_Burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:20 PM   #2
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
I do not have any first hand knowledge, but there are many videos on You Tube of upgraded Axle Back Exhaust on the V6 and the Turbo and the cars run fine, seems to me like your mechanic just did not want to do it possibly ?
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:37 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
The Borla S Type is the same thing as the GM Performance exhaust, GM outsourced the creation to Borla and stamped the GM name on it instead. I believe the main difference is the GM exhaust only comes in dual tip while Borla offers NPP compatible quad tips as well as dual (plus the black and carbon fiber tipped variants from Borla)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yup, correct. Here is the PM I received a few months ago from Lisa @ Borla
Hi Glen,

Sorry for my delayed response. Thanks for reaching out!

The GM Performance by Borla systems are designed to GM's specifications. That said, the Borla systems tend to be slightly louder

So if I yanked the second cat, now it's probably equal to their S system. If I had it to do all over, and local dealer approved, I go straight to the S system.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:01 AM   #4
Max_Burnside

Thanks everyone for the info. I suppose I need to ask the dealer directly if they'll guarantee it'll run right and if not they can fix it. Which I doubt they will for free.

No the mechanic doesn't do exhaust, but is a good ole' boy whom I trust to tell me the truth. I may have a noisy strut but it's a mild knock and he advised it doesn't need replacing just yet, saving me a few bucks where the dealer would advise replacing the transmission too because of the strut noise I bet. So I trust him and he's a certified ASE mechanic that's had his own business for 30+ years. I've seen all the videos but you NEVER see a video on youtube where it downgrades and doesn't recommend a product. Youtube gets threats of being sued everytime a product is discouraged on youtube I've heard, so youtube is sort of rigged to always recommend you buy something. I bet you can't find a video that actually doesn't recommend a product or it is rare. And I actually messaged someone who had a video of a muffler by magnaflow (super 44's) and he said he had to replace it after awhile because of the drone inside cabin. This was 2 years after his video. He said he went with Borla which had no drone. You won't see a video of the fact there is drone inside the cabin of these videos though. Maybe the drone is mild at first and people are happy to have a good sounding exhaust at first so they ignore the negative is what I suppose.

I'm going to call a dealer tomorrow and see what they say about a guarantee and if any tuning is required by the dealer on it. I assume not in both cases.

Last edited by Max_Burnside; 01-25-2024 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
It makes no sense that it wouldn't run right just because of an axle back. That's just silly. Ask people to explain that to you, why they say that. Your ASE guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.
There's no reason that a dealer wouldn't support a GM product, I presume you're leaning that way for that exact reason.

People make a lot of BS and should just say that they don't want to do something, or they don't like money. I don't know which.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:04 AM   #6
CYN_CRVR

Drives: 2023 V6 RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
It makes no sense that it wouldn't run right just because of an axle back. That's just silly. Ask people to explain that to you, why they say that. Your ASE guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.
There's no reason that a dealer wouldn't support a GM product, I presume you're leaning that way for that exact reason.
I agree 100%
CYN_CRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:09 PM   #7
Max_Burnside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post

People make a lot of BS and should just say that they don't want to do something, or they don't like money. I don't know which.
That's why I'm here asking the question. With so many ssatisfied I was just wondering if anyone has had any troubles with their aftermarket system or not. Like I said I can't find anything negative on youtube but youtube isn't reliable authority on all things.

I checked with the local dealer here and he said that most if not all aftermarket exhausts don't provide enough back pressure as my mechanic had said. I don't know if its a sales gimmick but he said he'd guarantee it'd run right if they did the work with GM products.

I think their GM exhaust is just Borla repackaged and about the same price or cheaper. I was going with Borla anyway, so I'm going to go with the GM brand one so my mechanic can't blame it on the exhaust if I have to take it in for whatever.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:49 PM   #8
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Leave the cats alone and you won't have any trouble , imo. Mine has always ran great. If anything it runs better and mpg improved a little since exhaust mods. I would not remove the cats because of the smell even though it would probably run good with the second cats removed.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:19 PM   #9
jc707

Drives: '23 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Burnside View Post
That's why I'm here asking the question. With so many ssatisfied I was just wondering if anyone has had any troubles with their aftermarket system or not. Like I said I can't find anything negative on youtube but youtube isn't reliable authority on all things.

I checked with the local dealer here and he said that most if not all aftermarket exhausts don't provide enough back pressure as my mechanic had said. I don't know if its a sales gimmick but he said he'd guarantee it'd run right if they did the work with GM products.

I think their GM exhaust is just Borla repackaged and about the same price or cheaper. I was going with Borla anyway, so I'm going to go with the GM brand one so my mechanic can't blame it on the exhaust if I have to take it in for whatever.

Thanks again for the feedback.
I have the GM performance axle-back exhaust that was installed by my local GM dealer, full warranty. I’ve had it now for a little over a year, no problems at all. I’m happy with the upgrade as it does improve the sound. However, don’t expect a dramatic change.

1100: 6/6/22
Built/3800: 7/25 (TPW 7/25)
5000: 8/26
Took delivery: 8/27
PPF and Ceramic coating completed: 8/31
jc707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:33 PM   #10
CYN_CRVR

Drives: 2023 V6 RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Burnside View Post
I checked with the local dealer here and he said that most if not all aftermarket exhausts don't provide enough back pressure as my mechanic had said.
This is a myth that seemingly will never die. Exhaust scavenging is good, but that occurs primarily in the exhaust manifolds and secondarily where the left and right exhaust banks first meet (i.e., the X-, H-, or Y-pipe).

The mufflers are well behind this and play no part in scavenging, so they should have zero backpressure for maximum power.

https://motordyneengineering.com/sca...pressure-myth/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/engi...-inch-exhaust/

CYN_CRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:36 PM   #11
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
I got the GM upgrade for my 2018 RS V6. I really liked the sound, but if you're after volume you should look for something else. At idle it was not much louder than the standard exhaust, but at higher RPMs it had a nice growl to it. Certainly not anything that will make your neighbors hate you. It had zero drone at highway speeds. It's pretty hard to tell what it will sound like from a recording. You really just have to experience it in person. Personally I think it's perfect for the V6 and had no regrets doing it. It took the shop less than an hour to install it.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:00 AM   #12
Max_Burnside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
I got the GM upgrade for my 2018 RS V6. I really liked the sound, but if you're after volume you should look for something else. At idle it was not much louder than the standard exhaust, but at higher RPMs it had a nice growl to it. Certainly not anything that will make your neighbors hate you. It had zero drone at highway speeds. It's pretty hard to tell what it will sound like from a recording. You really just have to experience it in person. Personally I think it's perfect for the V6 and had no regrets doing it. It took the shop less than an hour to install it.
Yeah I wasn't looking for obnoxiously loud. I used to have a truck with a really loud exhaust that would set off car alarms parked behind me upon start up. It wasn't so cool to others I found out and I don't plan to piss people off just want a better growl and maybe one volume level more.

Thanks for the feedback. It helps.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:29 PM   #13
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Flowmaster Axle-back. 75,000 miles with no issues.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/37Y0QYaIscg

Tags
2lt rs, 3.6l, chevrolet, exhaust