Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #1
Toronto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Question Exhaust suggestions

hello all,

my LS3 camaro is completely straightpiped. No cats. No res. No mufflers.

WAAAAAY too loud to DD. I have bbk longtubes and i want the cold starts a little quieter but i still want the chop from my cam to be loud.

Im not paying 2, 3, 4K for a whole system. Waste of money imo.

Thinking maybe i throw on a set of resonators. Will that make a big enough difference? Will they help remove some rasp? Leaning towards SLP loudmouths or Aero TR series.

let me know!
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Resonators are more for reducing/eliminating higher frequencies (rasp) and don't do much to reduce volume. A big (oval) muffler on either side is probably what you need. Smaller (cylindrical) mufflers may not be enough to make a big enough difference.

You could also try replacing the X-pipe (or H-pipe) with a muffler/X-pipe combo (for example, part number 11386 by Magnaflow, https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...-muffler-11386), so you'd have just one oval muffler, although I did this on my V6 which also had cats (no other mufflers/resonators) and it was decently loud so in your case it may still be louder than you want.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:49 PM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Resonators are more for reducing/eliminating higher frequencies (rasp) and don't do much to reduce volume. A big (oval) muffler on either side is probably what you need. Smaller (cylindrical) mufflers may not be enough to make a big enough difference.

You could also try replacing the X-pipe (or H-pipe) with a muffler/X-pipe combo (for example, part number 11386 by Magnaflow, https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...-muffler-11386), so you'd have just one oval muffler, although I did this on my V6 which also had cats (no other mufflers/resonators) and it was decently loud so in your case it may still be louder than you want.
^^^ This. I did the magnaflow mid muffler back when mine was straight piped and no cats. Toned it down pretty nicely and could still hear the cam very well. Had headers too.. Then after a while I opted for a good 3 inch catback system for 1400 bucks. Done deal..
Old 08-19-2023, 06:13 PM   #4
ajg85

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS
Vouch MagnaFlow. I had stainless steel cat-back x-pipe with resonator and mufflers for about $1500 once upon a time. While it was still "loud enough" to turn heads and get shout outs it was not race car / track day / need a SHOEI to drive to the store loud ... can't beat the flow of a 4 inch straight pipe though so you could also get some ear plugs for $1, just saying.
'02 Red Camaro Z28: "Chimero"
'01 Gold Camaro: "Goldie"
'98 Black Firebird: "Blackhawk"
Yes, I name cars, but they don't seem to mind.
ajg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #5
rdavis

Drives: 2012 SS
Find a pair of factory NPP mufflers. You will love them. Closed - nice exhaust sound with absolutely no drone. I can run down the highway at 80mph with my 3.91s & i hear just enough to know the engine is running. Open- essentially strait through exhaust. I have less than $650 in my setup including the 1LE diffuser.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:09 PM   #6
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
If I could do it over I would get the Z28 system. They also offer the adapters for hook up to an SS. I don't know if they are still available.

Z/28 Cat-Back Exhaust System
POWER PERFORMER
Cat-back exhaust kits are a great way to increase power and performance with a simple bolt-on installation. This kit comes complete with pipes, mufflers, hangers, and exhaust tips assembled as a single unit. It features 2.75" pipes, with 26% less back pressure than a stock LS3 system.

PART NO. 22906768 (NOT SHOWN)

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...camaro/exhaust
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:53 PM   #7
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCNY View Post
If I could do it over I would get the Z28 system. They also offer the adapters for hook up to an SS. I don't know if they are still available.

Z/28 Cat-Back Exhaust System
POWER PERFORMER
Cat-back exhaust kits are a great way to increase power and performance with a simple bolt-on installation. This kit comes complete with pipes, mufflers, hangers, and exhaust tips assembled as a single unit. It features 2.75" pipes, with 26% less back pressure than a stock LS3 system.

PART NO. 22906768 (NOT SHOWN)

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...camaro/exhaust
the z/28 cat-back system is no longer available. It's been discontinued. I've been looking for one for a while now. I may trade my NPP exhaust for my buddies corsa extreme. He said it too obnoxious.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:23 AM   #8
Leadsled

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6MT
I have kooks headers, Gutted cats, with Magna Flow center Muffler and Solo Performance J pipes axle back. Spend less than a grand for everything
Old 09-15-2023, 04:17 PM   #9
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
This Borla System will quite it down and still have very nice aggressive tone.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:02 PM   #10
ss camaro-monte

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss, 87 monte ss
I personally like solo but I am cammed now but with full length TSP 1 7/8 with straight piped solo catback it is really only loud at start up and when you floor it with a stock cam. Cats make a big difference in sound, even those solo high flow cats were not that loud but once I went full headers and straight pipes it was much louder even without the cam.
ss camaro-monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust