Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #113
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
So the just of the article is it will have a 7 or 8 speed transmission. (What exactly would that shift pattern look like with 7 speeds?) And that unless you can afford the $60,000 (by then) ZL1 version, it's 4-cylinder only? This is going to go over about as well as the Mustang II did.

If this is the case, I say just end production after the 5th Gen run is through. Isn't the entire point of the Camaro (or any other car in this class) to be affordable performance? A torque-less wonder that tries to cover up its shortcomings by revving high and constantly hunting for gears is not a muscle car, it is an econobox with delusions of grandeur. Will it come with a coffee can muffler too? After all, nothing says muscle like loud, 4-cylinder buzz.

And no thanks to turbos as well, unless GM is willing to offer a minimum 15 year/200,000 mile warranty on it. If you think gas for a V8 is expensive, wait till you see the bill for a turbo.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #114
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
I don't really care what they come up with next. I am totally happy with the car I have and what it lacks I will modify. I think the Gen 5 will be the last of a dying breed and I consider myself one lucky SOB.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #115
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00 View Post
The current V6 and proposed 4 cyl are not designed for the hardcore musclecar enthusiast, but they provide the sales that allow the V8 models to exist. I would venture to guess that a large majority of those who purchase non-SS models do not care what drivetrain is under the sheetmetal if the performance is there. I would have never considered buying a V6 Camaro prior to the 5th Gen and release of the LLT, but for 95% of the driving I do the performance is more than adequate.

If gas is $5 a gallon when the G6 is released, a high MPG 4 cyl would sell much better than a V8. The V8 will still be an option for those who want the power that comes with it. I am not a fan of hybrids, but if a hybrid option allows the Camaro to sell in larger numbers and continue to be built, I am all for it.

Take a look at how easy it is to add power to a turbocharged engine, most 4 cyl turbo'd cars can gain an easy 50-100 horse with simple bolt-ons and a tune. The current LLT is nearly maxed out from the factory. I would like to see the V6 live on in the next platform, but I don't see how a N/A V6 fits in with a Turbo 4, or a Turbo V6 fitting in with the V8. I do however think a N/A 4 cyl would be a big mistake.
This really best sums up how the Camaro has to have a broad appeal. Everybody is getting their cake and icing to boot. And yes, we have diehard Camaro engineerers and designings that know exactly what we want.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #116
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

Why do we need to add more gears!?!? I thought 6spd was excessive now they are talking 7?! Just dont get it...

and a turbo charged 4cyl!?
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #117
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE-B-TUNA View Post
I don't really care what they come up with next. I am totally happy with the car I have and what it lacks I will modify. I think the Gen 5 will be the last of a dying breed and I consider myself one lucky SOB.

Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #118
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Why do we need to add more gears!?!? I thought 6spd was excessive now they are talking 7?! Just dont get it...

and a turbo charged 4cyl!?
I do like how the 6 gears are spread out on my manual V6. But you have to believe that going into 7 and 8 gears is just a scam to show better mpg ratings. Sure you could gear these cars to go 1400 rpm at 70 mph, but what use is that for anyone.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #119
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
If this is the case, I say just end production after the 5th Gen run is through. Isn't the entire point of the Camaro (or any other car in this class) to be affordable performance? A torque-less wonder that tries to cover up its shortcomings by revving high and constantly hunting for gears is not a muscle car, it is an econobox with delusions of grandeur. Will it come with a coffee can muffler too? After all, nothing says muscle like loud, 4-cylinder buzz.
More gears means less hunting...that was one of the benefits of the 6-speed versus the old 4. And "torqueless" is not a word I'd use to describe GM's turbo Ecotec.

And no thanks to turbos as well, unless GM is willing to offer a minimum 15 year/200,000 mile warranty on it. If you think gas for a V8 is expensive, wait till you see the bill for a turbo.
Turbochargers, when used from an OEM standpoint usually mean better fuel economy...Ford's created a whole new marketing campaign around their 'Ecoboost' line of engines...and from an OEM application, they're also just as reliable as a standard engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
More gears keep the engine in it's "sweet spot" for longer... which equals more fuel economy and more performance.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #120
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Turbochargers, when used from an OEM standpoint usually mean better fuel economy...Ford's created a whole new marketing campaign around their 'Ecoboost' line of engines...and from an OEM application, they're also just as reliable as a standard engine...
I'm not opposed to turbochargers in Camaros. I'm just opposed to turbocharged 4-bangers in Camaros.

But, I digress.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #121
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
kmcd x2

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #122
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Have you looked at the sales reports? 2/3rds of all Camaros sold are V6s. How is that "barely convinces many"? The Camaro is not ONLY about raw performance...it's also about offering an affordable, fun and stylish coupe to the masses.
Aren't you forgetting to mention that there is a very steep "premium" being levied upon those who choose a V8 model over a V6? It is widely known that there is an effort to tamp down the V8 sales due to pressure from various regulatory agencies which GM must adhere to.

Since we have these these artificial "punishments" imposed on auto makers for producing too many vehicles that certain lobby groups disapprove of, they must artificially limit the sales of the V8 models through the pricing structure. There's no way an SS should cost $7,000 more than an LT. (2011 1LT = $23,880 / 2SS = $30,945 and 2LT = $27,225 / 2SS = $34,295)

If we did not have unelected beaurocrats meddling in the auto market, you would see a much different ratio of V6 to V8 sales. What do you think the sales ratio would be if the difference were a much more realistic $2,500?

Oh... and don't forget about that little thing they call "Allocation" that basically means they can build V6 to V8 in any ratio they want, so even if the price was not being used as a V8 deterrent, they could simply not make more than whatever number they are "allowed" to sell.

I don't think citing sales figures for V6 to V8 is any measure of what the buyers actually desire.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #123
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #124
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I don't even get out of 3rd gear going down the drag strip at 110mph why do i need 4 more gears lol
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #125
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
8 speed auto? Heck, the 6 speeds are annoying enough, with 8 the stupid thing will be constantly shifting.

For the manual, they should just leave it at 6 and fix the current problems with synchros and the famous missing bearing. Give it a larger case so you can fit decent sized synchros and blockers in it. Cram more gears in there and you are going to wind up with tiny synchros and tons of gear clash.

Improve the current TR6060 and drop the rear gear to 4.11, I'd be a happy camper.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #126
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Not at all. That's the difference between today and the 70s. They had no choice but to choke off performance back then...there was no other alternative to achieve higher fuel economy and lower emissions.
Why not make 2 models then...

one "choked off performance" model mode from soda-can thin metal and plastic that totes around 750 pounds of exotic and expensive materials that reduce emissions and improve economy

the second model could be made from regular materials and thicker metal and is still safer and less expensive and performs much better as a result. It would probably be reasonably clean and efficient as well, since it wouldn't be hauling around dozens of air bags, smog pumps, catalytic converters, charcoal filters, backup cameras, etc. etc. etc....

Why can't they just make whatever cars people will buy and let the buyer buy the car they want?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote