Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
afraid to mod.

i just find i want a bit more, want to add borla headers, CAI and a pro charger but i see stories of people dropping there engine.... even just headers and cat back I'm worried what do you think?
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
i just find i want a bit more, want to add borla headers, CAI and a pro charger but i see stories of people dropping there engine.... even just headers and cat back I'm worried what do you think?
If your worried no one will convince you otherwise. It's up to you to mod or not. I had that same thought for about 5 minutes but I knew what I wanted from this car and if it goes south then it's up to me to deal with it. So with only 2200 miles it was time for a ProCharger
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Are you concerned about losing your warranty or blowing something up? If it's about blowing something up, I haven't seen any threads of any catastrophic failures with the parts you mentioned.
Edit: sorry, I haven't heard too much period about the procharger except lethal has one and he seems to be fine. I'm sure there are others. I haven't had my camaro long but usually, in my limited experience, the tune is everything to keep you camaro running well.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
If you can't afford a motor replacement out of warranty, don't mod it.

With that said, if you trust your tuner explicitly, I'd feel comfortable doing it.
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
Go with a Whipple or Magnuson, they offer a warranty to cover your powertrain, and they are a far superior supercharger over procharger.
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickracenLS3 View Post
and they are a far superior supercharger over procharger.
Let's not get carried away
Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
Are you concerned about losing your warranty or blowing something up? If it's about blowing something up, I haven't seen any threads of any catastrophic failures with the parts you mentioned.
Edit: sorry, I haven't heard too much period about the procharger except lethal has one and he seems to be fine. I'm sure there are others. I haven't had my camaro long but usually, in my limited experience, the tune is everything to keep you camaro running well.
So you had a tune on yours? If so, what gains did you get? I am one who can't really afford big mods like a super charger and headers etc.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I do agree with if you can't afford to replace the engine or worried about having a warranty then you probably shouldn't mod. The LT1 is tried and true and isn't an engine that you should tend to have to worry about though. Exceptions to every rule and you will never know regardless of make or model. There is always a risk but some engines go even without modding
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Exciting undertaking for sure. We all want just a little more power eventually, but as my pop once told me: you have to pay to play.

hope I can avoid the 'mod bug' when I upgrade in a couple years.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #10
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Seems that most people have great experiences with procharger systems and definitely CAIs and headers. All have been well documented.
You may want to search on these topics, as you've started a lot of threads recently including your thread on "Which Mods and the risk of warranty loss" which seems to be the same as this.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #11
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Do it.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
I went through the same thoughts as well and actually read something here that helped me get on with it.

Someone said the warranty is basically an imaginary line drawn in the sand. At some point you'll reach your 3/36k right and then you'll be paying for everything that breaks out of pocket then and from that day forward.. So why let it hold you back from modding the car now and enjoying it NOW the way you truly want it.

With that said I ordered the Procharger.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Where are you finding the stories of people dropping their engines after doing the mods you list?
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickracenLS3 View Post
Go with a Whipple or Magnuson, they offer a warranty to cover your powertrain, and they are a far superior supercharger over procharger.
Edelbrock warranties their unit also; 36K/3yr.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote