Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
RS package is a must in my book. The wheels, the headlights, and even the grill makes a world of a difference on the overall look of the car. Well worth the extra 2 grant.
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #16
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
NPP and 1LE are the only real advantages. Our 1LE version won't come with MRC included. So basically your paying a package fee for shit you can already order from the build & price and a wrap shop.
The V6 1LE just has the standard SS suspension, FE3, just like the 2.0T 1LE. No Mag Ride... It'd be nice if they did though
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #17
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I dont want to start a RS package war or anything, but...
{In my opinion}... I got a "functional", better looking grill, OE take-off wheels and tires, and a lighter weight, better looking/functioning spoiler, for HALF the price of the RS package. With the added benefit of no half/LED halo thingy's under the headlights...
Once again, there are soooo many way's to approach these cars, it will make your head spin!!!
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:22 AM   #18
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Think i remember that thread and bitching out a ton of V8 and a handful of ill-informed V6 guys. Personally what RobertAvitia said is why everyone buys their camaro for the most part. Myself i came from a 5th Gen V6 Camaro and just couldn't afford the 6th Gen V8 and didn't want a used 5th Gen V8. So now you beg the question what's the difference between the decision on a V6 vs. I4. It's quite simple are you looking to mod for more power or keeping it 90% stock. I'm not saying you can't mod the V6 but to reach what we can for 5k in parts you'll spend almost 11k in parts on a V6 and be at the end of what you can do while we could go further still. As far as handling goes the V6 1LE is a beast of a track car and does have the advantage over a none 1LE I4 but not by a huge margin and from all I've seen you could surpass the stock 1LE option for less money with aftermarket suspension upgrades and the new I4 1LE isn't the same as the other two 1LE versions by far it's missing so much no MRC option and a few other things so not worth whatever obscene number GM will place on it. At the end of the day the V6 will sound better then the I4 i mean we basically sound like farm tractors which is hilarious.
Are you saying just simple bolt ones + a tune? The V6 aftermarket is pretty sad in all honesty. How much power can you easily get out of the 4? Whats the turbo response like? I was surprised at the size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I posted a bit on your other thread, but I will add this. I could have bought any offering of the Camaro with the exception of the ZL1. Ive drove all 3 cars I4, V6, and V8 on multiple occasions, and still do. (I work at the dealer) At the end of a long personal debate with myself, it really came down to cost of ownership and overall performance capability. I drive 100 miles a day, and plan on running the car well past 100k miles. The V8 is awesome, fast, and everyone knows what you have. I ruled it out based on a couple factors. First, maintenance. 10qt oil changes, frequent expensive non rotatable tire changes, MPG, insurance, ect..Also, it may sound crazy, but its almost too much for the street to really open up through multiple gears. So no V8...The v6 sounds pretty good with NPP if you like the more exotic type sound. It does not have that BIG, throaty sound though some might lead on too. Notably more nimble than the V8, and decently quick . BUT, I knew in the long run, I would never be happy with a mid-to low 13 second car. Aftermarket upgrades are bleak at best, and the only real option to get into low 12's would be forced induction at 10k+-..May as well bought the V8 at that point, so the v6 was out in my book. That left the Turbo I4. Incredibly nimble with a near 50/50 weight distribution. Almost ALL of the nice FE3/FE4 suspension stuff is a direct swap for even more handling. Gas mileage is incredible for the amount of performance. It's forced induction from the factory, and makes it nice and easy to put big power to the wheels, for a minimal cost. AND, the community here is very knowledgeable, and very quick to help another I4 guy out when needed.

I know, kinda long post, but these are just some of the highlights from my thought process when making my decision. There really are a ton more reasons I chose the I4..
Thanks for the reply, good to hear from you again! What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Wouldn’t usually ask this question, but I just cried paying $4 a gallon at the pump today. Also, how is the turbo lag? Is it fun? Does the 2.0 have enough power to put around below the turbo kicks in, or is it one of those engines you kinda need to ring out. The V6 sounds pretty insane, is the 2.0 really that bad sounding? All the I4 turbo guys around here actually sound pretty decent. I mean it’s not muscle car or anything, but it screams tuner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
I come from the import scene dateing back to the mid 90's. RX-7 's were my thing. I love small, lightweight turbo charged cars and the ability to mod them so easily. My choice was a no brainer. I also got a screaming deal on it.
What’s the attitude you get from the tuner crowd? Do they accept an american car because it’s got a ‘tuner’ style engine in it? Kind of like a muscle car with the heart of a tuner? I’m really deep in tuner crowd, can’t see myself getting along with muscle crowd because I’m all about finessing the car through corners. I always focus on my technique. These muscle car guys i’ve hung out with are so obsessed with power, and it gets old really quick. And their attitude towards us japanese cars as ‘ricers’ is super irritating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
Honestly always wanted a turbo car, I seen the pre-release brochure of the 6th gens and thought it would be crazy to have a 4 banger Camaro. Growing up down south you see crazy fast 4 cylinder turbo cars and loved to see them take down v8s. Figured the LTG Camaro would be a great platform once the aftermarket grew
Aftermarket is pretty decent already, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriveastickmaro View Post
I drove all three, I4, V6 and V8. At the time, I was driving just under 100 miles a day, in stop and go traffic. So as much as I wanted the V8, the power would have essentially been useless to me. The MPG part also played a HUGE factor. The V6 really just didnt appeal to me, since mods arent as great for it. I came from a 343HP 2015 WRX, and a Boosted 2013 FRS before that, so I am much more comfortable with turbos. After researching, building the I4 was the best option for me, as I can get to around 350HP for a fraction of the price. The dealer was also willing to give me a crazy deal since the car had never even been test driven (its a manual), which they did'nt want to budge much on the other models.
What’s your mileage? What’s the turbo lag like since you have experience with turbos? How much does it take to reach those power numbers? If you hit 350 HP you’d probably smoke a V6 b/c less weight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
The V6 is only worth your time if you get NPP, so that's a total option cost of $2,395.
I figured that for $2,395, I could make a 2.0T MUCH faster than the V6/
Granted, in the real world, the V6 would cost less in fuel (AFM and only requiring 87 octane go a long way on the highway), it just made more sense to me.

Plus, the "that's a four-cylinder???" comments almost never get old.
Most people haven’t really experienced a new turbo 4 which has been setup for performance. The first time I went in a turbo 4 camaro I didn’t believe it. Honestly, it was faster than my supercharged V6... The damn thing pulls hard. They don’t sound relatively bad if you come from the I4 crowd. there’s plenty of worse sounding turbo 4’s out there imo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I'm in the same debate as you... my budget and common sense leads me towards the I4 but my heart wants the sou d of the V6... and here in Québec, the price difference between 91 and 87 gas is like 0.20$ a liter. Considering I plan on making 20 000 km a year with the car (13k miles), it makes a difference of 300$ a year in gas... so the extra 1700$ for the V6 would get covered only after 6-7 years... so basically in term of gas price, they are the same.

Decisions decisions....
Tell me about it! I think the V6 sounds like a very expensive exotic car. the only thing is that small aftermarket would make me claustrophobic... Plus, all the tuning options for this 2.0 make it a very fun car to personalize once the warranty expires. The only downside i see is the sound :(
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 AM   #19
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Also, how does the 2.0 Rev out? Does it kind of choke around redline without any breathing modifications? I know the V6 basically kicks ass at redline, but I’ve heard the turbo is more of a mid-range engine. Of course, i’m never right so... that’s why i’m here!!!!
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:15 AM   #20
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
Also, how does the 2.0 Rev out? Does it kind of choke around redline without any breathing modifications? I know the V6 basically kicks ass at redline, but I’ve heard the turbo is more of a mid-range engine. Of course, i’m never right so... that’s why i’m here!!!!
Power starts to dip past 6k RPM, ideal shift point with a manual is ~6200. The 8-speed auto shifts earlier, but that's because it's taking advantage of its closer ratios. It mostly chokes at the top end because of the turbo, the stock turbo is a bit on the small side for the power output, which explains the good mid-range pull of the engine. Upgrading the turbo would increase top-end power at the sacrifice of low-end response. If I were to upgrade the turbo, I'd go with an upgraded stock frame turbo with better turbine/compressor wheels and ported housings, which would theoretically improve both low-end response (less inertia) and top-end power (more maximum flow).

The V6 is a top-end screamer, for sure; however, that's the only place in the powerband where the V6 is faster than the 2.0T. For that, you may as well bolt-ons and tune the 2.0T for the same cost as upgrading to the V6 ($1500) and end up quicker than the V6 everywhere in the powerband.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #21
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i drove an I-4 ,and it made good power.went with the 6 because i was a little leery of the extra parts(turbo/intercooler) to repair or replace plus didnt want to be locked into buying 93 octane.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #22
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
I dont want to start a RS package war or anything, but...
{In my opinion}... I got a "functional", better looking grill, OE take-off wheels and tires, and a lighter weight, better looking/functioning spoiler, for HALF the price of the RS package. With the added benefit of no half/LED halo thingy's under the headlights...
Once again, there are soooo many way's to approach these cars, it will make your head spin!!!
Hell yeah! Granted, I got an RS because I wanted the lighting more than anything, but I like the setup you have with the temperature/color of your headlights/side mirkers matching the LED DRL. What bulbs are you using in your hedlights?

And I always thought the HD package should've come with the SEMA grille you have, instead of the slightly-vented one it has.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #23
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Simple bolt-ons and tune and your I4 surpasses the V6 bolt-on and tune aftermarket performance wise easily. It's not til you add Nitrous or FI to a V6 that it beats us and again they run into the same problems we do with fuel and internal engine parts. The LGX internals are nothing close to as durable as the 5th gens LLT or LFX internals and are basically almost the same as the I4s Dustya on here can attest to the shortcomings and bottlenecks although his 460whp Supercharged V6 is a beast. Not sure what his final cost was probably half what he spent buying his car.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I also drove all three engine options as the 6th gen cars started rolling in here in my area. I had to wait about 8 months or so from when I first test drove a v8 until when the first couple i4 cars showed up.

I have previously owned a 5th gen v8 (ls3), and a couple v6 cars, so I knew how both performed.

The 6th gen v8 was damned impressive. The v6 didn't do anything for me, and as mentioned above, seemed dead and flat to me, up until it finally got into redline. Not my bag. The i4 felt much more impressive than the v6 to me, I don't like waiting to get into the powerband, I want it now. You may be saying to yourself, "Yeah, but what about turbo lag"... Well, it doesn't really seem that noticeable to me, especially with an automatic. And yes, I drove both a manual and automatic i4 car before purchasing an auto. The turbo lag was much more noticeable with the manual, but I wasn't "no lift shifting it" either. Having had multiple clutch issues which trying to race with my 5th gen SS, I opted to go with the Auto and I don't regret it, especially as my track event of choice is drag racing, and it felt better than the manual to me.

I don't even know that a down pipe is needed, but I had one at the time. With nothing more than a down pipe, a tune, and the same ghetto drag wheels I used to run on the rear of my v8, the i4 is as quick at the track as my old 5th gen V8 was, and about a second and a half faster than my old 5th gen v6 was.

For the v6 to even be able to match the performance potential of the i4, you need to buy a supercharger, thats big $$ on top of already paying extra for the v6 itself.

Enough rambling, why did I choose the i4? The SS was technically "affordable" to me, but it wasn't going to allow me to tinker really. The v6, no contest, it was the wrong choice for me. The i4 would allow me to tinker, and have fun, and its modded potential could rival most v8 cars, where as the v6, never would, without spending a butt load of $ on it.

I got the RS package, only because it was the first i4 automatic to show up in the valley. I could live without it, but I was tired of waiting for more 4 cyl cars to show up, as I had been waiting 8 months after test driving the v8, and two had finally showed up, a bare bones manual i4, and the RS automatic. I bought the automatic.

AND, I even traded my 5th gen SS in and don't feel bad about it.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #25
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
Thanks for the reply, good to hear from you again! What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Wouldn’t usually ask this question, but I just cried paying $4 a gallon at the pump today. Also, how is the turbo lag? Is it fun? Does the 2.0 have enough power to put around below the turbo kicks in, or is it one of those engines you kinda need to ring out. The V6 sounds pretty insane, is the 2.0 really that bad sounding? All the I4 turbo guys around here actually sound pretty decent. I mean it’s not muscle car or anything, but it screams tuner.
I am NOT a good person to ask about MPG, hehe.. I believe in a more "extreme" break in procedure, that won't be finished until my 3rd oil change @ 3000 miles. (currently at 2800ish) Although I am averaging 21.5 amazingly. I fully expect to average 35+ after break in. As far as turbo lag. I don't notice it at all. I know there seems to be alot of talk about it, but I just don't feel or see it. Maybe below 2k rpm's..Maybe..Putting around town is WAAYY better than the v6. The I4 generates HUGE amount's of torque very early. Here are some dyno graphs posted of before and after tuning. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=59
(Hope you dont mind Evil-Bee-NH )
You can see even in stock form, your making 270+ ft lbs of torque by 3k rpm's. You have to wrap the v6 up pretty high before power comes in. Is it fun?? You asked.. HELLS YES. I find it every bit as enjoyable as the LS1 Z28 I sold to buy this. Don't miss it one bit. Passing gear power is amazing, Boost launching is insain, and just flat footing the gas from a dead stop will light the 20's up around 3k in first if you arnt careful!! The sound of these cars is very subjective. It's really in the eye of the beholder. Some guys just LOVE it. Other guys HATE it. Soo , I'm no help on that subject. There are a lot of exhaust options and possibilities though, so Im sure even the toughest critic's such as myself, will find a combination that suits our needs!
Also I'm with Jason@JacFab the A8 is a MUST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
What bulbs are you using in your hedlights?
Optilux by Hella. I realized I skipped this information in my build thread, and updated it. Thank you

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
I am NOT a good person to ask about MPG, hehe.. I believe in a more "extreme" break in procedure, that won't be finished until my 3rd oil change @ 3000 miles. (currently at 2800ish) Although I am averaging 21.5 amazingly. I fully expect to average 35+ after break in. As far as turbo lag. I don't notice it at all. I know there seems to be alot of talk about it, but I just don't feel or see it. Maybe below 2k rpm's..Maybe..Putting around town is WAAYY better than the v6. The I4 generates HUGE amount's of torque very early. Here are some dyno graphs posted of before and after tuning. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=59
(Hope you dont mind Evil-Bee-NH )
You can see even in stock form, your making 270+ ft lbs of torque by 3k rpm's. You have to wrap the v6 up pretty high before power comes in. Is it fun?? You asked.. HELLS YES. I find it every bit as enjoyable as the LS1 Z28 I sold to buy this. Don't miss it one bit. Passing gear power is amazing, Boost launching is insain, and just flat footing the gas from a dead stop will light the 20's up around 3k in first if you arnt careful!! The sound of these cars is very subjective. It's really in the eye of the beholder. Some guys just LOVE it. Other guys HATE it. Soo , I'm no help on that subject. There are a lot of exhaust options and possibilities though, so Im sure even the toughest critic's such as myself, will find a combination that suits our needs!
Also I'm with Jason@JacFab the A8 is a MUST!!

Optilux by Hella. I realized I skipped this information in my build thread, and updated it. Thank you
All good coop I try to be as transparent as possible I may run on another dyno in town soon to put the naysayers to rest eventhough I think that's pointless as we've now had 3 or 4 others with similar bolt-ons and tune run the same numbers within 4 or 5whp. I wholeheartedly agree with your opinions on the car and this turbo lag business running around is because not everyone does a hard break-in like the peoples in the know.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
FreBMX

Drives: 2017 Camaro rs
I really wanted the V6 or V8, soundwise, but displacement tax here is so crazy (even on the 3.6) that no amount of sound can justify that cost. So I settled for the I4 Manual and I must say that this engine really amazes me, it feels at least as fast as the V6 I rented last year, and I‘ve gotten used to the sound, though looking to enhance this a bit in the naar future.
FreBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #28
tiberius183

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Completely on impulse. I was driving past a Chevy dealership, thought "hmm...always wanted to test drive a Camaro..." Pretty sure you can figure out what happened from there...

What made me choose the 2.0 specifically was, for one, gas mileage; this will be my daily driver, and I have a 30 mile round-trip commute to work, so that was pretty important. Also, price; even if gas mileage wasn't an issue, the V6 and V8 were still out of my price range.
tiberius183 is offline   Reply With Quote