Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #43
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mov View Post
My buddy is a Fairfax County Lt. and told me they are not legal. I really want them for car shows but, I really want them for everyday use as well. Thanks!
Had to look that up, since I have dash cams in a couple cars and intend to drive one or the other through Virginia. Seems like it's not a black & white issue....

Are dash cams legal in Virginia?
There are currently no federal regulations prohibiting dashboard cameras, but some state laws affect their use. In Virginia, dash cams are legal as long as they are mounted in a way that does not obstruct the driver’s view of the highway through the windshield, front side windows, or rear window. Though some states prohibit recording others without their knowledge, Virginia law allows recording in areas to which the public has access or where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.[5] As dash cams are still relatively new technology, more regulations may be placed on them in the future.

Here's the website where I got that.... http://www.allenandallen.com/blog/wh...-virginia.html
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:25 AM   #44
Camarofan93

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS & 2018 ZL1 1LE
Is hard wiring difficult? I’m shopping for a dash cam, I want to track speed, and be able to record sound and have the option to have it continue recording after being shut off.
Camarofan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:34 AM   #45
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Had to look that up, since I have dash cams in a couple cars and intend to drive one or the other through Virginia. Seems like it's not a black & white issue....

Are dash cams legal in Virginia?

There are currently no federal regulations prohibiting dashboard cameras, but some state laws affect their use. In Virginia, dash cams are legal as long as they are mounted in a way that does not obstruct the driver’s view of the highway through the windshield, front side windows, or rear window. Though some states prohibit recording others without their knowledge, Virginia law allows recording in areas to which the public has access or where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.[5] As dash cams are still relatively new technology, more regulations may be placed on them in the future.

Here's the website where I got that.... http://www.allenandallen.com/blog/wh...-virginia.html

It’s pretty black and white for VA.

There’s no reasonable expectation of privacy once you walk out the front door of your house. Operating a vehicle on any public road equates to no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Dash cams, if permanently mounted, are out of the driver’s line of sight anyway, so no issue there. I don’t even see mine. I have to remind myself every now and again to look for the blinking record light to ensure it’s properly recording.

To cover yourself in the vast majority of states and D.C., I would strongly encourage most people to disable audio recording. The laws, regulations and statutes around recording audio, especially when not given explicit permission, can vary wildly, sometimes even by county and city, let alone district and state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #46
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
A couple of years ago I was riding with friend on i95 in his car with a dash cam mounted under the rear view mirror. A State Trooper came up beside us, then got behind us and pulled us over. He pointed to the dash cam and said radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. Friend explained it was not a radar detector and he let him go. I’d like dashcam but nervous about it being confused for being a radar detector. I need something very stealth...
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:08 AM   #47
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
A couple of years ago I was riding with friend on i95 in his car with a dash cam mounted under the rear view mirror. A State Trooper came up beside us, then got behind us and pulled us over. He pointed to the dash cam and said radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. Friend explained it was not a radar detector and he let him go. I’d like dashcam but nervous about it being confused for being a radar detector. I need something very stealth...

You won’t even see it. In my opinion dash cams should be out of sight and out of mind. If it didn’t make a start up sound when starting the car and shutdown sound when exiting I would completely forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 AM   #48
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I am looking at the BlackVue DR750S-2CH to add to my convertible as well as my daily driver Traverse.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #49
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
I am looking at the BlackVue DR750S-2CH to add to my convertible as well as my daily driver Traverse.
I have a Thinkware F750 2CH. My front camera is pretty much invisible from outside the car. The rear....not so much
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #50
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
I have a Thinkware F750 2CH. My front camera is pretty much invisible from outside the car. The rear....not so much
Yep your rear solution looks to be the best yet, I remember seeing that last year.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #51
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
These last two units (Thinkware and Blackvue) look to be really nice.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #52
lenny833

Drives: 2018 camaro LT1
Any one have any info on the Garmin dash cams?
lenny833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #53
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Thinkware F750 front and rear on my Camaro....front only on my wife's Volt. Both hard wired in to enable parked monitoring system.
Recently replaced my Thinkware F750 with a Thinkware Q800 Pro. Nice upgrade! My F750 got damaged so I put in the Q800 P. The rear camera for the F750 does not work with the Q800 P, so I bought the correct rear camera and put my old F750 rear camera in my wife’s Volt. Since the wiring had already been run for my original F750, all I had to do was clip the new front and rear units in place. Running cable from front camera to rear window for my wife’s car was pretty simple.