Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
BarryNYC

Drives: 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkurek View Post
Surprisingly my Trailblazer has a similiar problem a few weeks ago. I was freaking out.....and upon some digging, found that a throttle body cleaning could help. I have been VERY skeptical that cleaning a little buildup in the TB could make that big of a difference, but I gave it a shot. Pulled it off, cleaned it (and the throttle blade) COMPLETELY of gunk.....which wasnt bad.....but it worked. 100% better, idles smooth as silk.

Also, in your original post...you said you returned the car back to stock. Except the tune. And except the stock cats. Soooo...it wasnt really returned to stock Just saying
Yes! I'm actually going to have that cleaned it tomorrow. Logically, it would makes sense that random cylinders would misfire if the throttle body was the issue. In my case it's always cylinder number two. This leads me to believe that something explicit to cylinder 2 must be failing.

I'm sorry! I forgot to mention that I borrowed my friend's stock cats to revert the car back to normal. It was 100% stock.
BarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
BarryNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane2010 View Post
I would try and first switch the #2 coil with number 5and switch the plug with#6 to see if it follows and if it was an injector you would have another code
I completely changed the coil pack for cylinder 2. I bought it from GM. The coil pack can't be the issue. Tell me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, you are suggesting that the wires maybe the cause of the issue.... I never thought of the wires being the issue. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help! Cheers
Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #17
BarryNYC

Update 03/10/2016

Throttle body was cleaned by GM. The car ran the same way as it did before. I decided to dump in"STP full fuel system cleaner" into my gas tank 100 miles after the cleaning. The car's performance came back! However, at idle, the car is still running rough and the engine is shaking a lot (not as much as before). The car is also running rich. At this point. I know that the problem is related to the fuel system.

I have purchased a new fuel injector for cylinder 2 (misfiring cylinder). Before I switch the old with the new, I'm going to get the injectors cleaned out.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #18
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryNYC View Post
I completely changed the coil pack for cylinder 2. I bought it from GM. The coil pack can't be the issue. Tell me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, you are suggesting that the wires maybe the cause of the issue.... I never thought of the wires being the issue. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help! Cheers
WIRES!!! Had this happen in my Subaru Legacy before I sold it and bought the Camaro. The car ran extremely rough and almost shut off. Put some water and dish soap in a spray bottle and spray the wires down with the car running and you should see where the insulation is cracked because it will arc.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
BarryNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
WIRES!!! Had this happen in my Subaru Legacy before I sold it and bought the Camaro. The car ran extremely rough and almost shut off. Put some water and dish soap in a spray bottle and spray the wires down with the car running and you should see where the insulation is cracked because it will arc.
I'm going to do that right now. Will the wire literally arc? Btw I hope we're both talking about the wires that run to the coil packs. Right?? Cheers
Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #20
arkentect

Quote:
I'm going to do that right now. Will the wire literally arc? Btw I hope we're both talking about the wires that run to the coil packs. Right?? Cheers
All the spark plug wires. Since your getting a cylinder misfire I would start at the boots and work your way back to the coils. It should "literally" arc if the wires are close enough to something which I'm guessing they are. Another way to check is to start the motor wet down all the spark plug wires with just water and run a multimeter along with one side grounded out and it will arc to multimeter. I'll bet its arcing off one of the header tubes while running
Old 03-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
BarryNYC

Quote:
All the spark plug wires. Since your getting a cylinder misfire I would start at the boots and work your way back to the coils. It should "literally" arc if the wires are close enough to something which I'm guessing they are. Another way to check is to start the motor wet down all the spark plug wires with just water and run a multimeter along with one side grounded out and it will arc to multimeter. I'll bet its arcing off one of the header tubes while running
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no mechanic here) but as far as I know, There are no spark plug wires on this engine. With the LFX, the spark plugs directly attaches into the coil pack. The only wires I saw were the ones that plug into the coil packs themselves.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no mechanic here) but as far as I know, There are no spark plug wires on this engine. With the LFX, the spark plugs directly attaches into the coil pack. The only wires I saw were the ones that plug into the coil packs themselves.
You are correct.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
arkentect

Quote:
oh damn my bad I thought you had an LS3. If thats the case I'm not really sure how to check those bc they are all in seperate plastic sleeves leading up to the coils correct?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #24
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
LFX motor doesn't have spark plug wires . It's coil on plug .
Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #25
arkentect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
LFX motor doesn't have spark plug wires . It's coil on plug .
Yeah my mistake, thought he had the Ls3
Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #26
BarryNYC

UPDATE 03/23/2016

Fuel Injector for Cylinder 2 has been replaced. Car is still running rough. Error codes P16A1 and P0300 have appeared on several occasions. I have come to a conclusion. My ECM has failed. I will have it reflashed by GM tomorrow and update everybody on it. If the reflash does not work out, I will probably need a new ECM.

For those of you wondering why the reflash wasn't the first thing I tried doing before chasing parts, the three dealers I went to all refused to reflash my ECM even though I offered to pay. The reason was; "Your car is modified. We do not work on modified cars." I didn't even bother arguing. My local mechanics obviously don't have the tools to reflash the ECM. I finally found a dealer that is willing to do it.

Tags
cats, engine, injectors, issues, problems