Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Looks like 4G is on the way!

A nice write up on Yahoo about GM and AT&T coming together to make our rides huge smart phones on wheels starting in 2014 here's the link:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...153717190.html

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Hasn't Chrysler had this for awhile now??
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
I'm not sure but Verizon/OnStar and GM must have a contract. So I'm assuming when they could upgrade they will and AT&T must have been the best option.

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
I am for anything entertainment wise for the passengers, the driver should be concentrated on the road.
What ever happened to just driving and listening to the motor? Love to do that.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
if there changing to att is that going to effect the rest of us who use the onstar hands free phone if i remember correctly those of you who may have verizon you can set up your minutes through that be cause onstar was contracted with verizon. i wonder if that will change to att now.
upgrades kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ deleted cats, corsa exhaust, hurst short throw shifter stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears ecs kit blower, meth injection, upgraded axles, drive shaft, McLeod rxt clutch, fully forged 416ci stroker all installed and dyno tuned by slowhawk performance in bridgewater ma.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
AT&T sucks out here by me, I have zero signal anywhere near my home or office, and I actually switched to Verizon after 15 odd years with AT&T (when it was pac-tel, cingular, and whatever else they called themselves).

So this will never be an option for me..

hell my house alarm company couldn't even get a cell signal thru AT&T (what they opt to use) to the alarm system even after they installed an antenna 10 feet above the roof of my house.. Ended up forcing me to get an land line just for the alarm connection, haven't had a land line in 10 years.

--

as for why GM went with AT&T, I can venture to guess it is because AT&T has a GSM system where verizon has a CDMA system.

The CDMA system is not easily transferable, with GSM you pull the SIM card and pop into another device (unlocked if not the same company) and all your cellular data follows you.

With CDMA the progamming is internal to the device, making it nearly impossible to swap a device without the core company (in this case Verizon) being involved and re-programming your account to the new device.

I manage 250+ plus Verizon phones for my company and their technology is a royal PITA.. we used to have AT&T but as I said signal issues around here and the company switched..

Used to be someone broke their phone, they came to me, I took their sim popped in into a new phone 30 seconds and they were on their way, same with upgrades..

Now it takes several hours and phone calls to Verizon to swap over all the users info to a new device. PAIN IN THE ASS.

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Hasn't Chrysler had this for awhile now??
Chrysler tried a couple different things, none of them have been a huge success..

they tried Verizon Broadband a few years back, basically like those hotspot devices, making your car a mobile hotspot, but the system was 3g and failed horribly when the vehicle was moving, I do it with a 4g hotspot and stream netflix for my kid on my ipad and it's mostly flawless, but the Chrysler built in system was horrible, and pricey.. $50+ a month for it and it ONLY worked in the car, unlike the mobile jetpacks you can take anywhere.

they also tried streaming video thru XM/Sirius, but XM/Sirius doesn't have the content that Netflix and others do, and it was also a horrible fail, plus again over priced, like $500 a year aside from your normal XM music fees.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
AT&T sucks out here by me, I have zero signal anywhere near my home or office, and I actually switched to Verizon after 15 odd years with AT&T (when it was pac-tel, cingular, and whatever else they called themselves).

So this will never be an option for me..

hell my house alarm company couldn't even get a cell signal thru AT&T (what they opt to use) to the alarm system even after they installed an antenna 10 feet above the roof of my house.. Ended up forcing me to get an land line just for the alarm connection, haven't had a land line in 10 years.

--

as for why GM went with AT&T, I can venture to guess it is because AT&T has a GSM system where verizon has a CDMA system.

The CDMA system is not easily transferable, with GSM you pull the SIM card and pop into another device (unlocked if not the same company) and all your cellular data follows you.

With CDMA the progamming is internal to the device, making it nearly impossible to swap a device without the core company (in this case Verizon) being involved and re-programming your account to the new device.

I manage 250+ plus Verizon phones for my company and their technology is a royal PITA.. we used to have AT&T but as I said signal issues around here and the company switched..

Used to be someone broke their phone, they came to me, I took their sim popped in into a new phone 30 seconds and they were on their way, same with upgrades..

Now it takes several hours and phone calls to Verizon to swap over all the users info to a new device. PAIN IN THE ASS.

--------

Chrysler tried a couple different things, none of them have been a huge success..

they tried Verizon Broadband a few years back, basically like those hotspot devices, making your car a mobile hotspot, but the system was 3g and failed horribly when the vehicle was moving, I do it with a 4g hotspot and stream netflix for my kid on my ipad and it's mostly flawless, but the Chrysler built in system was horrible, and pricey.. $50+ a month for it and it ONLY worked in the car, unlike the mobile jetpacks you can take anywhere.

they also tried streaming video thru XM/Sirius, but XM/Sirius doesn't have the content that Netflix and others do, and it was also a horrible fail, plus again over priced, like $500 a year aside from your normal XM music fees.
you said it all good sir. Concur
Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Interesting...Could make for an excellent GPS/SatNav experience. Not to mention everything else.

I know from talking to friends in various parts of the country that AT&T service can be spotty in some areas. Around my neck of the woods, I've yet to find a spot where I can't get a connection....so I'm happy with this!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
AT&T is the best by far here in the north east. This makes me happy
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote