#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #1
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Caprice PPV 2014 Caprice PPV
Holden 2000 Engineer Review

They had a bunch of recommendations for improving all the Holden cars. I've posted some of them previously. A few after market companies created products based on Holden's unused suggestions. Whiteline once made a rear STB for the Statesman/Commodore, but it's been out of stock for years. This brace preloaded tension outwardly at the base of the wheel well inside the trunk.
That area corresponds to where the upper mount of the rear spring and shock is and preloading that part of the body was Holdens intention. Not magic but a
similar effect to the K-frame brace on the front sub frame. Measure the distance left to right at the base of the wheel well in the trunk and cut a piece of metal to slightly larger. A small sledgehammer will easily wedge the brace in, even a piece of 2" exhaust pipe works. By stabilizing that area, you get a noticeable feeling of rigidity and Holden wrote it did good things for braking and accelerating. Stability, not magic.
Scotavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Your post is pretty much over my head. But I will tell you, I was very surprised at how stiff my non MRC 14 SS is. I would say it is stiffer than my ZL1 is in sport mode.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I will tell you, I was very surprised at how stiff my non MRC 14 SS is. I would say it is stiffer than my ZL1 is in sport mode.
You seem to be writing about the suspension while I've been writing about chassis rigidity and how Holden engineers tried to convince management to address the places where the chassis was more flexible that it should have been. Fixed rate shock valving vs adjustable valving doesn't change the spring rate of the unibody, which is always less than ideal.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
Scotavo
Account Suspended

This was moved to this section for not being about the Camaro5 when the Holden Zeta is the platform of this car. All the 2000 engineering report issues were inherited in 2010 Camaro and remain worth knowing about and for those who want to mitigate them I'd think my threads would be welcome. If not, blame the moderator.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I told ya your post was over my head. I do know though that Holden reworked the front chassis and geometry and lightened with a bunch of aluminum bits. And referred to the new chassis as the Zeta 2 update.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:13 AM   #6
Scotavo
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=SlingShot;11161633And referred to the new chassis as the Zeta 2 update.[/QUOTE]

Just like calling the 2011 CTS chassis Alpha, meaningless nomenclature. They are all exactly the same foundation as the Holden Commodore, with all the same liabilities. The only real difference is in the wheelbase, which changes the weight distribution. In 2004 the GTO got a 109" wheelbase, so a 55/45 WD. Kinda nose heavy you know. In 2010 the Camaro5 got a 112" WB and those aluminum bits you mentioned and so a 52/48 WD. The Camaro6 in 2016 went backwards to a 110" WB which goofed up the WD back to 55/45, just like the 04 GTO. Back in Australia the Holden Caprice Royale got a almost 119" WB which gave it a perfect 50/50 WD front to rear and side to side. Both the G8 and SS got a compromised 115" which might explain why both were market failures with a less than optimal WD. Though Pontiac's death and Chevy's foolish pricing and advertising helped insure it's fate and of course Holden's death. Why didn't GM bring the tooling for the dead Holden models to N. America? Oh right, GM is consistent.