Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
14ZL1M6

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Coupe A6 & 2002 ZO6
CAI

Hey everyone!

I just purchased 2014 ZL1 M6 Convertible (Ashen Gray) and the first upgrade I am looking at is to install a CAI. What is everyone out there running? Which one adds the most rwhp? I was looking at the Roto-Fab w/ the Big Gulp possibly. Also, will I notice more of a whine from my supercharger?

Thanks!

Last edited by 14ZL1M6; 04-30-2014 at 10:50 AM.
14ZL1M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Botally Tone

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray ZL1
Most people on here run the Roto-Fab with good results. I have also seen good things about the CAI Inc. intake. I think it's hard to argue which one actually creates more power but you should see 20-25 with either one. The big gulp will probably help add a few more horses. If you combine the CAI with a vmax throttle body you could be seeing around a 40 hp gain at the wheels from what I've read. And yes you will definitely notice more whine from the supercharger. These are just my thoughts and observations anyone else feel free to chime in.
Botally Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
Dr.Spike

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 (IOM)
I agree with Botally Tone. You can't go wrong with either the CAI, Inc or the Roto-Fab. It seems they are about equal in HP in doing my research before purchase.

They will both allow you to hear the supercharger whine.

The VMAX ported throttle body with either CAI will give you nice HP gains, at least that is what I found doing my research.

I went with the Cold Air Inductions, Inc. CAI with the VMAX ported throttle body. Since the HP gains appeared to be about the same, I picked the CAI, Inc. CAI for the looks and I had a CAI, Inc. on my SS.
Dr.Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
"Welcome to the party, pal."
-John McClane
Old 04-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Congrats OP. Welcome to camaro5 and making your first post a topic dear to all our hearts. You'll see what I mean as time goes on. BTW, I am running a CAI, Inc. intake. As stated Roto-fab is also excellent and K&N makes one with good gains, but is a little pricey in carbon fiber. These 3 are the only ones I'm aware of for the ZL1 not requiring a tune.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
What they said and you can use the Big Gulp with the K&N, that's my setup. With the RotoFab and the K&N you will hear the whine. Not sure on the CAI Inc one about hearing it.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Dr.Spike

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 (IOM)
I have the CAI, Inc. CAI and you can certainly hear the supercharger whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
What they said and you can use the Big Gulp with the K&N, that's my setup. With the RotoFab and the K&N you will hear the whine. Not sure on the CAI Inc one about hearing it.
Dr.Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
14ZL1M6

Thanks everyone for the input...I think I'm going to order the Roto-Fab, Big Gulp and w/w relocation kit here tonight or tomorrow from Phasetek. They have a 5% coupon, which seems to be the cheapest I can find it.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
Love my roto fab. I don't think any cai you go with will be a bad choice
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
14ZL1M6

I just hung up the phone with Tyler @ JDP, who I have seen in numerous threads on here with a lot of positive feedback. Tyler was great to speak with and took the time to answer all of my questions....I will definitely be doing business with him again in the near future! I ordered the entire Roto-Fab set-up with the CAI, Big Gulp & W/W Relocation at a awesome package price! I can't wait to get it and install it!!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ZL1M6 View Post
I just hung up the phone with Tyler @ JDP, who I have seen in numerous threads on here with a lot of positive feedback. Tyler was great to speak with and took the time to answer all of my questions....I will definitely be doing business with him again in the near future! I ordered the entire Roto-Fab set-up with the CAI, Big Gulp & W/W Relocation at a awesome package price! I can't wait to get it and install it!!
Thanks for the order and kind words Justin. Glad we could help you out.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
TomT

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ZL1M6 View Post
Hey everyone!

I just purchased 2014 ZL1 M6 Convertible (Ashen Gray) and the first upgrade I am looking at is to install a CAI. What is everyone out there running? Which one adds the most rwhp? I was looking at the Roto-Fab w/ the Big Gulp possibly. Also, will I notice more of a whine from my supercharger?

Thanks!
I put on a CAI, improved throttle response nice fit and finish. Easy to install and very cool sound, some blower whine which is fine by me.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Spike View Post
I went with the Cold Air Inductions, Inc. CAI with the VMAX ported throttle body. Since the HP gains appeared to be about the same, I picked the CAI, Inc. CAI for the looks and I had a CAI, Inc. on my SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
BTW, I am running a CAI, Inc. intake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Spike View Post
I have the CAI, Inc. CAI and you can certainly hear the supercharger whine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
I put on a CAI, improved throttle response nice fit and finish. Easy to install and very cool sound, some blower whine which is fine by me.
Thank you all so much for your support, we really appreciate it. We were at a show a few weekends ago and got to meet some ZL1 owners with our CAI installed which was pretty cool. Funny thing is they all say the same thing to us when we first walk up, which is that they love being able to finally hear their Supercharger Whine!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote