Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-30-2015, 05:01 AM   #1
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Give me your tips on driving in the snow

I'm at work and noticed its starting to snow! This will be my first drive in the 1LE during snow. This is my first drive with a V8 and stick give me your tips! I mean other than the take it slow which I did this morning since there was ice all over the road.

I have Scorpion winter tires on and live about 4 miles away.

xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:12 AM   #2
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
go to lowes, get 4 40 pound salt bags and put 2 over each tire in the trunk.. the salt bags have very thick plastic and last a long time..

take off in second gear and just take it slow and easy...

Remember in snow/ice the problem is almost always STOPPING, not starting... when your tires lock up when you are breaking you lose control.. the ABS will help immensely...

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Brand new at driving in the snow, and driving a stick, and driving a V8? Call a cab and wait for a thaw.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Brand new at driving in the snow, and driving a stick, and driving a V8? Call a cab and wait for a thaw.
lol was seriously thinking about it but I have to learn somehow.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 AM   #5
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy casey View Post
go to lowes, get 4 40 pound salt bags and put 2 over each tire in the trunk.. the salt bags have very thick plastic and last a long time..

take off in second gear and just take it slow and easy...

Remember in snow/ice the problem is almost always STOPPING, not starting... when your tires lock up when you are breaking you lose control.. the ABS will help immensely...
There is a Lowe's on the way home. Good idea!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #6
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
In the snow I drove my Charger for 3 years and my 1LT Camaro last year. I never had an issue with those but this being a v8 and stick does have me a little worried.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
lol was seriously thinking about it but I have to learn somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
In the snow I drove my Charger for 3 years and my 1LT Camaro last year. I never had an issue with those but this being a v8 and stick does have me a little worried.
Okay. Your initial post made it sound like you have no experience driving in snow, etc. You may want to take the time to cruise around the parking lot a little before hitting the street. Not only "take it slow" (which you obviously have heard) but in a wide open space, gun it a little so you'll know how the car reacts if you overdo it. Glad you got the snow tires.

Two key things when the roads are slick: leave the nannies ON (Stabilitrac and Traction Control) and DO NOT downshift when coming to a stop unless you're going very slow. The rear wheels could lose traction (essentially locking up) and actually cause you to lose control.

Good luck. Be safe. Practice - you'll be fine.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
DO NOT PUT SALT IN YOUR TRUNK.

Sand or pea gravel.

We had a 1971 Cougar that my stepdad put salt bags in the back.. One of the bags broke open.
Within a year, the car was a total loss, the entire back end rotted out.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
My Suggestion.... Don't Drive

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
2013 Orange SS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS A6
Park it and wait until all the salt has been washed off the roads.

1966 Chevelle Malibu, 355, 4-Speed
2013 Orange SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
DO NOT PUT SALT IN YOUR TRUNK.

Sand or pea gravel.

We had a 1971 Cougar that my stepdad put salt bags in the back.. One of the bags broke open.
Within a year, the car was a total loss, the entire back end rotted out.
OHHHHHHH CRAP, Great catch Paul.... I did not think about it breaking open and spilling in there... They sell the same weight bag in sand also... if it did you could vacuum the salt up but still, better safe than sorry

Orange SS, Some people do not have 2 cars and can not park there car just because it snows... Life must go on...

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Trade your camaro on a truck of you can only have one. I can't image having to drive my ZL1 all winter. That would suck. Good luck though. Their is a nut here that drives a vette in the winter. He hasn't crashed it yet. So it can be done.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Agree with all of the above plus, I would take off work an hour or so early in order to get home before all the other inexperienced people hit the road. Also Right before stopping, I would always put in the clutch or get in neutral to keep the back wheels braking the same as the front.
I drove a '69 Road Runner through 4 Nebraska winters without too much trouble, so it's possible. I did have studded snow tires on all four corners however!
Good Luck
Old 11-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
I've lived in Upstate NY all my life. The BEST TIP that I can give you is,get a winter vehicle. Not that you can't drive your Camaro in the winter but rather, other people can't drive in the snow. They have to learn how to get their " winter legs" each time it snows. I use a 2500 Chevy Express van ,5.3 w/3.73s that's on the road year round. It's heavy and with the 10 ply tires & the deep tread I have great traction.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote