Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #57
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post

Snow might seem a big deal to our friends in the South. But to be honest, 4WD and AWD are not magic carpets in the snow. I have seen many people in big tough 4x4 vehicles get stuck real good ins now. And the scary bit is that the 4WD gave them the confidence to get into really difficult situations.
The problem is that those people think they are invincible. The problem is people don't realize that 4x4 or AWD is only going to help you get going and wont help you stop.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #58
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
I drove the last two days in the snow. One without the sandbags and one with. Overall I was fine and didn't slide or anything. I actually passed up a Tundra that was struggling.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #59
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Curious. I grew up driving in deep snow in upstate NY, but that was before TC and ST. I recommended OP keep them ON. Why would you want to turn them OFF in snow? Wouldn't it help keep the car going straight - not spinning, etc.?
When TC is off, any difficulty that you have getting going from a full stop (or ease in spinning the tires once you are moving) is a direct warning that stopping and turning aren't going to be all that great either. Pay attention to this and be better prepared than most.

It hadn't occurred to me that mild uphills at very low rpm could have their own TC difficulties. Even TC is a relatively recent development within my own driving experience, and my own car's TC is not terribly effective anyway.

On downshifting on downgrades . . . generally not a good idea, as engine braking on closed throttle can and will partially lock the rear tires. If a 1950's car with an 8:1 flathead six and skinny tires can get the tail end a lot nervous on a downhill downshift in the snow, there's no doubt in my mind that an LS3-powered Camaro can. I'm not saying you're in for a seat-pucker moment or two on every downgrade, but after it spooks you the first time you'll be in for a more tense and tiring drive than necessary. Let the ABS sort things out without trying to confuse it by adding braking that ABS can't relax . . . at the wheels that you can't steer to help straighten the car out either.

A little extra weight in the trunk is OK, but don't overdo it. Too much weight there will make a suddenly loose tail situation worse by the extra sideways momentum that's now trying to spin the car out. Maybe that loose tail situation will be a little less likely, but you'll make up for that in a bad way by being even less prepared to catch it when it does happen.

I don't have enough experience driving cars that even have stability control to provide any useful comment about leaving it on in the snow vs turning it off. Or situations in all those cars that didn't have it where having it might have helped.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-02-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #60
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy casey View Post
go to lowes, get 4 40 pound salt bags and put 2 over each tire in the trunk.. the salt bags have very thick plastic and last a long time..

take off in second gear and just take it slow and easy...

Remember in snow/ice the problem is almost always STOPPING, not starting... when your tires lock up when you are breaking you lose control.. the ABS will help immensely...
Total bullshit. Below 50 or 40 you need a better tire which is why snows were invented.

Get snows or stay home.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #61
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
I've lived in Upstate NY all my life. The BEST TIP that I can give you is,get a winter vehicle. Not that you can't drive your Camaro in the winter but rather, other people can't drive in the snow. They have to learn how to get their " winter legs" each time it snows. I use a 2500 Chevy Express van ,5.3 w/3.73s that's on the road year round. It's heavy and with the 10 ply tires & the deep tread I have great traction.
I live in upstate NY and I have snows on my SS. I'm fine up to about 5" of snow. Anything more than that and most of us should not be on the road. My wife's Prius has snows and is fine until 5" of snow.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #62
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I'm more worried about other people sliding into Me, than me hitting someone else.
This /\

Best case for having a second vehicle.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #63
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Remove your summer only tires. Replace with all season tires and you'll do fine if you drive like an old guy.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #64
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Take everything slow. The days of powering around corners, through Mustangs and Chally's are over until the roads are dry.

Watch your stopping distance and speed. Watch how fast you approach corners and parking spots.

If your tires cant grip, all bets are off.

SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #65
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
dont
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #66
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabotAndHeat View Post
Take everything slow. The days of powering around corners, through Mustangs and Chally's are over until the roads are dry.

Watch your stopping distance and speed. Watch how fast you approach corners and parking spots.

If your tires cant grip, all bets are off.

This car needs a garage so bad. It looks cold and tired in this picture.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #67
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
Real talk once the snow hits I'm in the Range Rover no point to risk destroying your car,
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #68
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
mine just sits and spins when it snows. get a winter beater and peace of mind. These cars aren't meant to be driven in the snow...

or get snow tires and a front splitter. you can charge people for plowing.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #69
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoChrisB View Post
mine just sits and spins when it snows. get a winter beater and peace of mind. These cars aren't meant to be driven in the snow...

or get snow tires and a front splitter. you can charge people for plowing.
Ya just need to learn how the use that go pedal properly . These cars handle the snow very well .
Old 12-16-2015, 02:48 AM   #70
ThePopo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Learn to drift. If you cannot counter steer you will be unable to get out of emergency situations. Find a lot with fresh snow and practice. Better there than on the road when u hit patches of ice underneath the snow. I love drifting in winter. Best part of the season.
ThePopo is offline   Reply With Quote