Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Rin

Drives: 13' SS
Speeding Ticket

I was on a highway and did a quick acceleration to get around some people. I was going the speed limit before I accelerated and then went back down to the speed limit. Apparently in the 5 seconds I took to pass said cars in my way, a cop lasered me at 107. He was not on the highway, he was on the access road, or even parked at a store. I'm not 100% where he was, but he was not on the highway as I saw him enter the ramp to get onto the highway (in front of me). He threw his lights on and pulled me over.

I am looking for some advice.

Somehow I just dont believe he tagged me with a laser from not even being on the highway and through traffic. I requested to see the laser showing me at 107 and he refused.

He also gave me 2 more citations, one for not updating my address on my drivers license (I just recently moved and really havent had the time) and a third for not having a registration sticker on my windshield. (For the life of me I can't find it and I'm prettysure my dealership didnt give me it with my plates)

So the 2nd and 3rd citation I believe are both "fix-it" tickets, and once I fix those within the 15 days I need to go to court, they should just be dismissal fees around $20 each. (atleast I believe this is the case)

The speeding ticket on the other hand, I'm trying to figure out my options. I'm not sure if I will be allowed to do deferred or defensive driving since I allegedly went 37 over. I'd really hate to see my insurance skyrocket cause of this as well. I'm not sure how well it would go trying to fight it either. So I'm looking for some insight from people who have been in this situation or are lawyers and have advice for me.

Thanks

Last edited by Rin; 01-14-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
so much of what your asking depends on your states laws. what are the consequences of the ticket? I know here in VA you probably would have gone to jail and had your car impounded for going 107 mph. after that, without good representation you probably would loose your license for a year or so and received about 5k worth of fines. a good lawyer would probably get it reduced and you would walk out needing to take a class and with some hefty fines. now if your under 20 or recently licenced, they would probably suspend your license indefinitely and you would have to go back to the court a year or so later to petition for it back. as for your insurance, depends on other factors too. if your young, a lot of companies will drop you for something so stupid, or refuse to offer collision/comprehensive coverage. but if you older with years of incident free driving (which I'm getting the feeling isn't the case) you might not even see much of an increase.

I'd say your outlook is probably pretty good as TX must be pretty lax to have just let you drive off with a couple tickets. but if by any chance are tough on that sort of stuff you probably want to get a lawyer.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
MissyTx
SPOILED

Drives: 2013 SIM Camaro Convertible
Good luck with trying to get out of that one. I have a lot of cop friends and they couldn't get me out of my last ticket, and it wasn't as bad as yours. I have heard that Frisco cops are really strict and by the book. Sorry :(
Old 01-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I was on a highway and did a quick acceleration to get around some people. I was going 80 before I accelerated and reached 100ish and then went back down to 80. Apparently in the 5 seconds I took to pass said cars in my way, a cop lasered me at 107. He was not on the highway, he was on the access road, or even parked at a store. I'm not 100% where he was, but he was not on the highway as I saw him enter the ramp to get onto the highway (in front of me). He threw his lights on and pulled me over.

Somehow I just dont believe he tagged me with a laser from not even being on the highway and through traffic. I requested to see the laser showing me at 107 and he refused.

He also gave me 2 more citations, one for not updating my address on my drivers license (I just recently moved and really havent had the time) and a third for not having a registration sticker on my windshield. (For the life of me I can't find it and I'm prettysure my dealership didnt give me it with my plates)

So the 2nd and 3rd citation I believe are both "fix-it" tickets, and once I fix those within the 15 days I need to go to court, they should just be dismissal fees around $20 each. (atleast I believe this is the case)

The speeding ticket on the other hand, I'm trying to figure out my options. I'm not sure if I will be allowed to do deferred or defensive driving since I allegedly went 37 over. I'd really hate to see my insurance skyrocket cause of this as well. I'm not sure how well it would go trying to fight it either. So I'm looking for some insight from people who have been in this situation or are lawyers and have advice for me.

Thanks

Fight it. I had a state cop here in Florida come over 3 lanes to get behind me a few years ago and I know for a fact I wasnt speeding because there was a traffic jam and everyone was going 5mph I had only been in Florida a week and still have California plates on my car and I know he thought he was gonna get a BIG drug bust so anyway he pulls me over, license plate ticket, DL ticket hadnt changed address, and 2 other tickets I forgot what they were for now and I asked him what I did wrong and he said if you open your mouth again Im taking you to jail and after that I felt like telling him F**K you but didnt, anyway I fought the tickets and got them all dismissed in open court and he never bothered to show up so if I was you I would FIGHT!!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Rin

What I find amazing is him tagging me from the access road or farther while I was in all the traffic I was passing. I quickly dropped back down to 80 after I passed the traffic. If I fight it, my best defense in my mind would be he got the wrong car, the calibration isn't up to date on the laser, or it malfunctioned and gave an incorrect reading because I was in traffic.

I am 20 years old with 1 speeding ticket (2-3 years ago). My record is pretty clean and my previous ticket was me going a measly 7 over.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Time to lawyer up. Defensive driving is not an option over 95 miles per hour or over the limit by 25 miles per hour. With an attorney you might get lucky and have it reduced to allow you to do the deferred option or at least reduce the cost of the ticket. But many times the lawyer will continue to show up to court and hope that the officer fails to appear and get a full dismissal.

Best of luck. Sucks to get a ticket, especially in the triple digits.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
I was on a highway and did a quick acceleration to get around some people. I was going 80 before I accelerated and reached 100ish and then went back down to 80. Apparently in the 5 seconds I took to pass said cars in my way, a cop lasered me at 107. He was not on the highway, he was on the access road, or even parked at a store. I'm not 100% where he was, but he was not on the highway as I saw him enter the ramp to get onto the highway (in front of me). He threw his lights on and pulled me over.

Thanks
he probably had a spotter radio you in, I say fight it any good traffic lawyer can get those charges reduced for a basic over the limit ticket.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Take responsibility you were speeding who cars if the officer was on a horse or bike in a tree or on a bridge. You yourself said you looked down and were at 100.

Ryan
Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
The cop that stopped you probably wasn't the one that lasered you he was just the chase car. Texas may be different but in Florida we have the option to take a defensive driver class. This would be your best option to keep the points off your record so your insurance doesn't go up! Good luck!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
The cop that stopped you probably wasn't the one that lasered you he was just the chase car. Texas may be different but in Florida we have the option to take a defensive driver class. This would be your best option to keep the points off your record so your insurance doesn't go up! Good luck!
As far as I know, once you go above 25mph from the speed limit, defensive driving isn't viable anymore. I'm going to call the court to get a list of all my options, and then I'll have to see about getting a lawyer.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
As far as I know, once you go above 25mph from the speed limit, defensive driving isn't viable anymore. I'm going to call the court to get a list of all my options, and then I'll have to see about getting a lawyer.
You dont need a attorney to fight that. Just show up for court. He probably wont.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Lawyer up ! NOW! ! Have the lawyer seek a production request on the video from the squad if there is one hopefully which will show you asked to see the laser speed and he refused. But don't ask for it until after the first court date cause the cop may be too busy and not show up and your lawyer will ask to dismiss the case and the sate will either ask for a continuance or dismissal. But then again, that's Illinois, go see a Texas lawyer now.
think of it this way, when you show up with a lawyer, the judge and states attorney knows, okay this kid is taking this thing seriously and has spent a bunch of money on a lawyer so they tend to be a little more amenable to working out a deal. And pick a lawyer that is going to walk in the courtroom looking like you paid a ton of money to hire him or her.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
What is your previous driving record? Is it clean, Or do you have any other speeding tickets?
That could also have a bearing on getting the fine reduced.
One thing I don't understand you were doing 80 in a 70 and felt the need to speed up to pass slower traffic, what this on a 2 lane or interstate?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
You dont need a attorney to fight that. Just show up for court. He probably wont.
that doesnt matter here, they will just set another date... go try to fight, then go pick out a nice bike

Closed Thread