Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
I'm pretty sure there is no explicitly short or long wheelbase Alpha platform. It should be able to scale to somewhere in the middle, if necessary.
It's scaleable to some degree but there is indeed a SWB Alpha and LWB Alpha.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Wish there were more threads like these with actual information and honest debate...

I encourage all car fans to test drive the ats...it really is a nicely done car
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Exigent

Drives: 2003 Porsche 996tt
I have an ATS now, bought it as a way of previewing the next Camaro. So far I've been impressed.
Exigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
I have an ATS now, bought it as a way of previewing the next Camaro. So far I've been impressed.
I usually do the same thing, testing out new platforms until the halo model comes out. When I get bored with them, I dramatically crash them and sell videos of the explosions to movie studios. When my insurance goes up, I buy out the insurance company and set my own rates. It's good being a multi-billionaire.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Wish there were more threads like these with actual information and honest debate...

I encourage all car fans to test drive the ats...it really is a nicely done car
Definitely make a point of doing this in order to put things in perspective and get a handle on how a 6th Gen might feel. I think anyone who takes the time to do this will be very impressed!
I drove a loaded AWD 3.6 a couple of weeks before heading down to Indy for the gathering and my impressions are thus:
- handling and response to steering inputs are fantastic. Agile and athletic with lightning-like reflexes. The lighter weight stands out front and center. Responsiveness is definitely comparable to my '10 CTS-V.
- ride is superb with the MRC. Definitely a worthwhile investment (IMHO) if it is an option on the 6th Gen.
- front seat comfort and room is excellent! No complaints as far as the standard seats are concerned (and I'm very, very critical of run-of-the-mill standard GM seating.) These seats are great!
-rear seat - fuggedaboutit! The ATS may as well be a coupe (visibility out back ain't great either). I'm over 6' and it was a PITA to get in and out of the back seat. The problem is getting your head (if you are a tall person) tucked under the roofline during ingress. Egress is just as challenging. However, once you've managed to shoehorn yourself into the back seat, the room isn't all that bad. If there's a person in the seat in front of you, they may have to move it up a bit. (so what else is new?) Tall folks may have to keep their heads down in the back, but that's par for the course in a 5th Gen as well!
-power is ample with the 3.6. No huge raves, but I'm sure most will find the power level to be a bit more than adequate for everyday driving (my viewpoint may be somewhat skewed, coming from a CTS-V). However, I could easily see the 420 HP TT 3.6 from the 2014 CTS V-Sport as an uplevel powertrain option on this SWB Alpha platform. Having that option available would just be so sweet in this car! (ATS-V?)
- the car had a whole whack of warning notifications (optional, thank goodness) that I found somewhat disturbing... the seat vibrates if someone comes up beside you... don't need it and don't like it 'cuz I like to use my mirrors and those seat vibrations are intrusive. If there's a car on your right, the right side of the seat vibrates - similar if there's a car on the left.
Hopefully you don't get too close to the car in front of you, otherwise the DIC will warn you of an impending collision... good stuff if you don't like to focus on your surroundings when you are driving!!
So all in all, a great package from a performance perspective. I'm very confident that GM can fine tune the road feel on this platform to the wants and needs demanded by the Camaro market (and blow the the new Mustang out of the water at all levels!)

Things are lookin' great from where I sit!

Best regards,

Elie
Old 09-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Things are lookin' great from where I sit!

Best regards,

Elie
thanks for the feed back, got me excited for the future of camaro!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The ATS is an outstanding car. Agree with the comments. That being said, that won't necessarily make it a great Camaro.

Disagree on the size. The ATS is a small car. Keep in mind it is the same size as a Chevy Cruze and for all the people on here going "give us the ATS" as the platform for the NG Camaro, you are also saying, "give me a car the size of the Chevy Cruze".

I may be wrong on this point, but I don't want a small Camaro.

I've made the Comparison of our Audi S4 vs. the ATS. The Audi weighs a good 300 plus pounds more and if I'm picking, I'm picking the Audi. Doesn't mean that's what works for everyone, but for me I'd rather have the 3.0T and full time AWD and a slightly bigger car. Audi has reasonable rear seat accommodations. The ATS is at best a 2+2. Audi has a bigger trunk roomier and front seat space. And a Cruze has better rear seat and trunk space than the ATS. And agree those aren't attributes people are looking for in a Camaro, but GM has notoriously and famously packaged cars big on the outside and small on the inside. Look at the CTS Coupe. No front seat head room and a joke in the rear seat area. The took a reasonably roomy sedan and made it pretty bad if you ever intend more than a 12 year old to sit in the back seats. I love that car but it is a complete compromise to achieve the styling.

Now some will take a lighter Camaro no matter how small it is. That model doesn't work for me.

I want a Camaro off of a mid size platform, not a compact. JMO
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The ATS is an outstanding car. Agree with the comments. That being said, that won't necessarily make it a great Camaro.

Disagree on the size. The ATS is a small car. Keep in mind it is the same size as a Chevy Cruze and for all the people on here going "give us the ATS" as the platform for the NG Camaro, you are also saying, "give me a car the size of the Chevy Cruze".

I may be wrong on this point, but I don't want a small Camaro.

I've made the Comparison of our Audi S4 vs. the ATS. The Audi weighs a good 300 plus pounds more and if I'm picking, I'm picking the Audi. Doesn't mean that's what works for everyone, but for me I'd rather have the 3.0T and full time AWD and a slightly bigger car. Audi has reasonable rear seat accommodations. The ATS is at best a 2+2. Audi has a bigger trunk roomier and front seat space. And a Cruze has better rear seat and trunk space than the ATS. And agree those aren't attributes people are looking for in a Camaro, but GM has notoriously and famously packaged cars big on the outside and small on the inside. Look at the CTS Coupe. No front seat head room and a joke in the rear seat area. The took a reasonably roomy sedan and made it pretty bad if you ever intend more than a 12 year old to sit in the back seats. I love that car but it is a complete compromise to achieve the styling.

Now some will take a lighter Camaro no matter how small it is. That model doesn't work for me.

I want a Camaro off of a mid size platform, not a compact. JMO
Great analysis!
...and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the ATS - it is space and room challenged - without a doubt! Transforming it into a coupe would certainly put it into the 2+2 category.
So what if... the 6th Gen was based on the ATS platform and what if... it showed up as a 2+2? I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing. The 6th Gen Camaro will need to come out fighting the new Mustang - which will of course be smaller and lighter than the current model - and given what Ford has shown with respect to the power levels they can achieve through the technology of their smaller, but still powerful (Ecoboost) engines, Camaro needs to come out in fighting trim. Camaro has always been thought of pretty much as a 2+2. Who knows what the new Mustang will weigh in at, but I'm of the opinion that whatever GM can do to bring the 6th Gen to market in as light a form as possible is a very important factor. Fuel economy ratings are looming large because of CAFE.
But wait! GM also has an option to think about (or they've already thought about it). For those who would like a "larger" Camaro, then the car could be based on the "stretched" Alpha (a.k.a. CTS), which is a whole lot roomier than the ATS.
I don't know what the performance/fuel economy penalty might equate to by using the larger Alpha platform for Camaro , but I feel that GM must put their best foot forward and nail it, right out of the gate, in terms of weight reduction which directly impacts fuel economy and performance.
What does it say about weight etc. if the ATS-V ends up with the 420 HP TT 3.6 and the 3rd Gen CTS-V ends up with some form of the LT1 V8?
Decisions, decisions...

Best regards,

Elie
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
But wait! GM also has an option to think about (or they've already thought about it). For those who would like a "larger" Camaro, then the car could be based on the "stretched" Alpha (a.k.a. CTS), which is a whole lot roomier than the ATS.
I, personally, am of the mindset that the Camaro needs to be smaller and lighter. That said, I also think there could be room to slot an additional, larger, 5 seat coupe above Camaro.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #24
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I currently own both, a 2013 ATS Luxury package 2.0L turbo AWD, and let me tell you it's not even remotely close to being a Camaro. If GM tries to make the new gen Camaro similar to the ATS their gonna miss the boat really hard. Don't get me wrong my ATS is a nice car, and has some mechanical and undercarriage similarities but it's not a camaro, a new gen camaro and will never be compatible, well I hope not.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I currently own both, a 2013 ATS Luxury package 2.0L turbo AWD, and let me tell you it's not even remotely close to being a Camaro. If GM tries to make the new gen Camaro similar to the ATS their gonna miss the boat really hard. Don't get me wrong my ATS is a nice car, and has some mechanical and undercarriage similarities but it's not a camaro, a new gen camaro and will never be compatible, well I hope not.
Well it's going on the same platform so....
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #26
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
The Camaro has to downsize. It is already heavier and just larger overall than the Mustang. There are some pretty solid rumors that the Mustang is going to downsize a fairly substantial amount, if the Camaro barley downsizes there is going to be a large discrepancy between the two. The lighter and more nimble Mustang would own the Camaro in every aspect, except for interior room. You don't buy a sports car for interior room..

We'll see what happens in time..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #27
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The ATS based Camaro, at least the German take:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/...-in-frankfurt/
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I thought the best guesses were that the Camaro would be on the longer wheel base version of the alpha platform, making it a little larger than the ATS.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation