Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 02-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #85
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Around here you will pretty much not see one last a week at the lot. Ordering is about the only way to make sure you get one without every option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad0311 View Post
Agreed. Just making it clear that it's not an order only car. Definitely hard to find on the lots although there are a couple around out this way where I live. I test drove one a few months back.

Great info!! Thanks so much for clearing this up. I had read that it was an "order only" sub-model, and that if you wanted to get one off a lot, it was because someone ordered and didn't pick it up. Either way, I have seen a few that are optioned how I like for $43k-ish. That's with a $48k MSRP. So I figure that's probably a better deal than ordering and waiting for your car to get in. Can't wait to get back out there and drive the Scat Pack and SS in a few weeks when it warms up a bit.

'22 Camaro ZL1 | A10 | Carbon Everything
'22 Kia Stinger GT2 RWD - Bone stock
'19 Kia Sorento - Wifemobile

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
'12 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - Takeda CAI, FI RHFC + FI resonated cat-back, Hotchkis F+R Sways, SSR GTV03 (18x9.5 +45 squared), Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Tanabe Lowering Springs, Full Akebono BBK upgrade F+R, StopTech Rotors/Pads/SS Brake Lines, Takeda FTSB, (300AWHP / 251TQ)
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #86
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail View Post
Great info!! Thanks so much for clearing this up. I had read that it was an "order only" sub-model, and that if you wanted to get one off a lot, it was because someone ordered and didn't pick it up. Either way, I have seen a few that are optioned how I like for $43k-ish. That's with a $48k MSRP. So I figure that's probably a better deal than ordering and waiting for your car to get in. Can't wait to get back out there and drive the Scat Pack and SS in a few weeks when it warms up a bit.
Good luck with your choice man. They are both awesome.
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #87
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail View Post
I think the confusion comes from Dodge saying they will "build as many as they get orders for". Similar to the Hellcat. I know my local Dodge Sales Manager told me he sells so many that he's constantly putting in an order. So he's always got allocation for them. Other dealers might be on a waiting list.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #88
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Agreed, Dodge sells lots of Chargers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
The difference being the very boring looks of the SS. Chargers catch your eye, especially the ones after the latest restyle. But agreed we need a real 4 door Camaro. The SS is now too big and heavy. Think ATS Sedan with an LT1.

Also I am a big fan of the 392 Mopars. I can't wait to race them at Atco with my M6 CA6 SS if GM ever comes through with a deal for replacing my ZL1.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #89
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The difference being the very boring looks of the SS. Chargers catch your eye, especially the ones after the latest restyle. But agreed we need a real 4 door Camaro. The SS is now too big and heavy. Think ATS Sedan with an LT1.

Also I am a big fan of the 392 Mopars. I can't wait to race them at Atco with my M6 CA6 SS if GM ever comes through with a deal for replacing my ZL1.

I can't believe the SS still has the LS3??? I just sold my supercharged 4 door Civic SI 2015 to make room for the Camaro, I'm looking to sell or not my last Challenger. I would guarantee you that if I owned a Charger instead I'b be keeping it, as every once in a while I like 4 doors. The Challenger has room in the back but it is kind of a pain getting in and out. The Charger it is no issues. Pretty sure the Charger does not have a manual, while the SS does and that is a big selling point for me.

The Camaro really does not have backseats.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #90
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Both awesome cars, chill out people, the 392s are fast in the 1/4 despite the fat ass, period. If you want a car that's going to be quick in the 1/4 and handle like a dream get the camaro, if you want a car that's going to be quick in the 1/4 and still has that old school cool look but handles like a boat then get the Challenger. Who really gives a flying f*** if one or the other occasionally wins in at the strip, especially since we know in the hands of competent drivers they are both sub 12 sec cars.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #91
AN0NYM0US

Drives: .
So the challenger/charger SP is more comfortable as a daily driver than the 16 Camaro? I thought the mrc makes the ride more comfortable?
AN0NYM0US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:34 AM   #92
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0NYM0US View Post
So the challenger/charger SP is more comfortable as a daily driver than the 16 Camaro? I thought the mrc makes the ride more comfortable?
Highly doubt it has a better ride than an MRC equipped SS, but a large heavy car sometimes gives the illusion of a having a more comfortable ride, plus the Challenger has more room inside which will also contribute to the feel of a comfy ride.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #93
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0NYM0US View Post
I would say the LX cars chassis is more compliant, leading to less road feel/noise. That and the more interior room and 8 way power seats(option) give it more of the luxury feel. At the same time the Camaro (even on base suspension) ride is not uncomfortable at all. Just the chassis and weight savings make more road noise and road feel is more noticeable. There's no right or wrong, they are just two different types of feel (GT vs Sports car).

Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #94
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
I had the opportunity to drive a '16 Camaro last month (a no-option, 6-speed 1SS). I currently drive a '15 Challenger Scat Pack. Having driven them back to back, I came to the conclusion that, to put it succinctly, the Camaro was superior from a performance and build quality standpoint, while the Challenger was the more comfortable, practical and IMO, better looking car (not to say the 6th-gen is a ugly-looking car, far from it).

With that being said, I plan to ditch my Scat Pack ASAP, not because of its alleged hang-ups in some performance areas, but because this car has the worst build quality of any car I've owned, save my 4th-gen Z28 that I had (at least that Camaro had the excuse of being a 90s GM product, and being bought used).

The Camaro's interior may be more tight, and the back seat and trunk are a joke, but it's still comfortable enough for a daily driver, at least for me. The better performance (esp. handling) is just icing on the cake. The only area I found particularly deficient was the standard exhaust on the 1SS I drove. I'd really like to hear how an NPP-equipped SS would sound in comparison, in person.

Only thing that's really stopping me from jumping ship is my current lack of employment.

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #95
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimatr View Post
I had the opportunity to drive a '16 Camaro last month (a no-option, 6-speed 1SS). I currently drive a '15 Challenger Scat Pack. Having driven them back to back, I came to the conclusion that, to put it succinctly, the Camaro was superior from a performance and build quality standpoint, while the Challenger was the more comfortable, practical and IMO, better looking car (not to say the 6th-gen is a ugly-looking car, far from it).

With that being said, I plan to ditch my Scat Pack ASAP, not because of its alleged hang-ups in some performance areas, but because this car has the worst build quality of any car I've owned, save my 4th-gen Z28 that I had (at least that Camaro had the excuse of being a 90s GM product, and being bought used).

The Camaro's interior may be more tight, and the back seat and trunk are a joke, but it's still comfortable enough for a daily driver, at least for me. The better performance (esp. handling) is just icing on the cake. The only area I found particularly deficient was the standard exhaust on the 1SS I drove. I'd really like to hear how an NPP-equipped SS would sound in comparison, in person.

Only thing that's really stopping me from jumping ship is my current lack of employment.
Going from that excellent sound of the 392 with active exhaust to the 1SS with standard is definitely a big shock. The NPP brings it to the level of the SP cars without a doubt. Both have distinct sounds yes but both are just as menacing. You'll be happy with NPP if you like your Challenger's.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #96
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by antimatr View Post

What about the build quality is bad? I've noticed the taillights don't line up on most Challengers/FCA cars, but never looked that close.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #97
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
overall the Challenger is not bad, silly stuff like the rubber on the hood falling apart every 2 years, I replaced my driver's side door rubber twice, the window rolls up and down everytime you open the car. The two lower side panels were warpped and messed up on both Challengers. I can see factory body work on the back pillers on both cars. I have a great eye working at a bodyshop for years.

I have had zero mechanical problems even under boost and N20. I did change the rotors out due to warp, but I race the car a bunch... so expected.

Oh and ALL the bushing suck bad and need to be replaced they are just overburden. The new LX platforms have stronger bushings and suspension components but NOWHERE near Camaro strength or build.

My 4th gen Camaro with years of beating on it never had a major problem. It was a late 1997 build LS1, one of the first and I had to reflash the ecu a couple of times. The mechanical mirror, yes mechanical I ain't kidding would break every year the oldlady and I are different sizes and it just could not take the daily adjustment.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #98
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
What about the build quality is bad? I've noticed the taillights don't line up on most Challengers/FCA cars, but never looked that close.
Here's a previous post of mine outlining the problems I've had with my Challenger:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...90#post8848690

As for my 4th gen, it was a '95 which I bought back in '98 as my first car. Exterior fit and finish was about the same as my Challenger (which was to say, pretty damn lacking...at least I didn't have to worry about rust from SMC body panels...). I also went through three Opti-sparks, a water pump, a fuel pump, driver side power window motor (made drive-thrus real fun...) had my interior spontaneously disintegrate once the car reached its 10th birthday, and at the end, had a rear main seal leak.

Still, looking back, I don't really have any regrets aside from selling it (even with all the trouble I had with it, I wanted to keep it alongside my next car). Just hope GM's stepped up it's QC game over the past 20 years...

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)

Last edited by antimatr; 02-26-2016 at 04:15 PM.
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote