Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #127
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Next time try turning. He won't be that close to you then.
Lol funny how that used to be the Corvette argument. Now it's migrated down to the Camaro. That Scat Pack is the real deal...but then, so is the Camaro. But I would only get the Charger...and I chose my Grand Sport over all of them. Not to say I wouldn't get a Scat Pack / SS in the future.

'22 Camaro ZL1 | A10 | Carbon Everything
'22 Kia Stinger GT2 RWD - Bone stock
'19 Kia Sorento - Wifemobile

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
'12 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - Takeda CAI, FI RHFC + FI resonated cat-back, Hotchkis F+R Sways, SSR GTV03 (18x9.5 +45 squared), Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Tanabe Lowering Springs, Full Akebono BBK upgrade F+R, StopTech Rotors/Pads/SS Brake Lines, Takeda FTSB, (300AWHP / 251TQ)
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #128
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I love the looks of the Scat Pack W/ Shaker hood, it definitely fits the bill for the boulevard cruiser! I even considered one while I was waiting on the 6th Gen to be revealed. However the way I see it, for the same price as the scat pack, I can get similar power and acceleration with MUCH BETTER handling, braking, and overall grip!

The only sacrifice is rear seat room and trunk space. Those aren't deal breakers for me as I rarely have more than 1 passenger in my mid size SUV. I would consider a Vette but I still think the small back seat has value as passenger space for future kids as the car will likely be replaced by the time we have kids and they outgrow the back seat.

The way I see it...

SS > Scat Pack

So for me the 1LE SS will be the ultimate performance bargain!
Old 04-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #129
IntricateDetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I love the looks of the Scat Pack W/ Shaker hood, it definitely fits the bill for the boulevard cruiser! I even considered one while I was waiting on the 6th Gen to be revealed. However the way I see it, for the same price as the scat pack, I can get similar power and acceleration with MUCH BETTER handling, braking, and overall grip!

The only sacrifice is rear seat room and trunk space. Those aren't deal breakers for me as I rarely have more than 1 passenger in my mid size SUV. I would consider a Vette but I still think the small back seat has value as passenger space for future kids as the car will likely be replaced by the time we have kids and they outgrow the back seat.

The way I see it...

SS > Scat Pack

So for me the 1LE SS will be the ultimate performance bargain!
I definitely agree. The SS is the better all around car, that's for sure. The amount of handling and tech they put into the new Camaro is astounding and really cool.

As for the Vette, yea I had to make that choice and I'm happy with it. I have 2 little kids (6 year old and 5 month old) and so we have the "family" vehicle...but it does stink that they can't ride with me when we do car events. My car will probably be sold before my oldest is old enough to ride with me...so there is that. My buddy in my local Infiniti/Nissan club has a vette as well but his little girl is old enough to ride in the front seat with him and she loves it. My 6 year old is always begging me for a ride and that really does crush me to have to tell her no. :( Buuuut, I have given her a short ride around our neighborhood. SHHHHHH, don't tell anyone. Haha.

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
'12 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - Takeda CAI, FI RHFC + FI resonated cat-back, Hotchkis F+R Sways, SSR GTV03 (18x9.5 +45 squared), Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Tanabe Lowering Springs, Full Akebono BBK upgrade F+R, StopTech Rotors/Pads/SS Brake Lines, Takeda FTSB, (300AWHP / 251TQ)
Old 04-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #130
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Srt8 or scat pack is great if you want a great looking four door car with plenty of performance that you don't plan on tracking.. It looks amazing, performs great, and is probably a solid daily driver.

Obviously the Camaro edges it out in performance, but that's a given.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #131
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Next time try turning. He won't be that close to you then.
We are both A8 autos he has a drag radial and a cold air intake im sitting stock (Besides a Mishimoto catch can). From a dig we go door to door to 130. Camaro seems a little stronger from 60 to 100 but barely. The Scat is about 400lbs heavier im a 2SS with a sunroof and gotta be near 3700 he is 4100. It is a very nice car and should not be underestimated they run hard.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #132
IntricateDetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
We are both A8 autos he has a drag radial and a cold air intake im sitting stock (Besides a Mishimoto catch can). From a dig we go door to door to 130. Camaro seems a little stronger from 60 to 100 but barely. The Scat is about 400lbs heavier im a 2SS with a sunroof and gotta be near 3700 he is 4100. It is a very nice car and should not be underestimated they run hard.
And sound AMAZING. I love the way the Scat Packs sound. Great OEM sound.

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
Old 04-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #133
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Maybe I'm one of the few who doesn't just buy a car to go straight...

Hence why I am waiting for the SS 1LE.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #134
IntricateDetail

Quote:
Maybe I'm one of the few who doesn't just buy a car to go straight...

Hence why I am waiting for the SS 1LE.
It's definitely not a maybe. If you don't buy a car to go straight, you certainly ARE one of the few. Lol. I mean, it's a fact. Heck, even if you put ALL enthusiasts together, that still only makes up a small percentage of all car owners/drivers. And of course, even then, most enthusiasts don't even track their cars (except for drag strip). It literally is only a small percentage of a small percentage of people who care about how fast their car is around a track.

I bought a Corvette Grand Sport and I don't even care how fast it is around a track. It's literally the equivalent of a 1LE Camaro, but for the Vette. I just like spirited driving and maybe going to a strip every now and then. Point is, a Scat Pack can do that. There are huge MOPAR clubs that go to the Tail of the Dragon and other events like that and do spirited driving in the twisties. Just because the car isn't "as fast" as another in twisties or a road course...doesn't mean it isn't fun to drive or an awesome car. I really don't get the argument to be honest. They are both awesome cars, both can be taken to whatever type of event you want, and both will have die hard fans who love and drive the heck out of them. You beating them on a track, stock for stock...seems like a silly reason to buy a car. I bet they're having just as much fun out there sliding their car around the corners as you are. Lol

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
Old 04-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #135
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
I was looking at the Challenger before getting my Camaro. Wanted all leather seats so I was looking at the Scat Pack Shaker. Price was too much to get what I wanted. I probably would have went with the auto if I got the Challenger.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #136
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
It's a tired, very inaccurate reputation that because it isn't as capable as say..a 1LE or the latest Camaro SS/Mustang GT that the Challenger "can't go around corners".

It's roughly as capable of going into the turns as a 2010/2011 Camaro SS or a brembo package 2011-2014 Mustang GT. It's not where it's happiest (the drag strip is obviously its home) but it won't kill you if you're in the twisties a bit.

The Challenger is simply under-tired, it doesn't have enough rubber. Going to a 275 front and 295 Rear setup brings the Challenger into a completely different world of performance.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #137
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Handling wise for most people an SRT8 Charger/Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro are plenty. Yes, there are differences, but for daily driving... Ehh.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #138
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
It's a tired, very inaccurate reputation that because it isn't as capable as say..a 1LE or the latest Camaro SS/Mustang GT that the Challenger "can't go around corners".

It's roughly as capable of going into the turns as a 2010/2011 Camaro SS or a brembo package 2011-2014 Mustang GT. It's not where it's happiest (the drag strip is obviously its home) but it won't kill you if you're in the twisties a bit.

The Challenger is simply under-tired, it doesn't have enough rubber. Going to a 275 front and 295 Rear setup brings the Challenger into a completely different world of performance.
Adding more rubber doesn't hide massive weight. One of my best friends has a Scat Pack with a decent amount of suspension work, including wider and stickier rubber. I autocrossed it twice, while it didn't do terribley bad, it's just too damn heavy and fast transitions through it off balance big time...weight is the enemy in that car, and it's tall for what it is. No fixing that...
Old 04-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #139
IntricateDetail

Quote:
Adding more rubber doesn't hide massive weight. One of my best friends has a Scat Pack with a decent amount of suspension work, including wider and stickier rubber. I autocrossed it twice, while it didn't do terribley bad, it's just too damn heavy and fast transitions through it off balance big time..
Which is exactly why my response was what it was. You, are the minority...but that is fine. You know what you like, and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a reason for choosing the car they do/did. It's just that most people aren't going to choose based on the same parameters you are mentioning.

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #140
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail View Post
Which is exactly why my response was what it was. You, are the minority...but that is fine. You know what you like, and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a reason for choosing the car they do/did. It's just that most people aren't going to choose based on the same parameters you are mentioning.
In this class people care more about numbers than if buying say a Camry or Civic. I actually know a lot of people who buy cars like these and track them in some way, shape or form. Not everyone who buys these cars are posers, and if you want to legitimately compare how cars in this class will fair against each other you need to use all the possible stats available to you. A good portion of buyers in the V8 muscle car class will make their choice based on performance, even if they aren't going to use it to its full potential. If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't have Randy Probst doing track testing for Motor Trend.