Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: V8 or V6TT
V8 265 83.33%
V6TT 53 16.67%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
V8. There Is NO other option!

While a TTV6 may have more horse, it's just about topped out in HP. A few bolt ons and you'll surpass a V6 with ease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Not even close to topped out. They are getting the caddys above 400 rwhp just with a tune.

Sent from my Samsung via Tapatalk.
What Gretchen said. The factory TTV6s are held WAY back with their conservative tunes.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #44
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Guys really? Strap a Pratt-Whitney jet engine to the back, man I hate all this mod talk sometimes. If you want the ultimate, then just buy the ultimate.

This is the Camaro forum. If the 6th gen can drop say 500-600 pounds and get to a 7/8th size of what it is now, I would consider it. Do twin turbos, make it silly and I will keep my incoming 2014 until it blows up.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #45
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
This is the Camaro forum. If the 6th gen can drop say 500-600 pounds and get to a 7/8th size of what it is now, I would consider it. .
And of course 500-600 pounds and 7/8th size are never happening. But how 'bout a 10% haircut? 375 lbs and 9/10th size? Achievable? Frankly, I'd love a Camaro like that... even with a NA V6.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #46
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
This is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
Just an after thought. Since the new frame is gonna be a rwd and awd frame and that the XTS Caddy can be a V6TT AWD do you think Chevy may offer the Camaro in an AWD TT. Would be a nice addition/competitor to the Subarus and other awd cars.
Kinda could get into an AWD Automatic TT Camaro. Would make for some very consistant ET's!
Remember GMs AWD is not an Audi like Full Time system. It's not a performance enahancer it's a "I can drive it in the winter system." Think of it like this.....the CTS V-Sport does not offer AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenangels89 View Post
I'm willing to bet my annual pay they wouldn't make an AWD Camaro.

kinda brings me into the light of the CERV II, Mid Engine... AWD.... V8... mmm... imagine what they could do today... off topic..
Careful on that wager. I can see them offering a V6 or 4 cylinder (if there is one) with AWD to make the Camaro a great 4 season coupe. Might even be a competitive advantage and easy to do since Alpha supports AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014v6 View Post
ttv6... power of the v8 and the gas millage would be awesome...
Better define Awesome for me. I don't consider the CTS V-Sport FE as awesome. V-sport is 16/24 about the same as today's SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
I'd like an 8 speed automatic AWD TT V6
AWD is for winter only. GM does not have Full Time AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I think a V8 would be cool if it was actually DOHC and you could get extreme VVT gains out of it. But no, an instant-torque boosted V6 will outstrip the V8 model by lengths. Yes, you could modify the V8 "further" but you could always just up the fuel and boost and, again, whoop V8s.

Plus the TTV6 would get killer mileage.
Is "killer" mileage better than "awesome"? Again CTS V-Sport isn't awesome or killer IMO. 16/24 isn't killer or awesome. It's equal to the SS today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If that was the case, the LF3 would get better mileage than the LS3 but it doesn't. I doubt a TTV6 would beat the LT1 in power, torque and mileage.
Agreed.......at least for the C7 which has way better aero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I personally would like to see 4 engine choices for a 2016 F body.

2.0T LTG that makes about 300HP/300TQ. This would be the base model.

TT 3.6 LF3 420HP/430TQ. This would be a upgrade over base model.

6.2 LT1 460HP/465TQ for the SS model.

6.2 LT4 625HP/635TQ for the ZL1.

One thing to remember guys is if the car gets put on the ATS platform(which it better) there should be no reason why the SS should be over 3600lbs, with the base model not exceeding 3400lbs. Should make for some fun cars that would still be really fuel efficient. I think with the above engine choices built on ATS platforms the Camaro would certainly reign supreme over the competition.
There is every reason why it will be over 3600 pounds called reality. Not poking at you but a lot of folks are simply hoping. The V8 and drivetrain alone will add several hundred pounds over an ATS. And if you want the premium materials the ATS uses the be prepared to pay more money.

Everyone that hopes your number is true (and I hope it is too) start with the assumption that the Camaro will weigh even less than an ATS.

For starters unless you want 18 inch wheels as your largest choice you will be adding weight to handle the chassis loads. 18s are as big as you can get on an ATS.

Quote:
Twin turbo is sick, more so with AWD.

Still, I guess I am a purist, or what not, but the character of this car and the history has been the fabled V-8. The legendary small block V-8 with push rods, I mean strip that away and is it really a Camaro? Things evolve and change and as I get older I see it more all the time. Progress? Depends on definition.

Can a GM TT V-6 out gun an import doing the same? No. It can try it for less no doubt and gain plenty of support. Multi-valve and overhead cams? Sure, but why buy a Camaro? All this "new" tech exists and has for some time. You can buy one tomorrow in lots of models.

I am not against performance, efficiency, and bottom line numbers (drag strip/road course/etc). I just believe in my heart the Camaro (and the Corvette) are singular American icons. They not only stand for something, they ARE something. Maybe it's not tangible. Maybe I cannot express it well here in writing. Maybe only us in the older than 35 bracket even know what I am talking about. Maybe I am an idiot, distinct possibility!

Very glad my 2014 Camaro is in process. A dream car for me, one I always wanted.
AWD in current GM configuration does nothing but add 200 pounds and better wet road/snow driving.

Quote:
Not even close to topped out. They are getting the caddys above 400 rwhp just with a tune.

Sent from my Samsung via Tapatalk.
From the factory is what counts. Almost no one re calibrates their car. Only people who go on enthusiast web sites are willing to give up the warranty on a car.

Quote:
Guys really? Strap a Pratt-Whitney jet engine to the back, man I hate all this mod talk sometimes. If you want the ultimate, then just buy the ultimate.

This is the Camaro forum. If the 6th gen can drop say 500-600 pounds and get to a 7/8th size of what it is now, I would consider it. Do twin turbos, make it silly and I will keep my incoming 2014 until it blows up.
Again hopeful weight loss targets. Maybe for a 4 cylinder base car but an SS with a V8 won't be below 3600 pounds. I hope it does but that will mean premium materials and big $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
And of course 500-600 pounds and 7/8th size are never happening. But how 'bout a 10% haircut? 375 lbs and 9/10th size? Achievable? Frankly, I'd love a Camaro like that... even with a NA V6.
Agree
Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #47
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
From the factory is what counts. Almost no one re calibrates their car. Only people who go on enthusiast web sites are willing to give up the warranty on a car.
Did you read the post I quoted?

If you can get 20% gains from a tune only, then the engine is not topped out from the factory. How you feel about what people will do with the engine doesn't change that fact.

Still having fun?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #48
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
im thinking why not introduce additional engine options after the gen 6 initial year? this could get really interesting ...
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #49
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
There is every reason why it will be over 3600 pounds called reality. Not poking at you but a lot of folks are simply hoping. The V8 and drivetrain alone will add several hundred pounds over an ATS. And if you want the premium materials the ATS uses the be prepared to pay more money.

Again hopeful weight loss targets. Maybe for a 4 cylinder base car but an SS with a V8 won't be below 3600 pounds. I hope it does but that will mean premium materials and big $$.
I know you and I have gone back and forth on this a few times...and I'm not really disagreeing with you. But I still think there is a chance we could see the SS at just a hair under 3,600 lbs IF the next gen Camaro goes on the same chassis as the ATS. (short wheel base...if it goes on the longer wheel base version...then no)

The 2010 Camaro SS weighed what...3,850 lbs? The 2010 Camaro V6 weighed 3,720 if I remember correctly. That's 130 lbs. Just for fun lets say 150lb difference. ATS V6 weighs 3,460 lbs. (according to this article.) Add 150 lbs to that and you get 3,610 lbs.

So I do think it is possible. In reality, what I hope to see is something around 3,600 lbs. 3,650 or less. If its closer to 3,700 I'll be disappointed. If the V6 (or turbo 4) is over 3,500 again I'll be disappointed. I don't see any reason why they would have to use exotic materials to hit this mark, unless the Cadillac is already using such materials to hit that weight. (The base on that car is 3,315 by the way)

Quote:
He was just responding to a statement, a statement that we feel is incorrect.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #50
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
something else to think about, with all these engine options, is price point. a new LS is what, 22-24k? would the turbo 4 be that price, and everything bumps up, or will it be around 19k?

and if you have a v6TT, with almost the same hp as an SS, then I would think the price could be almost the same. heck, maybe more, because of having more parts that could break.

edit: and the comment about only enthusiasts that go on a website would modify their car is a little short sighted. If a prospective buyer, who's never been on a Camaro site, buys a v6TT, there's a good chance they know what they bought, and why they bought it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #51
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
something else to think about, with all these engine options, is price point. a new LS is what, 22-24k? would the turbo 4 be that price, and everything bumps up, or will it be around 19k?

and if you have a v6TT, with almost the same hp as an SS, then I would think the price could be almost the same. heck, maybe more, because of having more parts that could break.

edit: and the comment about only enthusiasts that go on a website would modify their car is a little short sighted. If a prospective buyer, who's never been on a Camaro site, buys a v6TT, there's a good chance they know what they bought, and why they bought it.
I think the performance of the NA V6 both in HP and fuel economy would determine pricing placement of a turbo 4 if offered. IF it did outperform the V6 GM would have no problem charging more, especially since Ford has already done so with the Mustang. I personally don't think we'll see a turbo 4 or a TTV6 in the sixth gen based solely on the excellent numbers that we're already seeing form the LT1 (also knowing that the LT1 is cheaper to produce than the LF3) and the already proven performance of the LFX which is rumored to be replaced soon with the LGX. Ford decided not to do much with their V6 and is gambling on the turbo 4 being successful.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #52
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Im all for the v6 TT but they have to keep the v8 in the camaro
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #53
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
I like the feel of my SS and I am an old big block kinda guy !
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #54
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I think the performance of the NA V6 both in HP and fuel economy would determine pricing placement of a turbo 4 if offered. IF it did outperform the V6 GM would have no problem charging more, especially since Ford has already done so with the Mustang. I personally don't think we'll see a turbo 4 or a TTV6 in the sixth gen based solely on the excellent numbers that we're already seeing form the LT1 (also knowing that the LT1 is cheaper to produce than the LF3) and the already proven performance of the LFX which is rumored to be replaced soon with the LGX. Ford decided not to do much with their V6 and is gambling on the turbo 4 being successful.
I think i'm starting to see why the v6 crowd doesn't get as much love from the aftermarket industry...they keep changing the engine every 2-4 years. lol
Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #55
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Did you read the post I quoted?

If you can get 20% gains from a tune only, then the engine is not topped out from the factory. How you feel about what people will do with the engine doesn't change that fact.

Still having fun?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Having a blast, why do you ask?

It is "topped out" for the difficult combination of durability, emissions and fuel economy. Yes OEMs continue to tweak and improve over time. But the LS3 hasn't changed since launch.

For me, I compare what the OEM is able to deliver. I know others look at what they can do with it. I had an engineer that worked for me years ago that bought one of the very first C6 Z06s. Drove it home and put a cam in it. And I literally mean he drove it home and put a cam in it. A GM engineer knowingly gave up his warranty on the first day.

In the end though the magazines won't compare two cars tweaked by customers they will compare two cars delivered from the factory. That is the battle I want GM to win with the Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I know you and I have gone back and forth on this a few times...and I'm not really disagreeing with you. But I still think there is a chance we could see the SS at just a hair under 3,600 lbs IF the next gen Camaro goes on the same chassis as the ATS. (short wheel base...if it goes on the longer wheel base version...then no)

The 2010 Camaro SS weighed what...3,850 lbs? The 2010 Camaro V6 weighed 3,720 if I remember correctly. That's 130 lbs. Just for fun lets say 150lb difference. ATS V6 weighs 3,460 lbs. (according to this article.) Add 150 lbs to that and you get 3,610 lbs.

So I do think it is possible. In reality, what I hope to see is something around 3,600 lbs. 3,650 or less. If its closer to 3,700 I'll be disappointed. If the V6 (or turbo 4) is over 3,500 again I'll be disappointed. I don't see any reason why they would have to use exotic materials to hit this mark, unless the Cadillac is already using such materials to hit that weight. (The base on that car is 3,315 by the way)

He was just responding to a statement, a statement that we feel is incorrect.
The sense check will be the coupe ATS. If that 4 cylinder model weighs under 3300 pounds there will be a shot at a sub 3600 pound SS.

As we've discussed I hope you are right and I'm wrong.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #56
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I can't see more than 1 different engine change for initial gen 6 offering..going 4 and 6 twin turbo at same time IMO is too much change .if the plan is both then stretch out yr offerings, brings more attention and can be used as a counter to a Ford change..with the Camaro on a universal body, I think we can have some real options...
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation