Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
timshifty

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
CAI,Tune, What?

I just got this car and have been doing some reading on here. I have a few questions.

1. The car came with a K&N Cold Air already on it, is this a good one or is there something better I should go for?

2. I keep seeing people say TUNE, what does this mean. Are we talking computer tuning? If so is this something that is going to mess up my factory warranty? Also What is the best one to get?

I should mention that the car came lowered and my first upgrade will be rims & tires.
I will still have some money left and want to do engine work but need to still keep factory warranty. Any ideas?
timshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
tarik1985

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by timshifty View Post
I just got this car and have been doing some reading on here. I have a few questions.

1. The car came with a K&N Cold Air already on it, is this a good one or is there something better I should go for?

2. I keep seeing people say TUNE, what does this mean. Are we talking computer tuning? If so is this something that is going to mess up my factory warranty? Also What is the best one to get?

I should mention that the car came lowered and my first upgrade will be rims & tires.
I will still have some money left and want to do engine work but need to still keep factory warranty. Any ideas?
1. K&N cai is fine. There is better ones of course but if I already have that I'd save my money and put it toward another upgrade like headers or cat-back exhaust.
2. You can tune your car by taking it to a shop and do a dyno tune or by buying a handheld tuner witch is recommended for simple bolt-ons mods. I just bought a handheld tuner because all mods I've done are K&N cai and borla atak cat-back exhaust. So my point is unless you're gonna be doing some serious mods the handheld tuner works just fine.
tarik1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
1. k n is not the best for this application but it should work ok.

2. yes. computer tune. YES a tune will void the warranty. As other poster said, a handheld or dyno tune is what ppl are talking about. I like dyno tunes myself.
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
timshifty

so what would be the best or better cold air intake?

what do you mean by dyno tuning? I know what a Dyno is but I thought all that does is give you horsepower readings?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:

what do you mean by dyno tuning? I know what a Dyno is but I thought all that does is give you horsepower readings?
We have a very popular CAI for this vehicle, and there are probably 100 threads on this forum about our products, testimonials from happy customers, dyno results, etc. The best part about a forum is the collected information it can provide, but you have to spend the time searching and reading, that's where you will get a lot of information from many people. If you have any specific questions regarding our CAI feel free to contact us and I would be happy to help you.

Tuning is all about reading data and making adjustments. A dyno tune is using the Dyno to get the data needed (much more than just HP ratings), making tuning adjustments, and using the dyno to data log again to see how your tune adjustments worked.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

Cold Air Inductions and Roto-Fab are the two that we prefer.

Dyno tuning is basically tuning the car while it is on a dyno so you can make adjustments based off of the data you are getting from the dyno. It is fine tuning it for maximum results.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
timshifty

so what is going to be the difference between those CAI and the K&N I have?

I think I get the dyno tune now,you would use the handheld and make adjustments based on the dyno results?

whats the best handheld to use?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
they will use a laptop for a dyno tune. I think.
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
so what is going to be the difference between those CAI and the K&N I have?

I think I get the dyno tune now,you would use the handheld and make adjustments based on the dyno results?

whats the best handheld to use?
Here's a link with lots of information regarding our CAI: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260677

With a dyno tune you have it adjusted right then and there when its on the Dyno. So the car is on a dyno and does a pull, the tuner makes adjustments, does another pull, makes adjustments again, etc. A handheld is another tool that you would use when your not tuning on a dyno.

Asking what is the "best" handheld is going to get you many different answers, I suggest you do some searching and reading and a little research on them all. Again, you will get a lot better information searching and reading the forum as opposed to just asking a question for what's the best and getting different answers from whomever happens to be online the day you post.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Hott12SS

CAI, Roto-Fab, and ADM are your top 3 intakes, IMO and in no particular order. I have the ADM intake and I love it. Both the ADM and CAI feature an enclosed air box to keep intake air cooler. The Roto-Fab is designed to seal against the hood for the same purpose.

A handheld tuner will never beat a dyno tune. But, if a handheld is what you want, SCT makes a trusted handheld. HpTuners is great too, but requires some tuning knowledge. A tune is only as good as the tuner.

Also, if you're looking to retain you factory warranty, I would avoid a tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
If you already have the K&N just use it. Yes there are better but your not going to see a huge improvement. Use the money on some other mod.

As for the tune. If you can afford to fix your car out of your pocket if something goes wrong, then get a tune once you get enough mods that require it.

I had cam, headers, cai, new full exhaust and tune done when my car only had 3,000 miles on it.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
BTW is your car auto or manual? if I missed it in a post sorry.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
timshifty

manual

i think i will just keep the K&N. The others looks close to the same all but a enclosed box and scoop on the CAI one.

I was thinking Borla catback S-type next, then maybe VMAX throttle body. i dont want to do anything that is going to void my factory warranty...yet...
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
TuscaniGTSC2

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Honestly catback are a whole lot of money for just some sound and not so much performance. I would go with a set of High Flow Solo Cats to gain some good sound and performance. If your willing to do headers that will gain you even more performance and sound as well. The stock catback sounds really good with either of these two options. If you want sometime, I live in Fort Wayne as well, I can show you what mine sounds like with headers, high flow cats and a stock NPP catback.
TuscaniGTSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote