Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #1191
willoverkill

Drives: Fast
Hi guys! Found your discussion, hope you don't mind my joining in.

The LFX throttle body and the 80mm kit that I've developed won't backfit to the older computers and vice versa. As you can tell the wiring connectors are different, and after a lot of back and forth and testing while developing the LFX kit, there was just no way for the LFX computer to operate most older throttle bodies and it should be the same vice versa there'd be no way for the older computer to operate the LFX style throttle body.

Here's the 76mm throttle body I have for the LLT (76.5mm to be exact). It's not off of the G8 V6 but I use it to upgrade both the LLT and LY7. A few minor modifications are required on my end. It has the same lips in the bore that the LLT unit has that can be ported out, I don't offer that service yet but have done it in the past, requires breaking through the casting just a little and refilling the cavities you see with some epoxy or weld to get the best results, but its still a nice upgrade on its own.

willoverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #1192
willoverkill

Here's another example of a throttle body that I worked on this past summer. This unit is 81mm IIRC. It wasn't going to play nice with the LFX computer, unfortunately. I also tried quickly on the LY7 and didn't seem like it will work there either, threw a P2173.

I haven't ruled it out completely, needs further testing. It's a VDO brand unit rather than the Hitachi and the electronics are different, the signals may be too different to resolve, but I do have adapter plates and wiring harnesses all engineered to work on the LLT/LY7 that will otherwise go to waste.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #1193
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by willoverkill View Post
Here's another example of a throttle body that I worked on this past summer. This unit is 81mm IIRC. It wasn't going to play nice with the LFX computer, unfortunately. I also tried quickly on the LY7 and didn't seem like it will work there either, threw a P2173.

I haven't ruled it out completely, needs further testing. It's a VDO brand unit rather than the Hitachi and the electronics are different, the signals may be too different to resolve, but I do have adapter plates and wiring harnesses all engineered to work on the LLT/LY7 that will otherwise go to waste.
Thanks for all the info. What kind of testing would be required for the 81mm unit?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #1194
willoverkill

Bolt it on, plug it in, see if it throws a P2173 code on you or not. Everything's all set up mechanically, its just a matter of whether the computer will operate the TAC module properly
Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #1195
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:

The LFX throttle body and the 80mm kit that I've developed won't backfit to the older computers and vice versa. As you can tell the wiring connectors are different, and after a lot of back and forth and testing while developing the LFX kit, there was just no way for the LFX computer to operate most older throttle bodies and it should be the same vice versa there'd be no way for the older computer to operate the LFX style throttle body.
When you are ready with the 80mm for the LFX will you have any test results on a mostly stock car to see the results? When do you think you will have it available for purchase?
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #1196
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Not at all, thanks for chiming in. You know more about what you sell than I do.

Sounds like the 76mm on the LLT may be the way to go.

I'll let you two hash it out from here on the TB upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #1197
MagnumForceGB

Also got my oil report back, looks like the engine handles this power well, or everything is worn out. This is using Royal Purple HPS 5w-30.

The part about getting the oil was trying to get it out of the oil dipstick tube, had to remove the tube and pull the oil that way.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #1198
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
You are brave, I never have had good luck with RP....
Old 01-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #1199
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
11.8 is impressive - keep up the good work
Old 01-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #1200
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
You are brave, I never have had good luck with RP....
Had to do at least 2 oil changes to see the results on the Camaro since I had been using Mobil 1 forever. The clean side catch can is bone dry, the dirty side has less than a teaspoon of oil in it after 5000 miles. No oil any where in my intake tract now. The Mustang's are both the same way but didn't require long since the oil was switched over when the cars were still new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
11.8 is impressive - keep up the good work
Thanks, going to keep working on it till I hit 10's. I also want to lift the front wheels off the ground.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #1201
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
IPF Camaro V6 vs Procharger Mustang V6 (Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Thanks, going to keep working on it till I hit 10's. I also want to lift the front wheels off the ground.

This thread will be my bible once I get my daily driver later this year. Gives me much hope for the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #1202
MagnumForceGB

Well this sucks, I got the MAP sensor that came with the LFX intake manifold wired up to supply a signal to my old stage 2 meth controller hoping to control the fuel solenoid for the extra nozzle. The Snow Performance VC-25 controller is voltage based, they start out supplying 6 volts and ramp up to 12 volts, not a PWM signal. I will have to see what my VC-50 does for a supply signal.

If I had to start over again I would probably go with Aqua-mist, they keep the pump going at full voltage to supply 160 PSI, then use a fast acting valve with a PUMP signal to control the meth supply.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #1203
MagnumForceGB

Almost got everything back together, decided to clean up a lot of wiring and also do a coolant reservoir relocation. I bought a Mishimoto one, now I have room to run a 3" charge pipe all the way, possibly a 3.5". Right now it goes through 2.5" half the time, causing problems with how much air I'm pushing through.

Should be able to get it running next week and see how the 7th nozzle works.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #1204
DGM

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS - Ashen Gray
Magnum was wondering a few things - are you running stock airaid filter/sock with your combo... im currently running 3.40 pulley and curious as you go down on pulley size if boost psi increases at lower psi, say like 3.40 pulls 4lbs boost @ 3500rpm will the 3.125 pull more at same rpm, right now im getting 11bs boost at 7,000 rpms. Im thinking of enlarging to 3inch pipe to throttle body and upgrading to 80mm throttle body... thoughts/opinions appreciated
"WIDOW" Overkill Edition w/Mace Cams,80mm tb,Jacfab spacer/ported intake,Alky Control,ARH off road pipes,SOLO custom system,3.91 gears, MGW,Phantom grilles,ZL1 appearance pkge, 3dCarbon vents, Lingenfelter hood and spoiler, PLX boost/wideband modules/gauge,ZL1 fuel pump,LF3 hpfp,DSS aluminum driveshaft,JPSS sway bars, Z28 replica wheels and CxRacing coilovers..
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote