Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Which is the better option for me?
4 Cylinder Turbo 29 38.67%
V6 46 61.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Back in 2009, I pre-ordered my 2010 Camaro and got it at 19 years old. It was a V6 2LT/RS in ABM with black leather interior and sunroof. I was absolutely in love with it.

However, it was a bit of an impulse decision and I couldn't really afford it after I had been mis-quoted on the insurance. I had to trade it in 2 months later and I've missed it dearly ever since. :(

I'll be turning 25 in August and I'll be graduating college next May (I changed my major a few times/took time off). I'm in a little bit of a better financial position than I was back then (and I'll be making more money once I graduate) and I desperately want a 2016 in Hyper Blue Metallic.

I definitely want to get a model this time that is a bit cheaper, so I'm thinking of settling for a 1LT/RS (leather is not a necessity for me this time around).

However, I've been seeing a lot of people saying that the turbo 4 cylinder might be a better option than shelling out the extra money for the V6. Keep in mind, this car will be my daily driver.

Any thoughts on the 4 cylinder vs. the V6?
If you're not going to mod it, get the V6. The dual mode exhaust is an option on the V6, but not the T4, in case you were interested in that.

You going auto or manual?
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #16
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
If you're not going to mod it, get the V6. The dual mode exhaust is an option on the V6, but not the T4, in case you were interested in that.

You going auto or manual?
Auto.
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Auto.
I have an '11 V6 Auto, and absolutely love it for my daily driver. The Gen6 is going to be even better. My V6 has 312HP, and the new one is 335. Plus the new auto is an 8spd over the 6spd I have. It took a little getting used to using the paddle shifters (I only use them once in a while), but once I did, I stopped missing the manual altogether. Now that the automatics are faster, and the paddle shifters became second nature in the same way a stick is second nature for me, I will never go back.

I would have loved to be able to get the Dual Mode Exhaust, but it wasn't available back then. Now you can get that with the V6 (in either transmission). I absolutely love the blue you are thinking of getting. Are you going with silver or black wheels?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedViking View Post
I think the Turbo Four is going to be a fun car. With a zero to sixty time "well below six seconds" you're getting a lot for your money. That's what I'm thinking about, but wait a year or so, I think there are some other options coming. All Wheel Drive, probably a Twin Turbo V6 I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
TT V6 is not likely until FE forces it. The LF3/4 are essentially the same as LS3/LT1 for HP. There is no need for the huge cost hit for 3 more cams, 8 more valves and two turbos and an intercooler.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
I've been in corporate sales for 19 years. I have no college degree and started as a temp doing data entry. I have been in a sales leadership position for the last 15 years and hold a VP position in a fortune 50 company. Please help me understand, what the degree brings to the table that is going to make you a better performer in your current position than you already are? From where I sit, if you are good at what you do and I want to retain your services, I will offer you that raise whether you have a degree or not. A college degree does not equal a better employee or ensure any increase in production, in my experience.

How much did you spend to get the degree? Is the raise you are getting going to cover the cost of the education it seems you felt was required in order to get it?
LOL if you are a VP at a Fortune 50 company you know the answer to this......unless you are defending your lack of degree. I have this conversation all the time with people...............that don't have degrees.

Getting a college degree if nothing else shows you can apply yourself to a long term, difficult task and deliver. The longer term view is, at least in my field, it teaches and trains a technical thought process and problems solving skills that are required for the job.

Yes, these can be obtained with on the job training, but all things being equal why wouldn't I hire the college graduate over a non college graduate?? And in today's job market, you pretty much have that choice as an employer. My company for example requires a 4 year engineering degree to even be considered for an engineering position. So does GM, Ford, FCA, etc.

The reason, as you know, that he is getting the raise now is that his degree makes him much, much more marketable. The OP can go out and look for a job and complete for a job where the degree is the minimum requirement. Just being good at what you do and not having a degree in many fields will not land you a job. But of course you already know that.

So you are correct, without the degree, his employer could simply pay the OP for delivery. But his employer doesn't have to worry about departure because OP is less marketable.

30 years ago, I hired in to GM and yes there were engineers without degrees. They worked there way off the board from drafting/design to engineering positions. That simply isn't possible now.

Oh, and OP, go drive an ATS with the V6 and L4 turbo. You can make your decision based on that comparison. No need to wait. The V6 will be slightly better in the Camaro, but the L4 will be a real good comparison on how fun the car can be. Mrs. Number 3's ATS is 2.0T with AWD and it's quite fun.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
I've been in corporate sales for 19 years. I have no college degree and started as a temp doing data entry. I have been in a sales leadership position for the last 15 years and hold a VP position in a fortune 50 company. Please help me understand, what the degree brings to the table that is going to make you a better performer in your current position than you already are? From where I sit, if you are good at what you do and I want to retain your services, I will offer you that raise whether you have a degree or not. A college degree does not equal a better employee or ensure any increase in production, in my experience.

How much did you spend to get the degree? Is the raise you are getting going to cover the cost of the education it seems you felt was required in order to get it?
Here's your problem right there.

You got your job 19 years ago. You've been in some sort of management role for 15 years now. Today's job market is completely different. I can tell you for my position with state government, a college degree is required. I think the only loophole around it is a ridiculous amount of experience (talking 10+ years in the industry) or military service.

The days of "Oh I just walked in and asked the guy for a job, and I've been working there for 20 years now" are pretty much over. It's all about how well you can pack your resume and who you know.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Just another run of the mill, "should I buy a xxxx or yyyyy" thread turning into a discussion on career planning and personal finances.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #22
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The reason, as you know, that he is getting the raise now is that his degree makes him much, much more marketable. The OP can go out and look for a job and complete for a job where the degree is the minimum requirement. Just being good at what you do and not having a degree in many fields will not land you a job. But of course you already know that.
I advanced to a engineer position with only an associates degree but decided to get the BSME degree through evening study for this reason. Within a few years of completing, doors for advancement opened and my salary doubled.

Without a degree, a significant portion of the market is closed to you. I learned a lot too.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #23
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

You got your job 19 years ago. You've been in some sort of management role for 15 years now. Today's job market is completely different. I can tell you for my position with state government, a college degree is required. I think the only loophole around it is a ridiculous amount of experience (talking 10+ years in the industry) or military service.

The days of "Oh I just walked in and asked the guy for a job, and I've been working there for 20 years now" are pretty much over. It's all about how well you can pack your resume and who you know.
Different world today than it use to be. I rose to a plant superintendent by the time I was 30 with only a high school diploma. Today you better have a college degree for any management job. Now it's education over common sense and hard work that counts. Been retired over 11 years now and still a kid that loves sports cars.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #24
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I think the question should be asked...how much do you want to spend?

The base car with turbo 4 is likely going to start around 23,500 to 24,500 range. V6 option will likely come with a few more basic options and start around 26,000+.

A V6 with the RS package, 1LT (no leather), automatic transmission is likely going to be in the 29 - 30 range or greater. The MSRP on my 2010 1LT V6 with RS, and a few interior upgrades (stereo and convenience package) brought the MSRP up to over 29K. You can bet this time around its going to be even more expensive so I'd expect 30K for that or more.

So does 30K or slightly more fit with your costs planning? If not, you might want the turbo 4, which should end up being a little cheaper.

I'm planning on either a mostly loaded 2LT V6 or a 1SS. I'm expecting the 2LT/RS/automatic to be at least 33K or more. If it comes out under that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

As for performance, the V6 is going to be slighter faster....moreso as the rpms pick up and the speeds increase. But driving around the city and in short 0 - 60 bursts the turbo 4 shouldn't be much behind the V6. Maybe a few tenths in 0 - 60 if that.

The V6 (with dual mode exhaust) will sound better for sure.

If you plan to mod....the turbo 4 with just a tune will gain a lot of performance....mostly a ton of torque. The V6 on the other hand should be capable of 350 HP or so with 2 or 3 basic bolt ons....and maybe even more with a tune.

Best of luck!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #25
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
I would drive both before I made a decision. They gave me a turbo 4 ATS while my other car was in the shop and it was peppy but I didn't like it.
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

It depends on your industry and what your skills are. If your skills are in high enough demand and you know what you're doing, you can get a job without a college degree. Especially if your competition has done p*ss-all with their time in education and are simply "degreed idiots".

The following story was very influential in the way I go about hiring software engineers:

http://braythwayt.com/posterous/2014...ky-people.html

Now here's the trick: There's a 30% deficit in qualified software engineers and ~50% of those who enter computer science drop out or fail. Of those left, only a small percentage will ever add up to quality material.

With a market like that one can argue that spending your time online learning everything you can about how to be a top notch engineer is a better use of your time and money. It's the path I took, but I have to warn you: It's not for the feignt of heart. REAL commitment is necessary to go this path. You will always be fighting to get that much better, and for some people it will never be enough. You must be willing to take severe criticism, say thank you, and come back 10,000x stronger because you extracted useful information from what was intended to be a put-down.

That being said, if your chosen industry does not have a qualified candidate problem then your competition is much stiffer. A degree may be a very important point of competition.

There's no right or wrong answer here. Simply that you either have to understand the market you're entering or you have to roll the dice. If you do understand the market, you can make smart decisions about how to approach entry and enployment. If you don't understand it, a degree is the best way to roll the dice that exists today.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #27
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I have an '11 V6 Auto, and absolutely love it for my daily driver. The Gen6 is going to be even better. My V6 has 312HP, and the new one is 335. Plus the new auto is an 8spd over the 6spd I have. It took a little getting used to using the paddle shifters (I only use them once in a while), but once I did, I stopped missing the manual altogether. Now that the automatics are faster, and the paddle shifters became second nature in the same way a stick is second nature for me, I will never go back.

I would have loved to be able to get the Dual Mode Exhaust, but it wasn't available back then. Now you can get that with the V6 (in either transmission). I absolutely love the blue you are thinking of getting. Are you going with silver or black wheels?
I think silver as of now. Are black something you have to buy aftermarket?
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #28
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
I think silver as of now. Are black something you have to buy aftermarket?
According to the 2016 Camaro Playbook (link:http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409099), the black wheels are available on LT and SS models. Since you were considering the 1LT, you can get the black ones as an option. Take a look at the playbook, it has some great information about what is available, and you can see what the wheels look like, and what the exterior and interior colors are like.

I think I would prefer the silver wheels on the blue you were interested in. If I got the dark blue, I think the black wheels might be my preference.