Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #15
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I know the auto is faster but my first 4th gen ws6 was an auto that I upgraded with a 4400rpm stall, and my next 4th gen was a 6 speed z28. Both ended up heavily modified and while the auto shifted faster and hauled ass, I always miss the z28 more. My current car is an HHR SS with a 5speed and I can't imagine going back to auto. I love the torque on this hhr with the turbo! Lol
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I test drove two ZL1's an Auto and a Manual - granted the auto is not the same in the upcoming version (manual isn't either? but still 6 speed but w/Rev Match) - but driving the auto did nothing for me. Drove a manual next and wow, that was a blast.

I'm definitely on the Manual side of the fence - but if I have a chance to test drive the newest versions of each, that would be fantastic.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
I don't really care for the chore of driving a manual, but I've only ever owned one manual car. The active rev match has me intrigued though. Since I don't have a love for manual's like some, it will be a tough sell over a auto. I will probably test drive one though.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
I'm going for the auto in my SS. Been driving manual my whole life, it has no allure for me, and feels obsolete at this point. I get kind of sick of casual conversations with friends or acquaintances when 'oh you gotta get manual' or 'too bad that car isn't manual' is the standard thing to say over and over. Even if it isn't about my vehicle, haha. Times have changed and autos are fast now which is what I care about. Too many holdovers still thinking being able to drive a stick makes them a badass or something. If you feel like manual makes you in tune with the vehicle, great, and you should choose the manual since it will be more fun. But manual isn't the default superior option any more and it really doesn't reflect on who you are as a driver if you go auto, which is the faster, modern tech anyway.

8AT all the way for me, but options are great for those that want them!
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Face it, the auto is a better performance option. It won't be long before the younger generations wonders in disbelief how we used to use a level that stuck up from our transmissions to shift with. How crude.

But I've noticed that Jay Leno on his Garage show always mentions how he appreciates a manual gear box, and how in some markets Like European models you can't even get a manual anymore.

Technologically speaking, the auto is the way to go. But it will never replace the interaction with the car that driving a manual has. With a manual, drivers don't lift up on the gas, pull the stick, let out the clutch and drop the hammer to feel the engine pull the car. I was reading a review on a GTR the other day. The reviewer remarked on how boring driving the paddle shifting auto was in the car. The auto will be more functional, but the manual is a better driving experience.

It's comparable to driving a convertible or a motorcycle. They fundamentally lack in creature comfort, but that is the whole idea. People buy them anyway.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #20
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Everybody has their own opinion on an auto or manual trans. Like someone said before doesn't matter if the auto is faster I will always own an manual sports car. The driving experience to me is much more engaging than a automatic. Leave automatics for trucks and family cars.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #21
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Everybody has their own opinion on an auto or manual trans. Like someone said before doesn't matter if the auto is faster I will always own an manual sports car. The driving experience to me is much more engaging than a automatic. Leave automatics for trucks and family cars.

Amazing how nobody ever thought someone would be saying exactly what you are saying. When it used to be the complete opposite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #22
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
This 1LE I have is the only manual car I've ever owned. Had a 1987 Iroc as well, obviously auto only in that car. The joy reason I have the manual is there is no option. For the 1LE. The main two reason I plan to stay away from the auto in the gen6 is the auto overheats quickly on the track in the C7 and the M6 will have rev matching. If the A8 didn't overheat and was an option for the future 1le I would highly consider it by that rev matching is pretty awesome, even though I've master the Art of heel toe. Maybe because my nickname is toehead?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #23
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
It's a shame no DCT is offered. It is a nice compromise and is no slower and maybe faster than an automatic.

It would make my choice easy if it were offered in the CA6.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #24
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
I thought I was dead set on a M6, but after reading this thread, I'm unsure again. I guess I'm really gonna need to test drive the A8 to get a true sense of it, and if it will be too boring and not engaging enough as the slush box - 4 auto I had in my 2005 GTO. The active rev match in the M6 is something I want to experience, and may be a deciding factor.

somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #25
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I'm going with the auto because the car will be my daily driver, and I have no desire to row gears every day.

I also like the AFM for the highway portion of my commute. The remote start is just the icing on the cake.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #26
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
All the super cars with flappy paddles don't seem to have any issue.

In all honesty I track an auto and have a blast. Remote start is clutch in any environment hot or cold. Pimping your car from the third building of class and it be warmed or cooled down is one of those life is nice extra things.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #27
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
This article has me leaning toward the manual (where they tracked both auto&manual and manual was a little quicker on a track): http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/

The manual will also be ~$1800 cheaper! For 1/4 mile racing, the auto should have a slight edge on the manual though.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
This article has me leaning toward the manual (where they tracked both auto&manual and manual was a little quicker on a track): http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/

The manual will also be ~$1800 cheaper! For 1/4 mile racing, the auto should have a slight edge on the manual though.
I will be going with the manual. Being cheaper makes it that much better !

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote