Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #29
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
this topic seems oddly familiar.

OH RIGHT IT'S BEEN DISCUSSED 100 TIMES...that's why.
Hey man... this is Gen6. We have to start all over with everything that has been asked about the Gen5. Loosen up those fingers!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #30
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Hey man... this is Gen6. We have to start all over with everything that has been asked about the Gen5. Loosen up those fingers!
Yes, what he said.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #31
bobby97z

Drives: 06 Civic (not for long) Retired 97z
I think it looks awesome!!
I would love t-tops again or even targa may look better.
That's the only thing for me that has held me back from buying a 5th gen. I have considered a vette but not as practical for a daily driver with kids
bobby97z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #32
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
If they can make a convertible Camaro they certainly can make a T top Camaro or a targa top Camaro, no problem.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #33
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
If they can make a convertible Camaro they certainly can make a T top Camaro or a targa top Camaro, no problem.
No, because T-top cars are classed as coupes and are subject to the same crash and roof crush regulations as coupes. The structural element over the the door is integral in meeting those regulations.

Targa are classed as convertibles which have less stringent requirements. Getting a targa done when there is already a coupe & convertible (or at least intentions for both) shouldn't be too hard. Though one issue I can think of on the Camaro is just how, exactly, would you get a targa roof inside the trunk? The roof looks pretty wide, while the trunk seems somewhat narrow (and the opening small). I guess you could probably put it in the back seat. Or leave it at home & hope it doesn't rain.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No, because T-top cars are classed as coupes and are subject to the same crash and roof crush regulations as coupes. The structural element over the the door is integral in meeting those regulations.

Targa are classed as convertibles which have less stringent requirements. Getting a targa done when there is already a coupe & convertible (or at least intentions for both) shouldn't be too hard. Though one issue I can think of on the Camaro is just how, exactly, would you get a targa roof inside the trunk? The roof looks pretty wide, while the trunk seems somewhat narrow (and the opening small). I guess you could probably put it in the back seat. Or leave it at home & hope it doesn't rain.
Do you recall the Solstice coupe? It had a targa with NO onboard stowage. You had to leave it home. They offered a folding canvas top you could take with you.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #35
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Which = skyrocketing insurance costs. No thanks.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #36
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
The topic has been discussed exhaustively on this very forum...the Camaro6 forum.

But carry on.

I'm shocked Number 3 hasn't blown a gasket stating the same thing over and over and over.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #37
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvr6 View Post
like this ?
Needs pop-up headlights too!!
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #38
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:

I disagree I feel the engineers could make a modern T-top work. Modern manufacturing technologies with modern alloys and composites are making almost anything possible .
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #39
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Any one whose desire for T-tops is so adamant should exercise their freedom of choice and order a t-top vehicle from a GM competitor. Unless that is done in mass numbers Chevy will not consider offering T-tops.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
I disagree I feel the engineers could make a modern T-top work. Modern manufacturing technologies with modern alloys and composites are making almost anything possible .
You are correct. Given enough capitl, enough piec price increase and enough time, I can do it.

But please everyone that wants T-tops start list everything you want. Bolt in ok? Probably not. 60 pounds per panel? Also likely a no.

So if you want them easy to use, easy to store, you will add so much cost younwouldnt want them.

Would you pay $10,000 for them? Better have thousands say yes for the business case to work.

So yes, I've run the test and yes I've engineered the solution to get cars to pass this test. T-tops would be very nearly impossible to productionize at anywhere near an affordable cost.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #41
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Any one whose desire for T-tops is so adamant should exercise their freedom of choice and order a t-top vehicle from a GM competitor. Unless that is done in mass numbers Chevy will not consider offering T-tops.

Laborsmith
Does this even exist?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #42

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Maybe those who want T-Tops or Targa Tops should just join the All Wheel Drive band-wagon....Just lobby for AWD, but only if T-Tops are included.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote