Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #127
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
The 7speed center point distance is 85mm and the 6speed's is 81mm. If 85mm is larger or longer in size than 81mm than that would be one measurement to consider.

I have no idea what center point distance means.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #128
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
And I find it hard to believe that size was the reason. I could never find an official length on the M7 vs M6, but surely the A8 is longer to begin with because it has a TC.
If you have the Velocity network check out the show "How it's Made: Dream Cars". They might even have the Stingray episode streaming on their website. They show the Corvette being built. You wouldn't know where the TC is located.

Don't forget, in the Corvette the gearbox is in the rear, integrated with the differential. The driveshaft connects directly to the crankshaft of the engine.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #129
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I don't see why a 7 speed is needed. 6th gear for me is only for 60mph and above. If your talking about the 1/4 mile, I would think the auto would be faster. Now in the '69 Camaro that I once had with the 456 gears, 4th gear was about 40 mph, it need more gears if you wanted to go down the highway!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #130
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If you buy a 6MT you can shop for a 7MT at a junkyard out of a totaled Stingray. If you can swap it with the 6 without modifying the chassis we'll know the truth.
True, but will be awhile before anyone will be able to test that scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I don't see why a 7 speed is needed. 6th gear for me is only for 60mph and above. If your talking about the 1/4 mile, I would think the auto would be faster. Now in the '69 Camaro that I once had with the 456 gears, 4th gear was about 40 mph, it need more gears if you wanted to go down the highway!
Based on what the C7 owners have been saying, I agree. I don't think it's needed since it's just double overdrive. That to me would be a good reason to not offer the M7. More enthusiasts will buy M6s and they won't really concerned with MPG. Where as more A8 cars will probably be DDs and people would consider the MPG boost worth it.

To me it just seems crazy to tailor 70% of a chassis to the Camaro application, but oops we didn't make enough room to have the M7. The ATS was designed before the M7, so I can see more a reason size would be an issue there but not the 6th gen.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #131
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Lightbulb

For range, you missed the free Supercharger part...
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

As for power outages, a natural gas generator makes a ton of sense, natural gas is almost never experiencing an outage. Better choice than a gasoline one for stationary applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I couldn't visit my Grandmother with that range, you can keep it. I would have to bring an extra long extension cord to charge at a rest area! After Katrina, power was down for a number of days, you would be screwed, unless you had a generator.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #132
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Ha, they did indeed anticipate my complaint. Seems like kind of a lame excuse, though. Basically: "5th gen owners don't care about rear visibility, so screw off. Or buy the sonar package."
Yes, wonder what sales would be if they made visibility better. It is not just rear visibility. Dang you can not even see the sky out the side bunker slot and rearward 3/4 sightline is not there. and first at a red light? One is very, very short or ducking to see the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
I applaud them for sticking to their guns. They aren't going to sacrifice their design aesthetic for something their studies show isn't a big sticking point to their customer base.
Like the 5 Camaro owners are all going to upgrade? With GMs thinking they are only concerned about selling to the 5th owners?

Lame excuse. the stang has a nice fast back look and visibility. The beloved 69 Camaro had tons of visibility. the chop top was just the Cali designers hook. and he was not a tall person. If I sound fired up it is that I really want another V8 muscle car (Camaro) and this is a deal breaker to me like on the 5th.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #133
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
LOL @ visibility... Drive one of these cars long enough and it's not an issue at all.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #134
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
LOL @ visibility... Drive one of these cars long enough and it's not an issue at all.
I agree, with any vehicle you have to get used to it.