Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
RJZJR

Drives: in progress 3rd Gen BBC 4L80e fab 9
2016 camaro + others to come??

New camaro ...not only performance car coming? THIS IS A COPY FROM THE WEB ARTICLE...(The new 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will make its public debut May 16 on Detroit's Belle Isle, General Motors Co. said today. The sixth-generation Camaro is the first version of the muscle car that will be built in Lansing.
The Detroit carmaker is planning a daylong event to celebrate the reveal with roughly 1,000 of Camaro's biggest fans.
By unveiling Camaro outside of an auto show, GM will focus attention squarely on its popular performance car. It also will mark the return of the iconic American muscle car to the United States.) Mabye I'm reading into it but... first version ok ok what does that mean second version another RWD car ...more performance rwd car coming... hope someone can chime in.:
RJZJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
RJZJR

Lansing state journal ...paper I imagine ...hope it leads to more news
Old 04-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The 6th gen is literally the first version of the Camaro to be built in Lansing. That's all it means.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I read it as...this is the first Camaro built in Lansing, not that other performance or muscle cars are coming.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
What Fenwick said..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
RJZJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I read it as...this is the first Camaro built in Lansing, not that other performance or muscle cars are coming.
Missed a word version...another article on the Web about SS rwd replacement. Any prospects of Holden offering a rear-wheel drive V8 model in Australia after it axes Commodore production in 2017 now appear unlikely, following confirmation that GM will not produce a right-hand drive version of the next Camaro or a replacement for Holden's export Commodore, the Chevrolet SS.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity at the SEMA aftermarket show in Las Vegas last week, a senior GM executive told motoring.com.au that – like the latest C7 Corvette – the new 2016 Camaro will remain a left-hand drive model.

Resurrected after a seven-year hiatus, Chevrolet's two-door Camaro coupe and convertible model emerged in fifth-generation guise in 2009, produced in Canada and based on the same Holden-engineered Zeta platform as the Commodore.

Despite its Australian roots it was never produced in RHD, but that situation had been expected to change with the sixth-generation Camaro, which could emerge as early as January's Detroit motor show.

The MY2016 Camaro will be based on GM's newer rear-drive Alpha platform and built at its upgraded Lansing plant in Michigan, but GM now appears to have quashed plans for a RHD export version.

The GM executive said the RHD Camaro program has not been cancelled, but is now "highly unlikely", all but eliminating any hope of it becoming a direct rival for Ford's new Mustang in Australia.

Interestingly, he said this was a shame since Holden carried out chassis tuning for the new Camaro, and that GM is now looking closely at fitting the suspension and carbon brake package from the existing Camaro Z/28 to the Commodore-based Chevy SS/Commodore.

Similarly, the well-placed GM exec said there was no plan to produce a replacement for the Chevy SS after imports ceased from Australia at the end of 2017, which would leave Chevrolet without a large RWD sedan in US showrooms.

The Chevy SS was launched as Chevrolet's first rear-drive V8 sedan in 17 years and the basis of its high-profile NASCAR campaign in 2012.

More importantly for Australians, the lack of a Chevy SS replacement means Holden will cease to offer any RWD V8 sedan in Australia – despite the fact V8s currently comprise a sizeable 37 per cent of Commodore sales.

That's because the Commodore's replacement will almost certainly be imported from Germany and based on Opel's next Insignia, which will remain a front- and all-wheel drive, four- and six-cylinder model.

Holden had been tipped to continue to sell a V8 RWD sedan beyond the current Commodore's demise in 2017 in the form of an imported replacement for the Chevy SS, built in the US.

Earlier, former Holden chief and now GM North America president Mark Reuss had courted a 'Zeta legacy' plan in which Holden would continue to build the 'Holden SS' in Adelaide and sell it alongside the imported Commodore, which may or may not continue the Commodore name. Here's hoping
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The original plan was to ship 6th gens to Australia.

Badged as Holdens.

Not sure if that's changed. There's been an ongoing rumor about a V8 performance coupe for Holden.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
RJZJR

Found this on GM AUTHORITY..
Sign In
GM Authority

2016 Chevrolet Camaro Is Our New York Auto Show Surprise
BY GM AUTHORITY STAFF — APR 1, 2015
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS Steel Wheels

Today, during the 2015 New York Intercontinental Automobile Convention, Chevrolet rolled the 2016 Malibu off the stage to make room for the 2016 Camaro. Apparently they just couldn’t bottle up their excitement any longer.

Above is an official photo of the new Camaro, which is all-new, and nothing like the old Camaro. You may think it is the same Camaro, but it is not. It is a new Camaro.

The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will come in three trim levels at launch: Rental, Bro, and Eat My Nuts Mustang (pictured). All of which were conjured up in focus groups. Expect more variants, such as a 6×6 shooting brake, and an SS version in the near future featuring the new LT1 Small Block V8.

“The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro is everything a Camaro owner wants. And Mustangs suck. Like, every time I see a Mustang owner, I usually throw my warm Diet Coke sitting in my cupholder right at them in blind fury and rage,” said Al Aprilfirstenson. Aprilfirstenson also mentioned that the first 1,000 buyers on the waiting list will be treated to free tickets to a Godsmack concert. Or Nickelback, if they ask nice enough.

Specifications were not provided in detail, but were described as “faster than the Mustang, don’t worry about it.”

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/04/...#ixzz3WGAoFDHi. (Was an April's fools joke ...sorry)
Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
That was an April Fools Joke...
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #10
z928

Drives: 500SL, 928 GTS, E36 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The original plan was to ship 6th gens to Australia.

Badged as Holdens.

Not sure if that's changed. There's been an ongoing rumor about a V8 performance coupe for Holden.
Lets hope so there will be RHD but I doubt it since they said the next gen will not be for global release from what I read from news & GM insider..
z928 is offline   Reply With Quote