Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Got a few polishing questions..

I know this belongs in the other sub section for cleaning and what not, but there's more attention here, how often should I polish my car? I see those little swirl marks in there and I spray wax her about 2 times a week.. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...timate-polish/
How often should I use this on my car? One? I know I was told don't polish it often because it ruins your clear coat after a while. But what's the best stuff to keep my car clean? For the moment I use a cal duster to get the dust off and then detailer spray and then I spray wax her. Any opinions what you guys do? Move this thread if you've gotta.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
ex-SS-ve

If your polishing with a pc or similar orbital polisher. There really is no limit as any polishing you are doing is not abrasive. However when you get into a cut n buff with a rotary buffer you really begin to remove material. I say a good compound pass should really only have to be done once and if you properly detail your car you shouldnt have to chase swirls and scratches all the time.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
You may want to check out a car detailing forum. I belong to http://www.autopiaforums.com myself. You don't need to be a member to check out the detailing guides and such. There are a lot of great tips in the guides on that website.

Okay, polishing. A polish will remove a layer of clear coat but it is only a small fraction you are removing unless you are using aggressive pads and/or compound. I have used Meg's Ultimate Polish and it really isn't a glaze, it is more of a fine finishing polish. A glaze fills and usually a polish removes scratches. Also didn't realize the word glaze was even on the label. I use my car daily year round but I only polish once a year in the spring.

Without getting into details(pardon the pun) check out the detailing forum guides section to help eliminate those swirls from appearing and help in removing them.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
wax and wash all you want, but I wouldn't polish more than once a year. as the poster above said, it does in fact remove some of your clear coat. not much, but your clear coat is pretty thin.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
wax and wash all you want, but I wouldn't polish more than once a year. as the poster above said, it does in fact remove some of your clear coat. not much, but your clear coat is pretty thin.
I agree - polishing removes clear coat so you want to minimize the number of times you do it. Plus, it's a lot of work. Visit the detailing forum and get input from the pros. A good but maybe lofty goal would be to correct the paint once, and learn how to wash and protect so you don't have polish again.