Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Unhappy My dealer damaged my car.

Hello guys! So today I took in my Camaro to the dealership to install the GM front fascia extension. When I came to pick my car the Shop manager was waiting for me. He was very apologetic and sincere. He said they made a mistake with the lift and broke my stock side skirt. They said they will order a new one, paint it and make everything right for me. They didn't even charge me for my fascia installation.

My concern is...How could the lift damage just one side skirt? What should I keep an eye on besides making sure they match the paint right? Could there be more damage(structural) that I can't see or they could be unaware of?

Name:  IMG_5593.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  113.4 KB
Name:  IMG_5595.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  118.3 KB

Last edited by vet757; 01-14-2017 at 09:52 AM.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
This happened to another guy here. I'm sure soneone can post the link because it escapes me at the moment.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
Sounds like the "tech" didn't use the proper lift location.
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
BrandonBell

Drives: Hyper Blue Metalic gen 6
The lift arms have extentions that go to lift points on the car and one could have not been in the right position causing the arm to make contact with the side skirt and possibly lift your car with it. I would watch door alignment when they are done. Sucks man definitely have them throw in some oil changes lol
BrandonBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
Lasto

Drives: 16' 2SS TPP/MRC/A8 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
Sounds like the "tech" didn't use the proper lift location.
Yup my thoughts exactly. He got it right on one side but not the other. I doubt that you will have to worry about anything structurally. I would imagine it would just be a cracked skirt. What I would look at closely is to make sure the paint is blended correctly. Ensure that the paint matches from the front bumper to the rear bumper.
To bad this happened, but at least the dealership seems to be making it right. Good Luck!
Lasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Look closely at the alignment between the lower portion of the front edge of the door and fender, and compare both sides.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
This happened to another guy here. I'm sure soneone can post the link because it escapes me at the moment.
I remember that, but don't ever recall the resolution.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
It happened to me. They replaced it and had to try twice to get everything aligned to my satisfaction. just check the alignment and gaps with the panels around it and compare the other side of the car for reference. The thing that sucks is that my GM service records online on the car show that it was in the body shop, but doesn't describe why. I need to have them fix that.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Amazing that theae dealerships are so damn clueless!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
JeffInDFW
Camaro owner for 29 years

Drives: 96 Viper GTS/09 Sky Redline/95 Z28
Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine TX let a parts cart roll into the side of my brand new car, leaving a long scratch that got the door and rear quarter.

Then, while changing spark plugs while trying to resolve a slight miss, they dropped "a foreign object" into the engine, started it, and damaged the piston and head.

Then, to gain better access to the engine, they removed the hood and damaged it when they dropped it on a work bench corner.

Then, when I got it back, they did not secure the hood properly so when I got home with the car after over a month, the hood had slid backwards and when I opened the driver side door, the door caught on the hood, bending both the door and the hood. They had also forgotten to install one of the radiator hose clamps causing the car to barf coolant everywhere.

Then, in my driveway, when I open the hood to check the barfing coolant, I see that they cracked the driver side fender liner.

Then, when I changed my oil in my garage 100 miles after the engine was opened up, I find so much metal in the oil it looks like a 13 year old girls fingernail polish. I take a large sample in to them, and they tell me, "All used motor oil looks like that".

SO, I took in an almost new car. One that was so perfect that I asked the service advisor to do a walk around with me and note that my car did not have any door dings, nor any rock chips. The car I got back had every body panel except 2 repainted, and an engine that was trashed. It was still running, but it ran rough and was down on power. I was told, "We can't do anything unless it blows". The repainted panels ALL looked like garbage. Paint runs, and horrific body panel gaps.

OH, and my personal favorite.....they left my car parked outside for the entire weekend WITH THE TOP DOWN. I saw that storms were coming, so I was worried my car might get damaged by hail, so I drove to the dealership at night to check to see if my car was outside. Sure enough, after hours, all service people gone, and there is my car in a fenced area WITH THE TOP DOWN.

I fought them so long, I finally just gave up. As long as they were willing to keep fixing their damage, GM wouldn't help. The service manager Mr. Zorn finally told me, "If it was my car, I would sell it". yeah, no crap.

SO, I took a massive bath trading in my car I had purchased brand new. Every dealership that looked at it asked if it had been wrecked. Classic Chevrolet is lucky they did this to me when I was at a time in my life where I had so many bad things going on, that I did not have any fight left.

BTW, all of my story was documented in real time with photos in a thread on the Saturn Sky Forum.

Last edited by JeffInDFW; 01-13-2017 at 09:44 PM.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
My cars are not going back to the dealership period. Not even for a recall.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #12
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
WTF!!! I am sorry you went through all that, I can't believe GM did not help. All I can say damn. I will stay clear of them when I am ready to purchase again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine TX let a parts cart roll into the side of my brand new car, leaving a long scratch that got the door and rear quarter.

Then, while changing spark plugs while trying to resolve a slight miss, they dropped "a foreign object" into the engine, started it, and damaged the piston and head.

Then, to gain better access to the engine, they removed the hood and damaged it when they dropped it on a work bench corner.

Then, when I got it back, they did not secure the hood properly so when I got home with the car after over a month, the hood had slid backwards and when I opened the driver side door, the door caught on the hood, bending both the door and the hood. They had also forgotten to install one of the radiator hose clamps causing the car to barf coolant everywhere.

Then, in my driveway, when I open the hood to check the barfing coolant, I see that they cracked the driver side fender liner.

Then, when I changed my oil in my garage 100 miles after the engine was opened up, I find so much metal in the oil it looks like a 13 year old girls fingernail polish. I take a large sample in to them, and they tell me, "All used motor oil looks like that".

SO, I took in an almost new car. One that was so perfect that I asked the service advisor to do a walk around with me and note that my car did not have any door dings, nor any rock chips. The car I got back had every body panel except 2 repainted, and an engine that was trashed. It was still running, but it ran rough and was down on power. I was told, "We can't do anything unless it blows". The repainted panels ALL looked like garbage. Paint runs, and horrific body panel gaps.

OH, and my personal favorite.....they left my car parked outside for the entire weekend WITH THE TOP DOWN. I saw that storms were coming, so I was worried my car might get damaged by hail, so I drove to the dealership at night to check to see if my car was outside. Sure enough, after hours, all service people gone, and there is my car in a fenced area WITH THE TOP DOWN.

I fought them so long, I finally just gave up. As long as they were willing to keep fixing their damage, GM wouldn't help. The service manager Mr. Zorn finally told me, "If it was my car, I would sell it". yeah, no crap.

SO, I took a massive bath trading in my car I had purchased brand new. Every dealership that looked at it asked if it had been wrecked. Classic Chevrolet is lucky they did this to me when I was at a time in my life where I had so many bad things going on, that I did not have any fight left.

BTW, all of my story was documented in real time with photos in a thread on the Saturn Sky Forum.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
SRSTAdam21

Drives: 2017 SS-Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet757 View Post
Hello guys! So today I took in my Camaro to the dealership to install the GM front fascia extension. When I came to pick my car the Shop manager was waiting for me. He was very apologetic and sincere. He said they made a mistake with the lift and broke my stock side skirt. They said they will order a new one, paint it and make everything right for me. They didn't even charge me for my fascia installation.

My concern is...How could the lift damage just one side skirt? What should I keep an eye on besides making sure they match the paint right? Could there be more damage(structural) that I can't see or they could be unaware of?

I will post pics of the damage tomorrow morning.

What dealership was it?
SRSTAdam21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet757 View Post

I will post pics of the damage tomorrow morning.

Good on them making it right and even not charging you for the extension install. Sounds like the tech working on it is way to used to lifting most vehicles by the pinch weld, something you can't do on a Gen 5 or Gen 6 Camaro safely ever. The rockers wrap over the pinch weld, and are slightly lower than it as well. I can see exactly how/what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, dealer, lift, side skirt