Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #15
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
When I drive long distances I tend to adjust my seat differently than my every day driving position. Move the seat a tad closer, seat back up a little more and vary hand positions. Try using the arm rests, your legs, etc to not tire and put strain on your neck.

I have put over 10,000 miles on my Camaro in a month so I know what you mean.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Been driving since 1967, many long distance drives of up to 26 hours. After the first 6-hours important you stop and walk around for at least 15 mins. Change seat and steering wheel adjustments every few hours after each of your walk abouts. Get out of the car every two hours after the first six hours.

Reason for pain is your body is tensed when driving at high speed. Stop and get out of the car every few hours for about 15 mins. so your body can relax.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
When I was driving rigs, oh so many years ago, neck pain was a big problem. But, for the most part, moving your neck, and not simply maintaining that same position for an extended period, seems to help. Every few minutes, I'd tilt my head far forward, then I'd turn it to each side for a couple of minutes, then tilt my head to each side for a bit, then lean it as far back as I could and still have eyeballs on the road. Then I'd roll my head around, and so forth. Looked weird, I am sure, but I wasn't there to look pretty.

This helped to alleviate the issue.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I stop at every single rest area, and walk quite a bit. And stop early. I stop driving each day around dinner time. Get some good eats, and always stay at a nice place like a Hampton Inn, with a good pool. Swimming is great for everything. So is a better bed and plenty of sleep.

Take an aspirin a day starting a few days before trip and during. This will help blood flow. The biggest risk to a long drive is blood clots. You do not want!

That's why I stop frequently. Hours sitting in the same position is bad for a lot of stuff.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Thanks a lot for all the tips guys! I've moved around my seat a bit and it's helped a lot. I didn't realize how much a tiny adjustment would make a difference.

The journey has been good, I'm about an hour away from san Francisco now and working my way up the coastal Highway. Got an awesome video on my dash cam keeping up with a C5 Vette I'll try to upload to YouTube as well as pictures
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

My diet has been bad lol not eating much, just slamming back red bull and Marlboros
Old 12-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #21
RockerBox

Drives: 2010 Silverado. Stock height now
That would do it. Your body's fatigued and the red bull keeps you going long after you should be resting. Try getting a good nights rest at a hotel. Drink a couple glasses of water and then take a couple advil PM or melatonin. Get at least 8 hrs sleep.
RockerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #22
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Will do tonight. I got to the hotel a bit early so will take it as a chance to relax tonight
Old 12-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Just put it on cruise control and take a short nap...........you will be surprised at what that does for you......

JK...
Actually when I drive long distances I take short breaks every couple hours. Get out of the car and do some stretching and take deep breaths.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #24
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
I know the mountain pass to Flagstaff you spoke about. I nearly crapped my pants!!
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote