Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #155
ace32x

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
Lol there are hundreds of 750 whp z06s out there with blowers on them.. the pistons and bad intake valves are the weak link. Then after that's replaced 800 -1000 then the extremely thin cylinder walls become a big issue. .
^ this, thats why all the big power FI ones run iron blocks aswell
Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #156
mechanic1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
[QUOTE=The Baron;6350366]Lol there are hundreds of 750 whp z06s out there with blowers on them.. the pistons and bad intake valves are the weak link. Then after that's replaced 800 -1000 then the extremely thin cylinder walls become a big issue. .[/QUOTY
Yes, thanks......it was thin cyl. walls with a weak head gasket issue that I read about
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #157
1967rsss

Drives: 67, 68, 88, 98, 10, 12 ZL1 Camaros
As far as weight go's, I want to know if they are running the larger ZL1 axels and cast iron differential housing. I doubt it.

The Torsen differentials are weak and and don't like hard launch's on the drag strip.

Also it's probably running the single disc clutch.

Over all the brakes are improved but as many have said its a pure track car. I think GM is doing great giving us options. Personally I am very happy with my choice. My only real complaint, it should be priced lower than the ZL1. A 427 engine only costs a few thousand more than an LS3 to build. The clutch is the same price as the LS3. Non magnetic shocks are cheaper to make. Wheels and tires are same as 1LE and ZL1. Brakes more money. The real cost is in the development and certification.
1967rsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #158
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I just read in another thread that GM is not putting the axles and rear diff from the ZL1 into the Z/28 (not required for road course). They are not recommending the Z/28 for the drag strip.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #159
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967rsss View Post
As far as weight go's, I want to know if they are running the larger ZL1 axels and cast iron differential housing. I doubt it.

The Torsen differentials are weak and and don't like hard launch's on the drag strip.

Also it's probably running the single disc clutch.

Over all the brakes are improved but as many have said its a pure track car. I think GM is doing great giving us options. Personally I am very happy with my choice. My only real complaint, it should be priced lower than the ZL1. A 427 engine only costs a few thousand more than an LS3 to build. The clutch is the same price as the LS3. Non magnetic shocks are cheaper to make. Wheels and tires are same as 1LE and ZL1. Brakes more money. The real cost is in the development and certification.
Power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited-slip differential featuring a helical gear set, rather than traditional clutch packs. The new design enables the driver to apply more power and get through corners faster, by continuously adjusting the torque bias to maximize available traction.
The differential works in unison with Chevrolet’s proprietary Performance Traction Management system, which allows drivers to adjust the level of throttle and brake intervention to match their capability and driving environment.
Unlike some competitors’ “track package” offerings, the Camaro Z/28 makes standard all the cooling systems required for track use. This includes the dry-sump oiling system for the LS7, which is connected to an integral liquid-to-liquid cooling system for engine oil.
A second liquid-to-liquid system provides cooling for the transmission and differential. This system pumps overcooled transmission fluid to a heat exchanger in the rear differential before traveling to the transmission. This reduces differential temperatures as much as 100 degrees F.
Camaro Z/28 chassis delivers 1.05 g in cornering grip
The singular focus of the Camaro Z/28 is most evident in the chassis, where the most has been made of every component for track use, from the ultra-high performance tires to race-proven dampers.
“We used the very best components in the industry to deliver uncompromised performance, lap after lap,” said Mark Stielow, Camaro Z/28 engineering manager. “We made nearly 200 changes to improve the track performance, which cumulatively make the Z/28 capable of 1.05 g in cornering. For perspective, with all other things, equal increasing maximum grip from 1 to 1.05 g can cut up to four seconds per lap.”
The Camaro Z/28 is the one of the first production cars fitted with race-proven, spool-valve dampers. Compared to a conventional damper that offers only two-way tuning for bump and rebound, a spool-valve damper allows four-way adjustment to precisely tune both bump and rebound settings for high-speed and low-speed wheel motions. The wider tuning range allowed engineers to dramatically increase the damper stiffness on the Camaro Z/28 without a significant change in ride quality. Additional chassis changes include stiffer string rates and suspension bushings for improved cornering response.
The Camaro Z/28 features 19-inch diameter wheels and tires, which reduce unsprung weight by 42 pounds (19 kilograms) per car compared to the 20-inch wheels standard on Camaro SS and ZL1. In addition, the smaller diameter wheels lower the center of gravity by 33 millimeters, further improving handling.
At all four corners, the lightweight, forged aluminum wheels are wrapped in massive 305/30ZR19 tires. This is the first production application of ultra-high performance Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tires, and believed to be the widest front tire on any production car.
To fully exploit the grip of the Pirelli tires, the Camaro Z/28 also features Brembo Carbon Ceramic Matrix™ rotors and fixed, monoblock calipers. The large 394 x 36 mm front rotors are paired with six-piston calipers, while the 390 x 32 mm rear rotors are paired four-piston calipers. Compared to similar-size, two-piece steel rotors, the lightweight carbon discs save 28 pounds (12.5 kilograms) per car.
The combination of tire grip and braking power enable the Camaro Z/28 to achieve up to 1.5 g in deceleration. With standard front brake cooling ducts, the Z/28 is also capable of continuous track use unmatched brake feel, lap after lap.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #160
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
... LS7 is almost 2x the price of an LS3 when purchased as a crate motor.

... the Z28 tires and wheels are not the same as the 1LE/ZL1

... the rear window of a Z28 will be only for that model, thus higher price for that I'd bet.

... Carbon Ceramic Brakes are expensive.

...The Z28 will be expensive, but worth every penny of it for what it's made to do. Just like the ZL1 is worth every penny for what it is designed to do.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #161
wnt2gofst

Drives: all fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1 View Post
You cant really supercharge an LS7 properly due to the head design.......calloway does on the z06 but runs very low boost .....lot of talk on here about that ages ago
General rule is 5.5-6lbs boost and Z06's go boom. High compression kills boost on pump gas.

Just Another 700whp DD 5.0
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #162
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
atleast the z28 out handles and out powers the boss for now... wish they did the same for the zl1 against the gt500
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #163
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Z28 wheels are 42 lbs less than zl1 wheels overall.
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #164
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS

Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
ZL1 FTW
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #165
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ss View Post
Z28 wheels are 42 lbs less than zl1 wheels overall.
Less unsprung weight AND since they are 19", it lowers the center of gravity.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #166
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Supercharged LS7 Engine Build - Split Personality
Blending The LS7'S Displacement With The LS9's Blower Yields A 770hp Street Engine With A Jekyll-And-Hyde Character.
From the June, 2011 issue of GM High-Tech Performance
By Barry Kluczyk
Photography by Barry Kluczyk

It's the ultimate LS-engine "what if" scenario: Could the blower from the Corvette ZR1's LS9 engine be dropped on the larger-displacement LS7 found in the Z06? And wouldn't that create the ultimate "factory" combination? Enthusiasts started dreaming up this ultimate hybrid combination the second the LS9 was revealed to displace 6.2 liters, rather than the LS7's 7.0L size. That's a significant 13-percent difference in volume, but GM said it went with the smaller bores to ensure a safe, long-lasting powertrain-one that would be subjected to considerable boost pressure over its lifetime.
"On the OE side, all the considerations for 100,000 miles worth of durability must be considered," says an anonymous engineer we spoke with. "The power goals for the LS9 were reached with the smaller displacement, which offers thicker cylinder walls for greater safety margin, so there was no need to step up to the 7.0L displacement."

The standard cylinder block...
read full caption
That's a great textbook answer and we certainly wouldn't cast aspersions on the LS9's 638hp output, but when there's a larger-cube version of the same engine family, you just know the performance world wouldn't let the combination go untried. That would be like Dr. Frankenstein having both a spare brain and access to a graveyard, but passing on the opportunity. Brian Thomson isn't Dr. Frankenstein, but he's created more than his share of LS-based monster engines at his shop, Thomson Automotive, near Detroit. In fact, he's had great success melding the LS7 with the LS9 blower, developing basically a crate engine package-including a pre-programmed E67 controller-that delivers around 770 hp and 840 lb-ft of torque on pump gas.
"It's a sweetheart of a street engine," says Thomson. "It starts, idles, and has the low-speed drivability of a stock engine, but when you tap into it, it's amazing. With more than 800 lb-ft and the instant power delivery of the blower, it's an engine with two distinct personalities."

Machine work prior to assembly...
read full caption
OK, so maybe it's not Frankenstein's monster, but more of a Jekyll and Hyde engine. Regardless, we recently took the opportunity to sit in on the assembly and dyno-testing of one of these engines, which was destined for a Chevy S-10 project vehicle of New Yorker Joe Jones. It officially made 769 hp and 844 lb-ft, with a safe air/fuel ratio of about 11.4:1 under full boost. Thomson says that more aggressive tuning will easily yield 800 hp, but he leans on the conservative side of things for customers who will use the engine primarily for the street and only a few annual trips to the drag strip.
"The 20 or so horsepower we give up with a richer mixture are hardly missed when you've got 840 lb-ft to deal with and instant boost," says Thomson. "It's a no-brainer setup for pump gas, but you can certainly tweak it."

Of course, it was only a few years ago that even a 500hp street engine was newsworthy. The fact that Thomson is explaining why his engine "only" makes 770 horses on the street demonstrates how far we've come with LS engines and tuning.

Read more: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...#ixzz2OtIPsH7F
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #167
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
zL1 all the way
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #168
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Will one of the big wig GM insiders on this forum give us some straight talk please? Is GM gonna make me regret buying one of the first ZL1s? Will there be a refresh for the ZL1? I don't know about many of you, but I love the smoother look of the refreshed GenV, and those tailights are F!NG sexy. The ZL1 set a new standard when it was released with a redesigned front fascia, heat extractor, rear diffuser, spoiler, exhaust and ground effects BUT it was STILL THE SAME CAR!! They just added different plastic pieces. This refresh is much smoother and clearly more refined. If they refresh the ZL, then they are just a bunch of cruel auto A$$holes! I love my car and I don't think I want to jump in the market of buying and trading every time GM decides to 1UP themselves. SO please Scott or someone here with intimate knowledge; tell us that GM won't be screwing us few proud ZL1 owners.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote