Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #29
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just because you can .......................... doesn't mean you should.

You can drive it daily. But as everyone has mentioned you will for the most part suffer.

Even the awesome Z06 can be driven daily. But in traffic it is a bear. On the highway that wonderful exhaust becomes an annoying loud drone.

What makes a great track car and what make a great street car are two different worlds.
Even though one man's drone can be another man's music . . . I have to agree with you. In one day, 500 street miles in a Z/28 might make for a loooong day. The seats might be great, but 6th gear for hours, not so much.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #30
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingnai2 View Post
Hello guys, Im planning order a Z28 or ZL1 pretty soon, if I purchase the car this is the only car Im gona have, just wondering if is good for daily use, right now Im in between the ZL1 and the Z28, seems like ZL1 is a better daily driver because all the fancy stuff on it and also the car is not too low to the groud, I am planning on going to the track maybe once every 2 month, but I really like the look of the z28 better, so what do you guys think is the z28 gona be a good daily driver?
Zl1 would be better. But you can use the Z28 for that, but it would be more of a cost as far as breaks and tires. The tire cost is around $600 each.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #31
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
yes if I get one it will be daily driver and winter too. There was a post about the engineers taking it on a long drive and they said the recaros made it nice. So it might not be like butter but who cares..you can drive it every day but I agree the approach angle and pulling to close to things is something to constantly watch for.

Did I miss something...I read people say it has no carpets??? I believe it has much of the sound deadening removed and the only carpet removed is in the trunk???...or am I wrong.
It has carpet. Just no sound insulation in trunk.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #32
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I defy anyone that purchases a Z/28 to come back and say what a great idea it was to make a DD out of this car after they pay for their first set of tires and brakes. LOL.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #33
apr_gen5

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Yeh!
The 40 tread wear rated tires will pickup a lot of trash and throw it on to the car. Get a second set of wheels and street tires. Also, no AC will get old in SoCal, so I would check that option. For a week I did the commute from Anaheim to downtown LA; couldn't imagine doing that with a manual transmission car.
apr_gen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #34
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
People buying this car usually wont use them as DD because I can assume they are financially well off so this will just be a side toy or garage queen. But If I had the money for either fully loaded zl1 vs z28, def. I would get the z28 and drive it daily! Very limited production= unique camaro for years to come
Not true. I can afford another car easily, but choose to enjoy my car daily. If I wanted a garage queen or weekend toy, I'd get a Ferrari. This is a Camaro!! If I want a pristine 2013 ZL1 in the future, I'll buy one in 20 years. Let someone else be OCD with their car and I'll buy their ZL1. In the meantime, I look forward to my commutes!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #35
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
It will not be comfortable or practical as a daily driver.
None of this is practical or necessary…it’s all fluff. You don’t need a z/28 you need a car, carpool or a bike…you WANT a z/28…and I suspect with the recaros and a “normal” road and a radio and a/c it will be perfectly comfortable to make the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Right now Al O. is driving his Z/28 on the street and LOVING it. Even in the snow.Janet
great to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
But as everyone has mentioned you will for the most part suffer.
“Suffer”….really? Do you know what a “1st world problem” is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I defy anyone that purchases a Z/28 to come back and say what a great idea it was to make a DD out of this car after they pay for their first set of tires and brakes. LOL.
Should I get one, I will most certainly have another set of tires as soon as the factory set falls off…which might be only a few DE weekends and then try some hoosier a6s and will always have a street set ($250-300/tire NOT Pirelli) for 365 use and also as track “rains”. I will probably run the brakes for a few events then switch to stop tech steel rotors. I do NOT want to have to replace the rotor$. I met a guy last year that got a GT2 and that’s the first thing he did…it’s likely way more money on pcars. Has anyone found the price of the cc rotors yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
Not true. I can afford another car easily, but choose to enjoy my car daily. If I wanted a garage queen or weekend toy, I'd get a Ferrari. This is a Camaro!! If I want a pristine 2013 ZL1 in the future, I'll buy one in 20 years. Let someone else be OCD with their car and I'll buy their ZL1. In the meantime, I look forward to my commutes!
right on brother!!!

I will put the LIE up against the 405 anytime…you guys might have road rage with guns but we have special kind of mooks out here and insane traffic ALL THE TIME…anybody driven the Cross Bronx on a Friday?…it should be classified off road.…sure I will got to bed with a sore left leg so what…this is not a mclaren and way less than a regular 911 I think….people drive those year round….get some salt on her it builds character…lets her run she will love you more for it than a stupid cover and warm garage 350 days a year.

It’s special…have fun with it…loosen up…it’s all transient…maybe she’s great in the snow with tc mode -1.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #36
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
I graduate next May, and fully intend to be daily driving a Z/28 shortly thereafter. It's all about personal preference, but for me, I haven't needed any of the goodies in my last two Z's. I don't plan to need them with this one either. I started setting money aside for this car the day it was unveiled, price/options is not a deterrent for me.

I'd pick the Z/28 over the ZL1, but that is my .02.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #37
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
I think the z/28 would not be a dd for the street-the front spliter would be toast soon,I think it is really a track car.tracks do not have speed bumps and pot holes,plus the ride is stiff,they do look cool thought
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #38
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
What's many?
Auto, sunroof, stereo, sound deadening, I think nav, a real back seat, and most importantly Mag ride. No other Camaro rides as nice as a ZL1. I like the Z/28 and will get one when it is a year or so old and can buy it for the price I paid for my new ZL1, or when a dealer has one they can't sell and I can get the right deal on it. It is a really cool car but as a DD it isn't much better than my 71 Z.
I don't use my ZL1 as a DD, or any of my other cars for that matter, have a 2014 Malibu for that. My ZL1 is a six speed, no sun roof, and nobody will be in the back seat anyway, but would never want to give up the Mag ride.
2cnd Chance, your black Camaro is beautiful, one of the sharpest Camaro's I've ever seen.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #39
BigBoyBlue

Quote:
None of this is practical or necessary…it’s all fluff. You don’t need a z/28 you need a car, carpool or a bike…you WANT a z/28…and I suspect with the recaros and a “normal” road and a radio and a/c it will be perfectly comfortable to make the trip.

great to hear

Should I get one, I will most certainly have another set of tires as soon as the factory set falls off…which might be only a few DE weekends and then try some hoosier a6s and will always have a street set ($250-300/tire NOT Pirelli) for 365 use and also as track “rains”. I will probably run the brakes for a few events then switch to stop tech steel rotors. I do NOT want to have to replace the rotor$. I met a guy last year that got a GT2 and that’s the first thing he did…it’s likely way more money on pcars. Has anyone found the price of the cc rotors yet?

right on brother!!!

I will put the LIE up against the 405 anytime…you guys might have road rage with guns but we have special kind of mooks out here and insane traffic ALL THE TIME…anybody driven the Cross Bronx on a Friday?…it should be classified off road.…sure I will got to bed with a sore left leg so what…this is not a mclaren and way less than a regular 911 I think….people drive those year round….get some salt on her it builds character…lets her run she will love you more for it than a stupid cover and warm garage 350 days a year.

It’s special…have fun with it…loosen up…it’s all transient…maybe she’s great in the snow with tc mode -1.

Cross Bronx? You need a Ford Raptor on that road, not to mention all the nuts driving like NYC cab drivers on crack. I also always expected to be hit with a cinder block thrown from an overpass or a errant bullet!! Haha. Coming back from Yankee games was another miserable experience on the Cross Bronx. I'm from NY myself. I miss driving on Ocean Parkway and going well over 100mph there!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #40
BigBoyBlue

DD driver is all relative. Can you deal with it's harshness? I'm sure. It's better than the 1980 Chrysler LeBaron that I had as a DD in High School. It's better than the 1968 Mustang I had with holes in the floor that made me feel like I was driving a Flintstones' car.

Will it annoy you if you are used to a much better ride? Sure, but it's not like you are taking the bus.

The only reason I think the Z/28 would suck as a daily driver is that it would take a lot of abuse. The ZL1 was designed for the street and the track and can compensate better for shitty roads. Not much better, but better.

Enjoy whatever you buy. I know it is sacrilege here, but if you are going to spend $75k, I'd get a Shelby and upgrade the brakes. The Shelby has more clearance and won't get banged up as much as the Z/28. The other choice is to get a Stingray with the Z51, which will probably spank a Z/28 on the track and still leave you lots of cash for gas money. That is if you can deal with the two seats.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #41
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
If I buy one, it'll be a garage queen with occasional trips to the local drag strip just for giggles! Never a daily driver.

Last edited by titanfan; 03-08-2014 at 04:01 PM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

No, apparently I don't. Please enlighten all of us.

Or are simply trying to say that since we live in America you can't use the word suffer because relatively speaking unless you are starving, at war, oppressed by a brutal dictator, you can't suffer. If that is the case, you must have some interesting word choices.