Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #17151
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I believe the ZL1 1LE is what they wanted to build as a Z/28, but they don't have the engine. Either the power train engineers couldn't make it happen or the bosses wouldn't let Camaro get a stand alone engine, but I believe this would have been the Z/28 if they had an engine.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #17152
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
A rose by any other name...

A Z by any other name is still a Z.

The HouZe lives on!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #17153
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I believe the ZL1 1LE is what they wanted to build as a Z/28, but they don't have the engine. Either the power train engineers couldn't make it happen or the bosses wouldn't let Camaro get a stand alone engine, but I believe this would have been the Z/28 if they had an engine.
Thats not too dissimilar to what happened with the original 5th gen Z28. They came up with a great car, but the engine wasn't right for the Z28 name, so they went with ZL1 instead.

And then a few years later, the Z/28 appeared.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #17154
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A rose by any other name...

A Z by any other name is still a Z.

The HouZe lives on!

Long live the:
Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  21.7 KB
Old 02-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #17155
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Pretty impressive for sure!

Maybe the Z/28 becomes the Porsche 911R equivalent. A low volume pure drivers car??? Personally I prefer that over a FI engine. The "experience" is very powerful in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #17156
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Something about the whine of that SC in the videos. Something I didn't care for. But JMO.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #17157
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Something about the whine of that SC in the videos. Something I didn't care for. But JMO.
Understood, I personally think of superchargers more as 1/4 milers and boulevard bruisers.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #17158
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
If GM didn't have to meet emissions, we would have a NA Vette and Z/28. There are a number of engineers there that think like we do.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #17159
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
If GM didn't have to meet emissions, we would have a NA Vette and Z/28. There are a number of engineers there that think like we do.
What are your thoughts regarding the upcoming LT5?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #17160
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
What are your thoughts regarding the upcoming LT5?
Are we even sure we know what it is?

DOHC?

Displacement?

Anything DOHC will just flat cost more than the tried and true LT1 and LS3. But probably cheaper than a SC LT4, but it would probably be close.

We simply don't know enough yet.

My guess is it's a Mid Engine Corvette/Cadillac exclusive, but obviously you can have variants of the engine in displacement and output.

I'm curious to see where this goes, if and when it is announced.

Also, I'd need a more detailed explanation, but I'm not sure NA is an emissions problem. It was with the LS7 or so we are told, but I'm really not buying that a 6.2 L LT1 at 460 HP is ok, but bump it to 500 HP and suddenly it's an issue.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #17161
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
All we know is what the now deleted powertrain page on the VIN guide said. 6.2L DOHC LT5 V8.

With that being said, GM has screwed up on that thing many times before.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #17162
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

DOHC?

Displacement?

Anything DOHC will just flat cost more than the tried and true LT1 and LS3. But probably cheaper than a SC LT4, but it would probably be close.

My guess is it's a Mid Engine Corvette/Cadillac exclusive, but obviously you can have variants of the engine in displacement and output.

Also, I'd need a more detailed explanation, but I'm not sure NA is an emissions problem. It was with the LS7 or so we are told, but I'm really not buying that a 6.2 L LT1 at 460 HP is ok, but bump it to 500 HP and suddenly it's an issue.
I think it was more than just that...

Think about it, the engine which was the topic of that discussion where emissions came up was needed for the Z06. Frankly, as important as we think the Z/28 is, they weren't going to build an engine just for it.

That said, they had a benchmark for performance on that Z06, which was the outgoing ZR1. They'd need an engine capable of propelling such a car.

I think the necessary hp figure was far north of 500hp.

I also think it's a similar story for the Z/28 target, given the ZL1s performance figures...

In other news.....HouZe......I'm seriously considering making changes in future plans to get a ZL1 1LE.......
Old 02-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #17163
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:

DOHC?

Displacement?

All that we know is at the end page 5 of this pdf:

"LT5 | Y <platform>| gas engine 8 cylinder SIDI DOHC VVT aluminum GM"
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2018 Vincards Car 11-14-16 r1.0.pdf (178.9 KB, 116 views)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #17164
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I think it was more than just that...

Think about it, the engine which was the topic of that discussion where emissions came up was needed for the Z06. Frankly, as important as we think the Z/28 is, they weren't going to build an engine just for it.

That said, they had a benchmark for performance on that Z06, which was the outgoing ZR1. They'd need an engine capable of propelling such a car.

I think the necessary hp figure was far north of 500hp.
I'm thinking that it would have had to be 600 minimum. Figure a NA Z06 would still weigh about the same as the ZR1, maybe be a tad heavier. So it would have needed roughly the same hp to get similar straight line performance. Sure, tweaking the tires and suspension geometry and gearing and weight distribution all play a role ... but the fundamentals still come down to plain old power to weight.

Thats partially where I was coming from with having an 'LT7' engine in the mid 500 hp range for the Z/28. I'm sure that there was work done at GM powertrain to try and make such an engine exceed 600 hp for the C7 Z06, but it just wasn't feasible to produce in a cost effective manner while meeting emissions. However, if you move that target 10% closer it would get an awful lot easier. And since its scaling back a project that was shelved, it becomes cheaper on the R&D side than doing a 100% clean sheet design.

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014