Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
stock diff or 9"? who has broken a stock diff? anyone make a high hp carbon fiber ds?

I was pretty set on a 9" from gforce but now I am not so sure.

I have been told the fireball Camaro has been though a few stock rear diffs, not sure if it is true. I am looking at ~1200rwhp someday so a 9" seemed like a good idea.

then there is roho sniper. he told me he has 30-40 runs at 1300hp on a stock rear diff. best 60' I know of for him is 1.33. he is guessing he has ~600runs on that stock rear diff since he got the car.

other info he shared with me is he has broken a 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, he has also broken 2 level 5 axles due to wheel hop. he now has a steel driveshaft.

I was thinking a 9" kit would get me good for any power level but it seems the aftermarket axles and driveshaft may still break.

if not a 9" I was thinking the perfect set up might be a carbon fiber drive shaft and gforce outlaw axles. the carbon fiber driveshaft would help cushion the diff a little and maybe help it live. well I cant find anyone making a high hp(1000+) carbon fiber driveshaft. does anyone know of a place I should try?

next best option might be a 4" aluminum driveshaft and outlaw axles from gforce. they said the 4" is stronger and handles high mph better than the 3.5" but it may interfear with the exhaust or some other parts.

or just bite the bullet and get the 9" with a 4" aluminum driveshaft and outlaw axles. with this option I would get the added benefit of picking my rear gear ratio although I am not at all sure going with a lower gear would make the car quicker.

I guess I am settling on a 4" al driveshaft with outlaw axles unless someone can give me a good reason to do the 9" or can find a strong cf driveshaft for the stock diff.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
I’ve got the Outlaw axles....they’re fantastic. I also have their 3.5” shaft....again fantastic.

Biggest issue, I’m nowhere near your power levels....never will be. I can tell you though, I’ve been beating the snot out of them with my measly 540 hp running 126 in the 1/4 for the past year and a half without a hiccup. And that’s with a non 60’ manual car.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
Mma6483

Drives: 2017 Zl1
My build I'm currently doing will be in the 1200-1300hp range. I'm doing a Dss steel drive shaft and axles but am keeping the stock center section and will upgrade once it breaks.
Mma6483 is offline   Reply With Quote